Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stublem84's Items on eBay

How Tiger Woods' popularity hurts the PGA

See phantomkid21's Items on eBay

if tiger woods wasnt in the PGA, it would suffer (but wut do i kno bout golf)

SCF Rewards

I agree with Phantom...

I've never played golf; but I watched when Tiger came onto the scene.

I rarely, if ever, watch golf....but if it's a Major, and I see TIger playing, I'll watch.

there's no way Tiger hurts the popularity of golf.

Tiger may put a big dent in the wallet of pro golf players....but he's putting tons of money in the PGA

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

Tiger definitely hurts the popularity of golf...

While the PGA fanbase might have been small before, they were dedicated fans who liked many different players. Now it's just a bunch of people who it's either Tiger or bust. Then when Tiger does something normal as not winning a Major in a year, everything is just about how bad Tiger is... not how good the rest of the field has become in the last couple years.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stublem84's Items on eBay

At the beginning I started to watch because of Tiger.

Then Mike Weir came on the scene and I started routing for him because he is from close to where I live.

Now Mike has pretty much become the top rated golfer in the world and has won or finished high in many events.

So I guess you could say that I'm over Tigermania but I'm glad he got me more interested in the sport.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bonds-4-mvp's Items on eBay

Originally posted by IggyWH
    Tiger definitely hurts the popularity of golf...

While the PGA fanbase might have been small before, they were dedicated fans who liked many different players. Now it's just a bunch of people who it's either Tiger or bust. Then when Tiger does something normal as not winning a Major in a year, everything is just about how bad Tiger is... not how good the rest of the field has become in the last couple years.

I disagree with that. People in CA often complain about how people going to Pac Bell aren't "die-hard" enough and talk on their cell phones too much and are only there to see the park. They reminesce about the good old days when you had 20,000 die hard fans willing to stay in 30 degree weather at Candlestick to watch the Giants. Fact is, those die hard fans are still there, but now instead of 20,000 you have 40,000 a game.

The same applies with Tiger. Yes, the average knowledge/interest level per fan may have gone down, but the TOTAL interest in golf has never been higher.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

The total interest in golf is ngt high... how much have you heard about David Duval? His total meltdown from being the ebst golfer just 2 years ago to now like the 200th ranked golfer is a lot more of a bigger story than Tiger not winning a major... but how many times has Sportscenter ran a piece on Duval?

Golf is now Tiger or bust... that's good for Tiger cause now he gets a huge paycheck but it means nothing else to the rest of golf.

SCF Rewards

Originally posted by studin
    At the beginning I started to watch because of Tiger.

Then Mike Weir came on the scene and I started routing for him because he is from close to where I live.

Now Mike has pretty much become the top rated golfer in the world and has won or finished high in many events.

So I guess you could say that I'm over Tigermania but I'm glad he got me more interested in the sport.

yea!! Mike Weir is my favorite player, and has been since his rookie season (I play similar to his style so i grew fond of him).

-Harris

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

all i have to say on this topic is there is no way tiger has hurt the popularity of golf... while "diehard" my have gone down no one before tiger would have stood there and bounced the golf ball on a wedge and tried to hit it.... no one used nike golf balls..... no one wore the nike hat or used the tiger head covers or pumped their fist after a long putt... golf events werent covered by the major networks every weekend... tiger has brought millions to the game and i dont see how there is anyway that could hurt the game.. i love golf and like to tun ein every time tiger plays to see who is beating him and who is doing well... it isnt hurting the game though

what a hot wife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast