Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Jaso1199's Items on eBay

Game Used Equipment Authentification Question

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying my first pieced of game-used memorabilia. The item in questions is a Mike Modano game used and auto'd stick. It is from a local seller here in Ontario (which is strange for a Modano piece to be here) however, the price is right which is why I'm entertaining it. The only problem is I haven't been able to find a photo match, and there is no accompanying COA at this time. Has anyone successfully matched a piece of equipment to a specific player? If so, what method did you use? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

SCF Rewards
    Country

My best advice, if it doesnt have a COA then dont touch it unless you know for sure it real.. I wouldnt be alarmed about Modano Memorabilia being here in Ontario though, people collect players that they like no matter where they live.. Go onto other sites & look at Autographed Modano Memorabilia & compare the signatures but still be wary cause they are very good forgers out there as well. Like I said earlier, if it doesnt have a COA from a reputable company i wouldnt touch it.. Just my 2 cents worth..

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying my first pieced of game-used memorabilia. The item in questions is a Mike Modano game used and auto'd stick. It is from a local seller here in Ontario (which is strange for a Modano piece to be here) however, the price is right which is why I'm entertaining it. The only problem is I haven't been able to find a photo match, and there is no accompanying COA at this time. Has anyone successfully matched a piece of equipment to a specific player? If so, what method did you use? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

You can also check game film to match it. Might have been a Wings GU, which would make sense in Ontario
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Did you look through the photos on gettyimages.com?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    See aaron417's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

COA for game used sticks are hard to come by, I don't think any of my game used sticks have one, that said check the auto against his other autos and remember players go through multiple sticks per month/week, sometimes per game. It might be hard to find a match to the exact stick to a game or set of games, but like others had said youtube, getty, UD.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

One way you can check is if you can dig up photos of the team's stick rack to see how the equipment managers/players mark their sticks (and then compare). I know for the Caps, it is usually the equipment guys that write the players' number on the top of the handle to sort them on the rack. Certain people write certain numbers in particular ways. If you can find how the equipment guys wrote Modano's number, then check to see if the one you are looking at is written in the same style/color/etc. For instance, if a player uses red/green tape on his handle, is his number written in black or silver Sharpie? Yes, that is easy to copy, but if it is marked differently, then you know for sure it isn't right.

Certain players also mark their own sticks with different numbers/marks/signs (usually below the uniform number) to identify particular sticks. For instance, Alex Ovechkin will have different sticks with different numbers that identify the curve of the blade. He usually uses more of a curve on the power play to get more rise in his shot (at least that is what I think). But he does definitely use different number sticks at different times in the game. Defensemen sometimes use different marked sticks when they are on the PK -- I think it has to do with the lie/ly (sp?) of the stick because they'll use a longer stick on the PK.

So if you can find a photo of a stick you know is legit, then compare the markings to see if they are the same.

You can also compare how much tape is on the stick, how the tape is wrapped, how sticky the stick is, etc. Every player has a particular way they like the tape on their stick, and they always wrap it the same way every time. Also players have all different preferences on how sticky their stick is. Some don't add anything, and some want their stick to stick to them even if they aren't holding it. Those are all things you can check. Of course, it requires access to a stick that you already know is real.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

One way you can check is if you can dig up photos of the team's stick rack to see how the equipment managers/players mark their sticks (and then compare). I know for the Caps, it is usually the equipment guys that write the players' number on the top of the handle to sort them on the rack. Certain people write certain numbers in particular ways. If you can find how the equipment guys wrote Modano's number, then check to see if the one you are looking at is written in the same style/color/etc. For instance, if a player uses red/green tape on his handle, is his number written in black or silver Sharpie? Yes, that is easy to copy, but if it is marked differently, then you know for sure it isn't right.

Certain players also mark their own sticks with different numbers/marks/signs (usually below the uniform number) to identify particular sticks. For instance, Alex Ovechkin will have different sticks with different numbers that identify the curve of the blade. He usually uses more of a curve on the power play to get more rise in his shot (at least that is what I think). But he does definitely use different number sticks at different times in the game. Defensemen sometimes use different marked sticks when they are on the PK -- I think it has to do with the lie/ly (sp?) of the stick because they'll use a longer stick on the PK.

So if you can find a photo of a stick you know is legit, then compare the markings to see if they are the same.

You can also compare how much tape is on the stick, how the tape is wrapped, how sticky the stick is, etc. Every player has a particular way they like the tape on their stick, and they always wrap it the same way every time. Also players have all different preferences on how sticky their stick is. Some don't add anything, and some want their stick to stick to them even if they aren't holding it. Those are all things you can check. Of course, it requires access to a stick that you already know is real.

This is a pretty in depth response and what I would go with. The above mentioned looking on gettyimages.com is how I usually match various pieces of equipment from players I have acquired. Sticks are hard because they go through so many. But at least you can get an idea of what brand/model/color stick Modano may have used to see if it is legit. The way players tape their sticks is a huge identifier, as most of them have noticeable tape jobs at the top, whether specific numbers, and then location/how it's put on there is usually a big tell.