Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Any help would be appreciated

New to the hobby again. Used to collect 25 yrs ago. Things are waaaayyyy different nowadays. If you could give me 3 tips to getting started again I would appreciate it. Want to get my boys interested as well. Thanks.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

1. Don't get overwhelmed with the sheer volume of products out there.
    2. Focus your collecting goals early.
    3. Collect what makes you happy.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Learn about breaks, they can be a fun way to focus on a specific team.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See automatondroid's Items on eBay

O-Pee-Chee is going to be the product most like the good old days. A large, fun set to build with the kids and still some "hits" in there too. Series 1 & 2 are still fun as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

Don't buy any product expecting to MAKE money on the hits.
    What you buy depends on your budget.
    Upper Deck Series One and Two are a great place to start.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I started collecting for my son when he was born, he know has a good collection. I was overwhelmed at first but then limited my focus to only auto rcs. Its worked out great. I suggest trading off you non pc cards for pc cards. good luck

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

1) Have fun. This is a hobby after all.

2) Be patient. If you see a card you like from a newer released product, sometimes waiting for the 2nd or 3rd copy of said card will be easier on the wallet. Trust me, I've learned that hard way, haha !

3) Collect what YOU like. This is a big one I think. If you collect a superstar player because you saw someone else doing it, that collection might fizzle out quickly. If you choose to collect a player you may have been following for a while, or just like a certain aspect of their game, the collection will mean a lot more to you and it can be a lot of fun!

Welcome back to the hobby
    Last edited by creasecollector; 01-16-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47 COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@creasecollector put it best. Collect what you like, do it for the fun of it, it's a hobby after all, and stay within a reasonable budget!!
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

1) Have fun. This is a hobby after all.

2) Be patient. If you see a card you like from a newer released product, sometimes waiting for the 2nd or 3rd copy of said card will be easier on the wallet. Trust me, I've learned that hard way, haha !

3) Collect what YOU like. This is a big one I think. If you collect a superstar player because you saw someone else doing it, that collection might fizzle out quickly. If you choose to collect a player you may have been following for a while, or just like a certain aspect of their game, the collection will mean a lot more to you and it can be a lot of fun!

Welcome back to the hobby

Nailed it ^^^

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (22)
    Country
    See headsup's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Some amazing tips in here for sure. Don't forget there are numerous ways to collect -- some people pick a player, some pick a team, I know people who only collect Autos, some pick a brand and build a set, others just look for the best looking card they happen upon.

What drew you back into the hobby? Have your kids expressed interest in breaking open packs of cards or do they prefer going and buying singles and holding a specific card in their hands, etc?
    Have fun with it. Don't take things TOO seriously and talk with people on the boards -- the greatest resource out there -- and be part of the community. It's what draws me back time and time again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast