Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

Debating selling all of my Upper Deck to focus on Vintage and OPC

Over the past few weeks I have been debating on something. That is do I continue to buy Upper Deck and do Series 1 and 2 along with the new versions of OPC or do I sell all of my Upper Deck and focus on Vintage and OPC?

The reason is that each year the cost of doing the Upper Deck Series 1 and 2 along with doing the OPC and OPC Retro is costly. One reason is the exchange between US and Canada. The boxes we buy in Canada are much more each year (at least of late) due to the exchange between the 2 countries currency. The YG's - though 90% of the set is common, the other 10% at times are in a price range that makes it hard to do, especially on a limited budget. Then the OPC. I continue doing the OPC as I have collected OPC since I was 6 - that is 38 years. The reason I do it, is because I have done it almost all of my life. The OPC Retro's I do are to get a look of what cards looked like back when I started 1980's and sooner. The problem is that the OPC Retro's are more expensive in book value as they are limited in the boxes.

I have many good people that a trade with that help me with my sets. Some help me out and don't ask for anything or much in return and then others I trade book value for book value.

To complete the sets I do - as I am a set collector - takes alot more time, energy, trades and money to do.

However, I love the vintage as this too me is when hockey was hockey. When a guy was body checked into the boards at the Old Boston Garden and boards shook and the fans when crazy. It pumped up everyone!!!

About a month ago I bought 55 vintage 1973-74 OPC on Ebay. At times I have had some very bad luck with vintage on Ebay as the condition the cards come in are not what I want nor are they like the comments listed them to be. But, this purchase, this one was different - all of the cards were what I wanted. The corners sharp and centering 50/50. This also when I thought more about vintage. The problem though is that it is getting harder and harder to find in the condition I am looking for and just plain getting harder to locate.

My collection now goes back to 1973-74 and I am working on all of my 1970's OPC sets to complete them.

To me the chase of getting a common vintage card in pack fresh condition is more of a thrill then opening a new pack of UD. With the new stuff, I am hoping first to get my money back. Second, to get a higher end YG or trader for trade bait. Third, trying to complete a set. Which unless I hit it right with a box or many boxes, will get me to my goal of set completion.

My Upper Deck starts right from the 1st year they started 1990. I have many higher end YG's - Nash, Crosby, RNH, etc. Along with short prints from the 2002-03 set, etc. I know I could sell most of the cards as a good start for my vintage collection.

This is a decision I know that I need to make, but want to know thoughts from you and also feedback from others that have been in a similar situation.

Thank you.

Tony

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jffoland's Items on eBay

maybe just collect 1 of your favorite sets,and put the rest towards vintage? Try to get the best of both worlds! If you do both, over time you should get a feel for what you like best.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr2latino's Items on eBay

Don't do it!! I don't need more competition

I kid of course. I switched over 100% last year and couldn't be happier. The only thing current that I do is HOFer autos. That being said I didn't have the collection you had, just a few hundred autos/mem/YG.