Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Breaks

Group Breaks

Effective immediately, group breaks can only be conducted by SCF staff. Group breaks are defined as any break where members buy in to get some of the cards from a break conducted by one person.

Anyone not following this will have their threads deleted and could receive warning points/suspension.

(updated 8/15/2008 to reflect current site rules)
    Last edited by RenegadeLonghorn; 08-15-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Hidden Content - Receive your choice of 2,000 card cash or a random free card from the SCF CC Store (your team/sport of choice) when you buy a box (prize boxes not included).
    Hidden Content , Working on Hidden Content For Charity

Hidden Content - 120/140 (85.7%), Hidden Content - 102/271 (37.6%)

***LOOKING TO PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS? PM ME FOR ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES. WE HAVE RATES AS LITTLE AS LESS THAN $1 A DAY!***

Senior Advisors

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    As you guys can tell enigma is back from his Vacation. :)

Great rule and this will be acted upon as soon as I see one. In other words I will delete the thread unless you can prove you have permission from the staff at SCF.
    Hidden Content
    Trying to super Collect Herman Moore
    I collect UVA (University of Virginia Cavaliers) alumni and The Pittsburgh Steelers!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

so does that mean the originals and sterling breaks must be called off? or does this new rule deal with future breaks. I ask this because I already have 2 people who have paid, and I am just curious as to the specifics of this rule.

Thanks.

-John
    The Bucket:

Hidden Content

NOT YET SCANNED:
    N/A

This seems arbitrary - what is the reasoning? What is the downside if users want to organize a break? If you limit it on SCF, then all you do is drive people to other boards to organize it. That seems to be detrimental to the community. Isn't the whole point of a message board to bring together people that could not have otherwise gotten together? In this example, it allows me to effectively share a box across the country since none of my friends in my area share my interest in cards and would want to go share a box at the local card store.

Furthermore, what is the process in play here? Can any moderator make arbitrary rules? Don't other ops have to weigh in on the situation? Shouldn't the actual users of the site, the contributors that make the community what it is, have a voice as well?
    Phillies PC: Schmidt, Carlton, Bunning, Roberts, Howard, Utley, Hamels + Prospects
    Other PC: Thome (Phils), Nolan Ryan, Lincecum, Matsuzaka, Pence, McNabb.
    Also collect Baseball HOF Auto/GU/Inserts, and Top Baseball prospects.
    Hidden Content

This is done for the safety of the members on the site. Would you trust someone with 0 feedback to do this and no references? I know I wouldn't and most in their right mind wouldn't. There is alot of dishonesty in this world, sure, you may not be, and the next person might just be as honest as the last, but we are going to stop this before it gets out of hand and someone gets ripped off and then complains to us that we did nothing about it. You may not agree with it, but our main priority is to watch out for the safety of the members of this site. If you want to go to another site to do it, you have every right to do so.

Also, we do have Advisor and Moderator boards where this was brought up a long time ago when haybierman started the idea and it was talked about.

Our responsibility is to protect you, the member of the site. We feel this rule is necessary in order to protect our members.
    Undercover Pope
    Hidden Content
    BuckHidden Content t
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content SportsCardBlog - FacebHidden Content k
    I ship on Tuesdays & Wednesdays - Hidden Content

That's fair enough - I just felt like it could have been presented with more background so it did not seem to come from left field, so to speak. Knowing that it was indeed discussed for a while and the background behind the decision helps me to better understand it.

I guess I err on the side of, "you do a break with somebody with zero feedback and lose your $$ then it's on you - just like if you do a trade with somebody with zero feedback and lose your cards, it's on you". But I do understand the need to regulate the board and prevent more ignorant members from falling into these traps.

I will say that the 50 feedback rating is a bit rough. I would think 25 would be a bit more reasonable. I think that as long as these breaks are indeed conducted by trusted and respected members, then they are actually fun and benefit the community. I've enjoyed watching David's breaks as much as I've enjoyed participating in them. This type of stuff does a lot to get the community excited about the hobby. I hope there is a way that we can ensure it continues, albeit in a regulated and monitored fashion so as to reduce risk of potential fraud.
    Phillies PC: Schmidt, Carlton, Bunning, Roberts, Howard, Utley, Hamels + Prospects
    Other PC: Thome (Phils), Nolan Ryan, Lincecum, Matsuzaka, Pence, McNabb.
    Also collect Baseball HOF Auto/GU/Inserts, and Top Baseball prospects.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by parsetdx
    ...This type of stuff does a lot to get the community excited about the hobby. I hope there is a way that we can ensure it continues, albeit in a regulated and monitored fashion so as to reduce risk of potential fraud.
    I agree that these breaks can bring added excitement to SCF. However, it could also result in unnecessary added grief if we let just anybody organize these breaks. spoodini did a great job in explaining our reasons for requiring staff approval for these breaks and I think the vast majority of members will agree that this rule is needed.

And these breaks will continue as long as the criteria mentioned in enigma's first post is met and staff approval is granted.

Andy

Question is, who do we talk to? I've got an idea for a way to do group breaks that's a bit different. I've PM'd Enigma, and hope that works. :)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Baseball: Craig Biggio, Nolan Ryan, Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Hunter Pence and Jordan Lyles.
    Football: Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, Mario Williams, Arian Foster

This may sound like a stupid question, but what is a "group break"?

Hidden Content
    Collecting 1 of every King-324/574-Hidden Content
    Collecting Ice Scripts(166/266) & FIT(115/160)-Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Additional rules for GROUP BREAKS: (subject to change by SCF staff)

- you have to have at least 50 positive feedback, with no issues, before you can think of starting a group break

- a group break can only be for a box that still has to be purchased!! We can ask for a copy or scan of the receipt.
    Also, please provide a link to a site that shows the price of the box.

- total price of the slots combined cannot exceed the price of the box (incl shipping) plus the price of shipping to the participants (including DC, insurance, envelope etc) plus Paypal fees!!

- all cards from the break must be divided under the participants (incl base, boxtoppers, bottom bonuses etc). Group break organizers cannot keep any cards to offset fees or likewise (already included in slot prices)

- you need permission for every group break you start! Even if you have already done one before! Permission can be obtained from SCF staff.

- group break organizers need to keep copies of all receipts (the box purchase, the shipping, the DC and the insurance). SCF staff can randomly ask for them as proof.

- group break organizers need to provide scans of the higher end cards before participants can make their pick(s).
    COLLECTING -1- BASEBALL RC'S, -2- HOF GU & AU, -3- BERT BLYLEVEN & -4- RICK VANDEN HURK
    Some pics: Hidden Content
    Due to work I can only send on Saturdays!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast