Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

The Cup vs Ultimate Leaf. Whats your thoughts?

Hey Folks,

I have been on the fence with buying some of the new CUP. I wanted to get some of your opinions on the product. I have gone in some group breaks with the Leaf product and I have been leaning more towards the LEAF end of it.

I like the design on the Leaf stuff personally to the CUP. The price point to is another bonus to the LEAF product.

What's do you think of the two products?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

It's a hard make a direct comparison of the two. They are both totally different products with a different focus.

For some collectors, cash in king. So I would see that go towards Leafs favour.

However, The Cup has been a long-standing 'staple' product embedded in this hobby for the last 10 years, and there's a lot of pluses to that.

But it all depends on what you are looking for that matters. Do you want some sweet vintage pieces that are so rare it'll make your head spin? I'd say go with Leaf.

Do you want to hit THE card that everyone is looking for right now? Then I would go with The Cup and try to pull a McDavid or another Rookie that people are more likely to fall for since they are currently playing and (hopefully) putting up some points. Plus The Cup has some flashier designs and hard-signed stuff which is always a plus.

Sticking with the design aspect though, I do love what Leaf has been doing with their foil lately. Some very nice stuff indeed. Very shiny cards is very nice :)

Although I haven't looked up many completed sales to see how Leaf Ultimate does on the secondary market, I would assume Leaf Ultimate would give you more bang for your buck price wise. The Cup this year is insanely high and will no doubt crush some poor collectors wallet (every product does from time-to-time) but you get my point.

But it depends on your personal collecting focus as well. Vintage or Modern?

Based on what you've said so far in your original post, I think you should go with Leaf. I can't make the decision for you, but that's where I think you're already leaning a bit :)

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Hit some big cards! :)
    Last edited by creasecollector; 12-02-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I think Leaf Ultimate is the safer break, the Cup is a bigger gamble. I prefer the Cup design to the Leaf Ultimate, but I would say the Leaf Ultimate would give you the better return, only way you make your money back in the Cup is if you hit a monster. In Leaf Ultimate, plenty of decent value cards in there to help recoup the funds.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Personally, I avoid Leaf for several reasons:
    the lack of true rookie cards
    the price point is too high
    less desirable to hockey collectors
    non-licensure severely limits card design
    nothing to offer for collectors on a limited budget and young hobbyists

The Cup is one of the hobby's most desirable products. However, for a high end product it has more than it's share of rookies that won't amount to much in the NHL. If you're saving your money to buy 1 or 2 boxes you're likely to be disappointed, at least that's been my experience, I can live w/out a chance at a really big hit as the odds never seem to break in my favor.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Some good opinions. I do like the vintage memorabilia personally I think that's why I gravitate towards the LEAF product.

I would hate to spend big bucks on a tin of the CUP to get some no name RC patches that will drop in price drastically after the hype of the product. Also I am a Leaf collector and this year's cup isn't packed with many Leafs (Next year ooooooh boy look out!). I may try my hand in the Matthews Cup year.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

I bought 1 box of Ultimate and got in return 75% back in sales. You womt do that too often with the cup
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @Goggy29

I'm more of a UD fan but would be willing to try Leaf. Not a huge fan of how the Leaf look though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ya I've seen some of the breaks on here and @ $800 a tin and sad to say they may get almost half that value so far? If you don't hit the big McDavid or massive hit I think it's a huge waste. I really really want to like this product but man I dunno.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Cool

Personally, I would choose Leaf :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ramz9082's Items on eBay

I have to choose The Cup, because I'm not a fan of using digital pictures of jerseys instead of the player. I can tolerate real pictures of jerseys, but the ones that look like they came straight from the NHL online store are gross.

Plus the only Islanders offering in the set is Bossy, and his digital jersey picture is the worst of the bunch.

However from a realistic standpoint, I don't think The Cup is worth what they are charging. Leaf is about right cost wise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast