Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A firsthand view of the 28th National Sports Collector Convention!!

A LOOK BACK AT THE 28TH NATIONALS IN CLEVELAND!!!

By: Don White

I left the house about 6 in the morning on Wednesday to head toward Cleveland. I arrived about 1 in the afternoon and picked up my table information and VIP package from Megan that Mike has arranged for. I quickly found out that our table number was 155 way in the back of the show upont entering the VIP section. Of course it would be totally reversed when the General Admission tickets would come in Thursday thru Sunday. So, it was great for traffic for the general admission's but for VIP guys and gals we would be one of the last tables upon them entering.

Ian (
    P-NUT-BUTR) made 3 trips to the car with my stuff while to bring my two boxes of cards, display case, camera, and stuff to give away to promote STC at the show. As I learned you are only allowed one car pass into the show and since Ian had most of the cards to put on the table it made sense to let him use it. Of course that did not come to reality as he was late for the show so he had to borrow a dolly and wheel his stuff in as they cut you off on 4 o'clock for vehicles to drive in. That a live and learn situation for the future and that ever plan to set up. Also, of note they only allow 2 wheel dollies as well (no four wheel dollies).

The first day is for VIP and dealers only as they stay up later than usual (9 o'clock) and a bunch of buying and selling happens during this time for pricey items and such that people deem they have to have now. As I always say and from all the Nationals I attended if you can wait and you don't think the items will run out of stock or you want a bargain wait til Sunday as prices usually will come down a lot. Boxes will slashed on boxes from $69 to $64 etc while game used cards will be slashed to below 50 percent. Each dealer has their own ideas but in the end the old saying is true "GO HOME WITH THE MOST DOLLARS AS POSSIBLE".

WRAPPER REDEMPTIONS AND OTHER REDEMPTION PROGRAMS:
    This is one of the biggest things that causes boxes to be busted to get those elusive auto's and low print run cards of your favorite star. You could hear the oohh's and aahh's throughout the show as this happened day in and day out. Walking by the Corporate sponsors section you would see people lined up with boxes to break packs or boxes for a chance at this amazing LOTTERY. Here is a example of what one nice hockey collector pulled.

WAYNE BABY!!!
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/imag...007/08/335.jpg

AUTOGRAPH OUT OF 10 (PRICELESS)!!!
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/imag...007/08/336.jpg

YOUR OWN PERSONAL SPORTS CARDS:
    This was another venue that proved to be entertaining with the fan's. I mean how many times will someone shoot your picture in a jersey of your favorite sport. Get your name on your card in any pose you want. I can't tell you how many HESIMAN poses I saw guys doing with the football. Here is a example of a hockey trader I met that showed me his own personal cards. So I told him I would show it as we all like to know what happens at the Nationals. Of course unlike Vegas what happens at the Nationals will be displayed forever on this card to attest to any crazy thing you do at the Photoshoot.

https://www.sportscardforum.com/imag...007/08/337.jpg

TALKED WITH PRESS PASS AND SPORTZCARDKING:
    Just chatted with Tom from Press Pass about the Fake Cards that the raicing guys had mentioned over and over. He said they were fake and told me a little more about the person that created them. As that person did actually get them from the Nationals as he worked for the company that runs the Nationals show. Of course for them being Cards PRINTED AND GIVEN OUT BY PRESS PASS Tom said they did not come from them. So for all racing fans that is your answer.

Met with DR Price and David Wasserman and talked to David Wasserman about the New cards they have coming out. I mean it should be interesting to see how this product fares on the secondary market (EBAY) as it has all been sold out (pre-order). With it retailing at the high 300 a pack etc. it is a premium product and has ALL SPORTS and NON SPORTS cards in it. Here is some more information on the product in this link:

http://www.sportstradercentral.com/n...ght=sportkings

VIP PACKAGE AND THEIR CONTENT (not shown is the auto's passes)!!

http://www.sportstradercentral.com/g...y-contain.html

PRESS PASS DISPLAY CASE GOODIES (at the 28th Nationals)

http://www.sportstradercentral.com/a...ght=press+pass

HOW BIG IS THE SHOW AT THE NATIONALS (a video)

http://www.sportstradercentral.com/g...-big-show.html
    The best thing about the show bar non is the interaction with the collectors that come to the show to sell, trade, or buy new cards for their collections. Ian and I met many people and since there was not a lot of hockey at the show many members came back to just talk to us especially if they were at the show for more than a few days. To all of them I say thanks for making this one of the highlights at the show,

p.s. Last but not least I have to say thanks to Ian aunt Jen as she made us Breakfast and Dinner plus giving us free room and board. Talk about a great relaxing time where I could just soak in HOBBY! As the wife said "I don't think you want to come back home." The kid in me truly did not want to as for anyone that loves the enjoyment of cardboard it a once in a year feeling that is BIG HIGH. If anyone ever has any questions feel free to ask.

DON

Country
    See leeara123's Items on eBay

Loved the write up Don. Of course I'm still jealous of both you going to the Nationals and missing out on the hospitality of Aunt Jen! Thanks and maybe one day we'll run into one another at a show or convention!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

George
    Well there Chicago next year just remember to bring your STC COIN. Mike, likes to play drinking games.

DON