Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

Death of a Rookie Card Collector

Detective Turncoat showed up to a circus. There were dozens of cops already at the scene holding off reporters snapping pictures and asking questions. Turncoat showed his badge and was quickly let through the police tape that surrounded the house.

The detective was ushered past the living room and up the stairs. The house seemed well kept. At the top o the stairs were sobbing parents.

"I didn't realize there were so many!", cried the mother.

"How could they do this to my baby?" sobbed the father holding his wife as Turncoat walked past the grieving parents.

The detective stopped at the boys door. It had a Reggie Bush poster pinned to the front. Reggie Bush was jumping over a Texas defender and about to score. Turncoat smiled as he was a USC fan.

Turncoat eased the partially opened door enough to walk in. There was a 15-year old boy bent over with a police man standing over the boy shaking his head. The boy was face first into a pile of football cards.

"Poor kid," cried the policeman holding back tears. "Poor kid never stood a chance with all those rookie cards out there."

"Huh?", said Turncoat.

"Death by rookie card!" shouted the policeman full of rage and anger. "These kids don't stand a chance! There are so many of them now a days! And this poor kid went after the mother load, Reggie Bush. There are over 1,111 of them!"

The detective walked over and looked closer at the boy. He was indeed face first into a pile of Reggie Bush cards. He must have gotten at least 900 hundred of them before he met his end. What a tough kid thought Turncoat.

"It's Topps and Upper Deck. They just keep adding so many of them," said the police man as he walked out of the room in tears. To the right of the boy was a laptop still on. It was connected to the internet and Ebay was on the screen.

"Poor kid," said Turncoat still reading the screen. "Looks like he lost an auction on an Ultimate Reggie Bush Game Used Autograph. It must have pushed him over the edge."

This story is fiction. No kids or Reggie Bush rookie cards were harmed making this story.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lzuperku's Items on eBay

Mike Youre Right
    This hits close to home for me, cause it is Reggie Bush. I LOVE my Saints, but with 1100 plus Rc's its way too many for an adult to collect,much less a kid. Thats why i 've gotten to just collecting base & some low end RC's . i try to trade for some Saints GU/autos. otherwise ,i cant afford it.

Imagine what it will be like if UD gets Topps!!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Mike,
    Nice little read of course I wish something would slow the onslaught down but it the consumer that drives UD and Topps to make so many.

D
    O
    N

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You know for so many years we complained and tossed aside the base card sets of the mid to late Eighties and first part of the Nineties. While they were over produced you have to wonder if in the future that they may become more valuable than all these tons of tons and tons of RC's of todays new players. Right now there is no real value to an 1987 Topps Barry Bonds, but even with 1986 cards of him out there, everyone can picture this card and will refer to it as a rookie card. Guys like Maddox, Randy Johnson, Sosa and so many more of the current legends only have a handful of rookie cards that we all can recognize at a glance. Will that recognition sometime lead to value? I personally miss the old days of Topps, Donruss and Fleer giving us three sets to select from with a couple of odds and ends like traded and update sets. What do you guys think?
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

Personally, I don't understand the excitement over a "1st major league" card for a guys who has already had a half dozen "premium" minor league cards. Especially if the player isn't that great. I'm surprised the their actual first professional card isn't considered the most important these days. At least it is for several recent HOFers like Ripken, Gwynn, Henderson and Boggs. Their first minor league cards go for way more than their RCs.

SCF Rewards
    Country

:tongue0011: That was a good story except this part :tongue0011:

"The detective stopped at the boys door. It had a Reggie Bush poster pinned to the front. Reggie Bush was jumping over a Texas defender and about to score. Turncoat smiled as he was a USC fan."