Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

2016 Topps Chrome Baseball Hobby box review

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsors at Topps for providing us with this box.

2016 Topps Chrome Baseball is one of the most anticipated releases for baseball out there. Every year collectors chase the highly sought after rookies in each class year. This year is no exception with the popularity of. Topps has added a few new insert sets as well. Chase rookies of Corey Seager, Gary Sanchez, Nomar Mazara, and many many more.

The base set is comprised of 200 cards but with only 4 cards per pack it gonna take a few boxes to knock this set into completion. We found no duplicates in our box. Yet again, there is plenty of value to be found in a box of Topps Chrome Baseball even if you do not hit the bigger names. The red refractor hit of Gerrit Cole will go a long way in helping to recoup the cost of ones box.

As far as inserts go there the following:
    Youth Impact: Showcasing the brightest rookies of 2016. Including Green, Orange, Red and SuperFractor parallels.

Future Stars: Highlighting the top young players in MLB. Including Green, Orange, Red and SuperFractor (HOBBY SKUS ONLY) parallels.

First Pitch: Chroming the popular First Pitch insert set concept from Series 1. Including Orange, Red and Superfractor parallels.

As usual there's plenty of possibilities to hit Refractors and the many variations beyond.
    - Refractor
    - Prism Refractor
    - Purple Refractor: (#'ed to 275)
    - Blue Refractor: (#'ed to 150)
    - Green Refractor: (#'ed to 99)
    - Gold Refractor: (#'ed to 50)
    - Orange Refractor: (#'ed to 25 HOBBY ONLY)
    - Red Refractor: (#'ed to 5)
    - SuperFractor: (#'ed to 1 of 1)
    - Printing Plates: (#'ed to 1 of 1)

The autographs have a few different possibilities MLB Debut, Youth Impact and Team Logo autographs. All three sets have Orange, Red and SuperFractor numbered parallels. Look for dual autograph cards as well.

A full checklist can be found here at Topps site:
    http://www.topps.com/wp/wp-content/u...-Checklist.pdf

A few things to note:
    1) Find One ROY Insert Card seeded 1 PER CASE! These will be active veterans that have won the ROY award.
    2) HOT BOXES with Black Refractor Parallels replacing all Base Cards!!
    3) Carlos Correa chrome autograph will be inserted into this year product.

Product Configuration:
    24 Packs Per Box
    4 Cards Per Pack
    Two Autograph Cards Per Box or 5 per Jumbo Box

Price per box: $56 - 75 a box

What we pulled:
    70 base cards no dupe

1 purple #'ed refractor to 275

1 red refractor #'ed to 5

8 refractors

4 prism refractors

1 first pitch

2 youth impact

3 future stars

2 autographs

Final Thoughts:

Base- 4/5
    Design - 4/5
    Fun - 4.5/5
    Value - 4.5/5
    Rebuy - 4.5/5
    Overall 21.5/25 (86%)

NPN (No Purchase Necessary) and Stated Odds):

Once again, I'd like to thank our wonderful sponsors at Topps for giving us the opportunity to open and review this release. For more information on all of their products, visit them today at www.topps.com.

If you wish to request a few base cards or an insert card please send a SASE. Contact me and I will pull the card for you. VIP Members get preference for supporting SCF.
    Last edited by doniceage; 09-21-2016 at 05:47 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

These are some nice looking cards. The colorful cards play well as chrome versions, I am glad the white borders are gone from the design for the time being. also you actually gave this a 21.5/25, which i feel is right on point. loved my boxes i broke because of the nice cards and a carlos correa blue auto helps. overall i think this is a product i will try and complete as a set.

ps love the gerit cole, two breaks in a row you hit guys i like bo being the other one.
    Last edited by TheKingRoyal; 09-21-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: gerit cole love

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

These are some nice looking cards. The colorful cards play well as chrome versions, I am glad the white borders are gone from the design for the time being. also you actually gave this a 21.5/25, which i feel is right on point. loved my boxes i broke because of the nice cards and a carlos correa blue auto helps. overall i think this is a product i will try and complete as a set.

ps love the gerit cole, two breaks in a row you hit guys i like bo being the other one.

@TheKingRoyal

Thanks for the note. Corrected the math error. Much appreciated!

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

Pretty good break Don, those red refractors are one tough pull.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Bulls

Pretty nice pull. Love the look of the cards. Might be time to do a box myself.