Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Should the best hits be in Retail boxes instead of Hobby?

Hey everyone, I'm back after a 15+ year hiatus from the hobby. Something struck me about the state of the hobby, and I wanted to share. I've discovered that many of the brands I'm interested in bury the best "hits" in Hobby boxes, and that the retail packs are a somewhat dulled down product.

Shouldn't the best "hits" be offered in Retail packs instead of buried in Hobby boxes (or atleast an even distribution)? I would think that it would be in everyone's best interest to have some monster cards in retail packs - younger collectors, and those only dabbling in the hobby, usually only buy a pack at a time. Isn't the idea to turn pack buyers into box buyers? What better way to do that than have them get a great pull from their local Target?
    I feel like the retail packs are a ripoff, and that's the exact demographic that shouldn't be getting ripped off!

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you had the best hits in retail the whole pack searching problem would be 10 times worse than it is now
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think it's okay right now. I mean, if you want those elusive and rare finds, you'll need to spend a little more $$$ and grab a hobby box. If you want a more casual break with a small chance at a nice card, costing less money with more than likely minimal return to pad your traders box, then retail is there waiting for you. And that's cool.

Each option (Hobby/Retail) has its rightful place in my opinion with UD Series 1 & 2 releases.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 12-04-2016 at 10:17 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Would you rather have more customers in hobby shops, or in Target's/Walmart's? I'd rather have them in hobby shops. Put some decent stuff in retail to give them a taste, and draw them into the hobby shops for the hobby boxes for bigger & better stuff.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Exactly what Geschrocks33 said. My cousin actually had a strange spree of pulling SP rookies from several retail sets at his local Convenience Store. There are those good cards in retail but they should be more sporadic than hobby boxes. Also in many places pack-searching is a real problem. Not just from a select few who perhaps make a living solely on pack-searching but some employees too. Also if you get really young kids buying quite a few times those nice cards get over-looked and damaged or simply lost. Think about all the McDonalds cards from back in the day.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors

back when Crosby YG came out I got 2 of my 3 YG in retail blasters and over the years have got some nice cards in retail but stay away from artifacts and black diamond blasters

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm not sure why you keep using the terminology of "buried" hits in hobby boxes. Hobby shops are the lifeblood of the hobby, a place where collectors can meet up, hang out, make trades, and much more. Retail outlets are not. Wal-Mart is not going to host a trade night or hold on to a rare single for you.

Retail is a good alternative and a foot in the door for mass-market releases, but the LCS is the true gateway to the hobby and all it has to offer.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors

A lot of City and towns do not have LCS So we have to buy from Walmart Shoppers Drug Mart ETC

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not possible to put the best hits in retail. Entirely different business model compared to hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wish more brick and mortar hobby shops existed... Sadly with the ones that do, many have expanded to selling other things not remotely close to sports cards or even sports. I'd love to support my LCS but the price increase they put on product makes competing with online wholesalers difficult. Am I going to spend an additional 30-40 bucks (sometimes more, sometimes less) and buy from my local guy? Or am I going to go online to a wholesaler, get the same hobby boxes for much cheaper and get it shipped free in many cases to my home?! Without ever leaving my apartment/house/office/condo/flat etc and fighting the traffic or wasting the gas to get there and back. Anymore, I'm usually going to purchase singles, supplies and maybe an occasional couple of packs to curb my need to open product, sadly aside from that everything else I buy as it relates to sports cards is usually from an online wholesaler.

That being said, I have purchased five boxes from a LCS of UD Hockey 16-17 hobby this year, but only because his price matched the wholesaler and I wanted instant release day gratification.
    Last edited by CasualCollector28; 12-05-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast