Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know. I kind of really like the idea of the tie breaker for getting the final team into the playoffs (would a tie breaker get anybody else in?) to be the record versus the teams that already made it. It might make for some interesting upsets if that was the case.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

How can you say they played in a superior division? 2 teams from Detroits division are in the playoffs. The Lions were in every game except for the Dallas game. The TB between Tampa and Detroit was record vs common opponents, which the Lions obviously were better. This is sounding like the argument about getting rid of the electoral college, LOL!

I can say that because it's true. The NFC South was 33-31 this year while the NFC North was 30-36.

Also, again, the Bucs beat the AFC's #2 seed and the NFC's #2 and #3 seeds this year ... the Lions didn't beat a single playoff team ... not one.]

As for the Cowboys ... the Bucs almost beat them in a game that meant a lot to the Cowboys ... in a game that meant less to the Boys, the Lions were slaughtered.

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can say that because it's true. The NFC South was 33-31 this year while the NFC North was 30-36.

Also, again, the Bucs beat the AFC's #2 seed and the NFC's #2 and #3 seeds this year ... the Lions didn't beat a single playoff team ... not one.]

As for the Cowboys ... the Bucs almost beat them in a game that meant a lot to the Cowboys ... in a game that meant less to the Boys, the Lions were slaughtered.

And yet there are 2 teams from that division in! So the Bucs should be in because the Panthers didn't suck as bad as the Bears did? Maybe don't lose to a sucky Rams team and they would be in.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Eagles
    Twitter: @docsobolatin See Scobes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

And yet there are 2 teams from that division in! So the Bucs should be in because the Panthers didn't suck as bad as the Bears did? Maybe don't lose to a sucky Rams team and they would be in.

I agree with michigandan. The NFC North was a better division with 2 Playoff teams. Plus the Lions had a better point differential (-12) than the Lions (-15). 5 of the 7 losses the Lions had were against Playoff teams, and the other 2 losses (Tennessee and Chicago) were only by a combined 4 points. Meanwhile the Bucs lost to 4 non-playoff teams (Arizona, Rams, Denver, and Saints) being outscored in those 4 losses 135 to 70. Losing to a bad Rams team should keep the Bucs out of the playoffs. If the Bucs had gotten the job done against the lesser teams, they would be in on their own merit. The tie-breakers are working just fine.

Scobes
    Hidden Content -- Hidden Content
    Baseball - Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Mark Sobolewski, Vintage, Set Needs & Phillies (in PHI uniform)
    Hockey - Valeri Kamensky, Chris Bala, Bob Kudelski, Patrick Rissmiller, & Autos/#ed/Base cards of Flyers (in PHI uniform)
    Football - 1950-60s Vintage & Eagles Autos Golf - Tiger Woods Basketball - 76ers Autos & Low-Numbered
    ABSOLUTELY NO INTERNATIONAL TRADING!!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't know. I kind of really like the idea of the tie breaker for getting the final team into the playoffs (would a tie breaker get anybody else in?) to be the record versus the teams that already made it. It might make for some interesting upsets if that was the case.

I agree 100%. I believe the Lions will get smacked around by the Seahawks and that will be that ... with the Bucs however, they dominated the Seahawks when they played them and I honestly think they could win that game which would give them a second round game in Dallas ... a team they almost beat just a couple weeks back and possibly would have had they had their starting LT (as the backup was just abused in that game) ...

I believe the Bucs would make a lot more "noise" in these playoffs than the Lions will.

Um, the 2nd team is Detroit, who has the exact same record as the Bucs but didn't beat a single playoff team all year, while the Bucs beat 3 of them ... that's what we're talking about.

Yes, had the Bucs beat the Rams they would be in the playoffs, but my point is that AS-IS, they have the same record as the Lions but have a far more impressive resume and therefore should be the #6 seed.

Look at it in an NCAA way ... why wasn't Western Michigan in the CFP this year even though they were undefeated? Because they didn't beat any legit teams. The Lions didn't win one single game all year long against a playoff team while the Bucs beat the #3 seed in the NFC as well as both the #2 seed in the AFC and the #2 seed in the NFC on the road.

The Lions and Bucs are both 9-7 but the Bucs have a far, far, far more impressive resume ... that's all I'm saying and it's not even debatable.

I agree with michigandan. The NFC North was a better division with 2 Playoff teams. Plus the Lions had a better point differential (-12) than the Lions (-15). 5 of the 7 losses the Lions had were against Playoff teams, and the other 2 losses (Tennessee and Chicago) were only by a combined 4 points. Meanwhile the Bucs lost to 4 non-playoff teams (Arizona, Rams, Denver, and Saints) being outscored in those 4 losses 135 to 70. Losing to a bad Rams team should keep the Bucs out of the playoffs. If the Bucs had gotten the job done against the lesser teams, they would be in on their own merit. The tie-breakers are working just fine.

I stand by what I said above and I can't really imagine why anyone would disagree ... both teams are 9-7 but one team didn't beat a single playoff team all year while the other, the one that is staying home beat THREE of the top six teams in the entire league. That seems absurd to me and if the resumes were reversed and the Lions were the ones missing out, I'd believe the same way.

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I agree 100%. I believe the Lions will get smacked around by the Seahawks and that will be that ... with the Bucs however, they dominated the Seahawks when they played them and I honestly think they could win that game which would give them a second round game in Dallas ... a team they almost beat just a couple weeks back and possibly would have had they had their starting LT (as the backup was just abused in that game) ...

I believe the Bucs would make a lot more "noise" in these playoffs than the Lions will.

Um, the 2nd team is Detroit, who has the exact same record as the Bucs but didn't beat a single playoff team all year, while the Bucs beat 3 of them ... that's what we're talking about.

Yes, had the Bucs beat the Rams they would be in the playoffs, but my point is that AS-IS, they have the same record as the Lions but have a far more impressive resume and therefore should be the #6 seed.

Look at it in an NCAA way ... why wasn't Western Michigan in the CFP this year even though they were undefeated? Because they didn't beat any legit teams. The Lions didn't win one single game all year long against a playoff team while the Bucs beat the #3 seed in the NFC as well as both the #2 seed in the AFC and the #2 seed in the NFC on the road.

The Lions and Bucs are both 9-7 but the Bucs have a far, far, far more impressive resume ... that's all I'm saying and it's not even debatable.

I stand by what I said above and I can't really imagine why anyone would disagree ... both teams are 9-7 but one team didn't beat a single playoff team all year while the other, the one that is staying home beat THREE of the top six teams in the entire league. That seems absurd to me and if the resumes were reversed and the Lions were the ones missing out, I'd believe the same way.

It's debatable, because it's all based on your opinion! The fact is according to the NFL the Lions are the better team. My whole point when i first commented was the Lions were never a factor in the Bucs getting in the playoffs. The tiebreaker system has been in place for years, i'm just not in favor of changing a system just because my team missed out. And for the record, i think the Bucs are a great young team and will be in the playoffs next year for sure. As for the Lions, you may be right they might get blown out. But at least they have a shot.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

It's debatable, because it's all based on your opinion!

What opinion?

It is a fact that the Bucs beat the AFC's #2 seed and the NFC's #2 and #3 seeds.

It is a fact that the Lions didn't beat a single playoff team all year long.

It is a fact that the Bucs almost beat the Cowboys while the Lions were obliterated by the same team

Those are all facts, not opinions.

The fact is according to the NFL the Lions are the better team.

No, not "the better team", simply the team that won a tie-breaker. You do know that in some years there are even teams with better records sitting at home while teams with lesser records make the playoffs ... the NFL playoff system needs revising.

Imagine if next year the Bucs win their division with a 10-6 record while the Lions finish in 3rd place in their division but finish with an 11-5 record and even beat the Bucs head-to-head and yet they have to watch the playoffs ... that would NOT mean the Bucs were "the better team" according to the NFL, only that under the current rules they made it in.

My whole point when i first commented was the Lions were never a factor in the Bucs getting in the playoffs. The tiebreaker system has been in place for years, i'm just not in favor of changing a system just because my team missed out. And for the record, i think the Bucs are a great young team and will be in the playoffs next year for sure. As for the Lions, you may be right they might get blown out. But at least they have a shot.

Rules are meant to be changed and the longer extra point in the NFL now is a good example. The way the playoff teams are decided and even seeded needs changing.

The Raiders should be at home against the Texans rather than on the road as they had a far better record (12-4 vs. 9-7) AND beat the Texans head to head on a neutral field in Mexico.

The NFL playoff system needs tweaking ...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

I think the tie breaker is perfect.

Maybe win more games?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think the tie breaker is perfect.

Maybe win more games?

Um, the Bucs won the exact same amount of games as the Lions, so the amount of wins isn't the problem ... the tie-breakers are the problem.

Do you really believe the Texans should be at home against the Raiders despite the Raiders winning 3 more games and beating them head to head on a neutral field? I doubt it. The NFL playoff system needs tweaking, period.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Um, the Bucs won the exact same amount of games as the Lions, so the amount of wins isn't the problem ... the tie-breakers are the problem.

Do you really believe the Texans should be at home against the Raiders despite the Raiders winning 3 more games and beating them head to head on a neutral field? I doubt it. The NFL playoff system needs tweaking, period.

Win more than the Lions. Jameis should never lose a game!

Yeah I think even if the division winner has a losing record they should still host the first games. The current tie breaker works. How best to compare two teams? By looking at their common opponents.

You probably think we should just do away with the divisions too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast