Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Keeping or Selling your bigger cards

Hello everyone!

Recently I persoanlly pulled a Matthews Level 2 Rookie Auto from Trilogy.
    I was contemplating selling it at the time, as it is has some value and I am not a collector of Leaf cards.
    I decided to keep it as it is one of my better cards in my collection, and I think it will still hold good value over time. Planning to have it graded as well.

My question is, what do you collectors do whenever you pull a higher value card? Do you sell if you do not collect that player? Keep it for the collection? Does it matter based on the team/value of the specific card?

Just wanted to know what others do when they actually hit a bigger card from a set.

Thanks,
    CC

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I really depends on the card and the timing of the pull.

For example, I pulled this a while back:

This is easily the best pull I've ever had in my entire collecting 'career', and it will take a lot to top it.

While I wouldn't mind giving it a good home to a serious player collector, this one will be staying with me because I collect Ed Belfour.

And the timing is a big factor too. If I pulled this and didn't need the money, then that makes for a great add to the Belfour/goalie collection. However, if I pulled this and really needed to cash, then I would probably need to sell it.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I've been fortunate to pull a handful of pretty nice non-Habs cards over the years and I currently own none of them. LOL

If it's not PC, it gets flipped for either PC cards or $$$ eventually. I may tell myself, "Yeah it's pretty cool to own this McDavid!" for a little while, but then somebody dangles a sick Carey Price card and I'm like, "Well, it was nice knowing ya Connor!"

Heck, as I was telling a friend earlier this morning, even other Habs PC stuff often gets fed to the Price machine.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

"fed to the Price machine". LOL !

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

I'm having that debate right now. I got some really nice cards over the holidays through group breaks. Got me a 1/1 Gordie Howe auto that I'm on the fence on.

One part of me says hold it. He's gone. He's one of the biggest names next to the Great one.

One part says sell it and recoup some monies from the breaks.

I'm leaning towards keeping though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You've got your PC and the stuff you regularly collect.
    If a "big hit/card" appears and doesn't fit, it's gotta go, especially if you also can't justify investment potential. Just my personal opinion, Trilogy and many other UD products are not what I consider "investment"-level. That's reserved for SP, Ultimate, Ice, Cup, the tried and true "stocks" in a player's future. The card you mention would have to go while the getting's good.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

Trilogy is generally not as valuable as a players SPA Auto to 999.
    Seems to be low end is the Young Guns, mid level is the SPA Auto to 999, and high end is the Cup RPA.
    I WISH I had unloaded my MacKinnon YG's when they were actively selling over $50
    While it doesn't look like Matthews will be a bust, the above cards will appreciate faster than the Trilogy

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

I would sell now if your going too, as the price will end go down as more people break trilogy and then other products get opened no one will be looking for this card. If you decide in 6 months you miss the card start searching for one and I bet you buy it for less than you sold your copy for.
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for all the input guys.
    I really can't decide what I want to do in this case, but if I do sell I know it needs to be sooner than later. Prices are already starting to drop on this specific card.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

This is just my opinion, but I would sell now and use some of the funds to buy a Matthews Future Watch auto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast