Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See foursonstrading's Items on eBay

Collections Galore Wasting Away!!

We followed the signs into the lot and were a little lonely. All of six vehicles were parked in this 'warehouse community' in Hayward, California. My kids, wife and I went into the only door around that we could see to get in and quickly came across the owner of an Asian furniture importing business, (and who knows what else!) He remarked, "Oh, you must be here for that 'show' in the back, you've got that 'look', about you." I responded that AC/DC blaring in an antique shop took me by surprise too.
    He walked us out to the back, pointed us in the direction of the show, and told us the 'secret' way out when we left...squeezing through the coiled cable locked gate to our parking space. Obviously no expense was spared at this venue!!
    It was absolutely chilly, (CA standards), in the winding walkway to the warehouse. We were greeted by a life-size cardboard Mark McGwire and came into the huge space filled with packed vendor cages. My interest peeked!!

We were greeted by a friendly guy who said he had lost his energy from a triple bypass as he pointed to his chest. We chatted for a while as he explained to me how he and his buddies played 'pack wars with boxes of '87 Topps back in the day. I asked where everybody was.... He said that this was a place where seven or eight former shop owners and big collectors of comics, cards, and toys got together and rented the warehouse to keep their stuff safe. He said they opened it up several times a year to sell and try to keep it afloat. I asked if they auctioned it on the internet and he kinda laughed. "I'm not on computers," he said. He saw my A's t-shirt and directed me to Robert, and said that he had actually been a batboy for the A's in the '70's.

I began to pick through Robert's stack of '71 Topps, (which were pretty nice!), while my sons kept asking me over and over to buy them the Star Wars' action figures hanging up on the cage. I bought them and some #'s that I needed, and asked Robert to pose for me. He was overjoyed, (ha, ha). When we went around to the A's collection he loosened up a bit!!

There was no other vendors or collectors there! I thought a lot about collections like this and what a travesty it was to have all the great stuff that obviously was there, not being enjoyed and just gathering dust waiting for the 'big auction house' or foreclosure to come swooping down and inherit it all someday. We left with an odd feeling which was fortunately stripped away when my boys ripped open their vinatge 'Star Wars' action figures, (ouch, but...), and began play battling with all the imagination and joy that kids have when they receive a cool new toy!!
    PS Pictures in main album of my bucket!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That a awesome story and that store rocks. Sweet is all I can say LOL!!

DON

p.s. Thanks for sharing bro.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Will see if I can get any of the pic's to show up. I tried but they are all too big. OH well thanks for sharing as that is some nice A's memorobilia for sure!!

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks Don! PM sent...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Great experience! My son would have done the same and ripped open the SW figure. Nice pictures, wish that place was open and closer to San Diego/El Centro area.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @DicksFunny See sam7ksg7's Items on eBay Instagram:

will you be going there again by any chance? I see that he's an A's collector and I am in need of a 1991 Seven eleven coin of Jose Canseco #2.. the coin is blue backed and has HG below the number and was a NorCal regional issue. I was wondering if you could do me a huge favor and ask if they might have it there and if they do either pick it up or put me in direct contact with them to purchase it. I would greatly appreciate it if you happen to stop there again.

here's an example of it but another player

http://www.slurpeecoins.info/91slurpee_norcal_back.jpg

SCF Rewards
    Country

I won't be returning, sorry...business card is around here somewhere of course when I need it, it's nowhere to be found!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @DicksFunny See sam7ksg7's Items on eBay Instagram:

well if you can find the business card and it has a phone number could you please PM it to me and I'll call direct and ask myself?