Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: Should a Division Champion get a Top 4 Seed Despite an Undeserving W / L Record?

Voters
6. This poll is closed
  • Yes

4 66.67%
  • No

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Question The AFC SOUTH is a Complete JOKE - 8 wins will WIN the Division IMO :-(

The AFC South is a joke division. I honestly think 8 wins will win the division and it wouldn't shock me if the Texans finish 8-8 and not only earn a playoff spot, but ridiculously enough earn the #4 seed, while a team like the defending Super Bowl champion Broncos could go 10-6 and miss out on the playoffs entirely (unless they follow my advice and wisely trade for TONY ROMO before the deadline). In fact, I think the Broncos, Bengals, Bills and maybe even the Ravens could all win more games than the Texans and all still miss the playoffs entirely ... that's absurd.

I really wish the NFL would just put the 6 best teams in the playoffs, and if that can't happen and they feel they have to include each division champion, at least not guarantee a division champion one of the top 4 seeds. There is just no way an 8-8 Texans team should not only make the playoffs but get a HOME GAME against a 10-11 win team ... it's ridiculous.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

SCF Rewards
    Country

What is the argument FOR divisions in football? I mean keeping the AFC and NFC separate I could see but what is the reasoning behind smaller divisions in the NFL?
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I agree, the whole thing is nonsensical ... I also hate how the divisions and conferences are even put together.

I mean, how in the world can Miami be in the AFC East while Jacksonville is in the AFC South and Tampa Bay is in the NFC South? That is absurd.

The three Florida teams should be in one division with the Falcons if there has to be divisions, but at the very least the three teams should be in the same conference!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

Yes. A division champ should get a spot in the playoffs, even with a crappy overall record.

First, let me just say I understand your reasoning, but I do NOT want Tony Romo. Thanks, but no thanks. I am willing to suffer and rebuild at the position rather than go with him. I just don't trust he can stay healthy, and I worn forgive a late game stupid play that costs us a season. Maybe someone else, and I realize not everyone agrees with my opinion, but I am not a Tony Romo fan.

But I would support him should they do as you suggest, of course...

Now, back to the division thing.

I just feel that the divisions are set up pretty fairly, with the goal to give each team a 1 in 4 shot at hosting a playoff game and advancing in the sudden death tournament.

I also like that teams like the Dolphins have remained in their divisions, and that the NFL has tried to keep old rivals in the same divisions. Losing the Seahawks years ago wasn't so painful had it been the Raiders to me. While Seattle might consider Denver a big rival going back, we've forgotten about them as rivals long ago. (It was ALWAYS the Raiders for us.)

No, I would not be happy if we, at 10-6, have play AT Houston at 8-8, but if that's our path, than so be it.

I guess it doesn't bother me so much, and I am pretty happy with the league's current alignment. I just hope the Raiders don't leave the division when they leave Oakland.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree, the whole thing is nonsensical ... I also hate how the divisions and conferences are even put together.

I mean, how in the world can Miami be in the AFC East while Jacksonville is in the AFC South and Tampa Bay is in the NFC South? That is absurd.

The three Florida teams should be in one division with the Falcons if there has to be divisions, but at the very least the three teams should be in the same conference!

I'm pretty sure the NFL aligned the divisions to keep rivalries intact. I mean the Cowboys are in the NFC East yet they play in Dallas, Texas and there isn't much east about the middle of Texas.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (44)
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds Texas Rangers

Yay I'm just glad the Texans only 4 more wins & we're in then we can lost the rest. Of course this is only according to your OP & suggestion.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Sacramento Kings San Francisco Giants
    See rdaveigajr85's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Why pick on the AFC South? The AFC south has combined record of 8-9 outside division, where as NFC south has combined record outside division of 7-10.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Sacramento Kings San Francisco Giants
    See rdaveigajr85's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

So was bored so went ahead and ranked the divisions by record outside division here is what i have:

NFC EAST: 11-4
    AFC WEST: 9-6
    NFC NORTH: 9-7
    AFC EAST: 9-9
    AFC SOUTH: 8-9
    NFC WEST: 6-7
    NFC SOUTH: 7-10
    AFC NORTH: 7-13

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Why pick on the AFC South? The AFC south has combined record of 8-9 outside division, where as NFC south has combined record outside division of 7-10.

I picked on them because I believe the "best" team in the AFC South is worse than the best team in every other division, however, I don't believe the winner of any division should receive a home playoff game over another team with a better record.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yay I'm just glad the Texans only 4 more wins & we're in then we can lost the rest. Of course this is only according to your OP & suggestion.

I'd put $$$ on the AFC South's 2nd place team having 8 wins or less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast