Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Question Nfl playoff "tie-breakers" need t be fixed

I'm happy to see the Detroit Lions, the team of my youth, in the playoffs again ... but ... I think it's absurd they won the "tie-breaker" over the Buccaneers and feel it's quite obvious the Bucs should be the #6 seed.

Consider:

Both teams finished with an identical 9-7 record

Both teams finished 2nd in their division

The Lions closed the season a 3 game losing streak while the Bucs won 6 of their last 8 games

The Bucs beat three playoff teams (Chiefs, Falcons and Seahawks) ... the Lions did not beat a single playoff team

Yet the Lions get to play Seattle (a team Tampa beat) in the first round of the playoffs and will be heavy underdogs, while the Bucs will be watching from home ...

The "tie-breakers" need to be fixed imho

I also believe teams should be seeded according to record and not divisions ... the Raiders should not have to travel to Houston, a team that won 3 less games and even lost to the Raiders in the regular season ... on a neutral field (Mexico) no less.

Your thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it should. There is a lot that the NFL could easily fix to make it an improved experienced but the commissioner seems hell bent on doing other garbage rather than listening to what the fans want.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

^ I agree ... Roger Goodell seems to be trolling his own fans ... strange

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Tampa's playoff tiebreaker didn't include the Lions, not sure how it came down to this but here is the playoff scenario as of 2 days ago. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p...ff_scenarios_1

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Tampa's playoff tiebreaker didn't include the Lions, not sure how it came down to this but here is the playoff scenario as of 2 days ago. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p...ff_scenarios_1

Yes, Tampa lost the tie-breaker to the Lions as both finished 9-7 and were vying for the #6 seed as neither won their division ... the Lions won on the "common opponents" tie-breaker because they beat the Rams ... it's just a bit silly to me though is all as Tampa was the hotter team (6-2 over their last 8) and had beat three top playoff teams while the Lions beat none all year ...

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes, Tampa lost the tie-breaker to the Lions as both finished 9-7 and were vying for the #6 seed as neither won their division ... the Lions won on the "common opponents" tie-breaker because they beat the Rams ... it's just a bit silly to me though is all as Tampa was the hotter team (6-2 over their last 8) and had beat three top playoff teams while the Lions beat none all year ...

My point was the Lions were not even in the equation for Tampa making the playoffs the last week of the season. And why would winning 6 of your last 8 make them better? The Lions ran off 6 straight at one point in the season. The tb are set up the way they are to ensure the better team gets in. Granted the Lions lost the last 3 games of the season, but those 3 are arguably the best 3 NFC teams this year.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That is sort of my point, namely that the NFL's tie-breakers do NOT ensure the best team gets in. If they were, the Bucs and not the Lions would be the #6 seed.

Both the Lions and Bucs won 9 games and finished in 2nd place in their division, and the Bucs played in a superior division. However the Lions didn't beat a single playoff team all year long while the Bucs beat the #2 and #3 seeds in the NFC and the #2 seed in the AFC as well ... two of those wins being on the road as well.

I just think that if playoff teams have the same exact record and did not play each other during the season, or did and tied in that game, that everything should be taken into account and the better team should get the spot ... sort of like how it's supposed to work with the NCAA tourney in basketball.

For example, let's say the Dolphins and Broncos had each won 10 games this year but under the current rules the Dolphins would get the #6 seed based on record against common opponents, yet not only had they not beat any playoff teams but their starting QB was injured and they had a backup leading them, while the Broncos had beat multiple playoff teams, were on a solid hot streak and had no significant injuries ... I'd rather see the Broncos get that final playoff spot.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The only way to determine who is the "better" team if the teams have the same record and there's no head to head is common opponents. What does "who is hotter" mean? What if Detroit played 3 playoff teams to close the season (they did) and TB played 5 of there last 6 against non playoff teams. The tie breakers are actually pretty good IMO

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Again Tampa actually beat three playoff teams, twice on the road ... Detroit didn't beat a single playoff team ... I don't think the current tie-breakers work

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is sort of my point, namely that the NFL's tie-breakers do NOT ensure the best team gets in. If they were, the Bucs and not the Lions would be the #6 seed.

Both the Lions and Bucs won 9 games and finished in 2nd place in their division, and the Bucs played in a superior division. However the Lions didn't beat a single playoff team all year long while the Bucs beat the #2 and #3 seeds in the NFC and the #2 seed in the AFC as well ... two of those wins being on the road as well.

I just think that if playoff teams have the same exact record and did not play each other during the season, or did and tied in that game, that everything should be taken into account and the better team should get the spot ... sort of like how it's supposed to work with the NCAA tourney in basketball.

For example, let's say the Dolphins and Broncos had each won 10 games this year but under the current rules the Dolphins would get the #6 seed based on record against common opponents, yet not only had they not beat any playoff teams but their starting QB was injured and they had a backup leading them, while the Broncos had beat multiple playoff teams, were on a solid hot streak and had no significant injuries ... I'd rather see the Broncos get that final playoff spot.

How can you say they played in a superior division? 2 teams from Detroits division are in the playoffs. The Lions were in every game except for the Dallas game. The TB between Tampa and Detroit was record vs common opponents, which the Lions obviously were better. This is sounding like the argument about getting rid of the electoral college, LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast