Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

McDonald's Mini Masks from 1995 ( Test Market Set)

I seen a few pics of a Mike Vernon Red Wings Mcdonald's mini mask yet that supposedly doesn't exist in the first 7 pc test market set? The bases on the test market set and the 11 pc set were different. This Vernon appeared to match that of a test market base as well? Could it have been made and very limited / one off or a fake?

Anyone have any insight?

Also looking for any promo stuff like placemats, plastic clamshell display signs tec !

Mark

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can offer a bit of insight into that set....

The "Test" set was released in Saskatoon only, during the 1995-96 season (I think) where the "regular" set was released during the 1996-97 season.

The "regular" set has 11 masks, but 4 were short printed (I think maybe they were just available regionally?)

These were easily available:
    Thibault
    Richter
    Roy
    Potvin
    Ranford
    Belfour
    Vanbiesbrouck

And the SPs:
    Rhodes
    Cujo
    McLean
    Kidd

The test issues... the base is the obviously identifier. It will have English only, instead of English & French.

I'm pretty certain there were just these Seven (and I've broken them up into three groups):

Look Nearly Identical to the Regular one from the following year:
    Felix Potvin
    Ed Belfour
    Kirk McLean

No mask the following year in the regular set:
    Tim Cheveldae (Jets)
    Guy Hebert (Ducks)
    Wade Flaherty (Sharks)

Changed Teams:
    Bill Ranford (Test mask is Oilers, regular release is Bruins)

I've never heard of a Vernon mask... do you have a picture to show?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Then I have ALL of them less the possibility of that Vernon mask (if even legit)?

I do have a picture of it but will have to try and locate it. Been awhile....

SCF Rewards
    Country

This has to be a fake but some thought and detail went into it. Would love to find the guy who did it. I'd do many more various masks just for the hell of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

These masks look sweet!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

The picture looks like it's a real thing.... could be a custom job, that's REALLY well done if it is.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

I used to have the Vanbiesbrouck back in the day, with his sweet Panthers mask. Probably still in my parents basement somewhere.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

This has to be a fake but some thought and detail went into it. Would love to find the guy who did it. I'd do many more various masks just for the hell of it.

Looks pretty legit to me!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47 COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can offer a bit of insight into that set....

The "Test" set was released in Saskatoon only, during the 1995-96 season (I think) where the "regular" set was released during the 1996-97 season.

The "regular" set has 11 masks, but 4 were short printed (I think maybe they were just available regionally?)

These were easily available:
    Thibault
    Richter
    Roy
    Potvin
    Ranford
    Belfour
    Vanbiesbrouck

And the SPs:
    Rhodes
    Cujo
    McLean
    Kidd

The test issues... the base is the obviously identifier. It will have English only, instead of English & French.

I'm pretty certain there were just these Seven (and I've broken them up into three groups):

Look Nearly Identical to the Regular one from the following year:
    Felix Potvin
    Ed Belfour
    Kirk McLean

No mask the following year in the regular set:
    Tim Cheveldae (Jets)
    Guy Hebert (Ducks)
    Wade Flaherty (Sharks)

Changed Teams:
    Bill Ranford (Test mask is Oilers, regular release is Bruins)

I've never heard of a Vernon mask... do you have a picture to show?

It would make sense that the SP's were available only regionally. McDonald's also did their mini jerseys the same way. Buddy of mine got a complete set, except for Iginla, which was readily available in Calgary and area, but not out here in Vancouver.
    Now, was the Rhodes a Senators mask, and if so, how short printed was it? That would look SWEET in my Sens paraphernalia collection!
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes it was!

Here's a link to an auciton that ended.. it shows a close up of one side of the Rhodes.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/McDonalds-199...sAAOSwo4pYXKCf

I'm not sure how the distribution worked on the regional SPs... as 3 of the 4 goalies played for Western teams (Cujo, Kidd, McLean).

None of them are actually that SP'd, and it shouldn't cost you a lot of money. You can see that one didn't sell for $4 USD. Best bet is if you can find them at a card show... shouldn't cost more than $5 CDN. The obvious downside to buying online is shipping, no way to make that cheap, even inside Canada.

They're cool looking masks though. I have both versions of the Ranford... and did pay a lot of $$$ to get the Oilers version.

It would make sense that the SP's were available only regionally. McDonald's also did their mini jerseys the same way. Buddy of mine got a complete set, except for Iginla, which was readily available in Calgary and area, but not out here in Vancouver.
    Now, was the Rhodes a Senators mask, and if so, how short printed was it? That would look SWEET in my Sens paraphernalia collection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast