Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Kentucky, Lexington 12/22 - 12/23

National Guard Armory, Sa 10-5 Su 11-4, 60T - Larry or Lance Watt 859-619-0380 [email protected]

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A DAY AT THE LEXINGTON ARMORY

Its a local show for me so usually I have the wife wake me up as I sleep til mid afternoon due to 2nd shift. Today was no different, as I grabbed my camera and made a call to a fellow member (Russell Jolly) but he was busy. So still waiting to meet him even though we both been attending the show for a while now. Also, tried to meet another trader that trades on SCF. As we had talked on aol chat and he was going to the UK game so that was a no go. Was hoping to see Htwheelz at the show but I don't think he ever showed up as I was there from about 12 til after 3 just chatting away with some of my buddies as usual.

The Lexington Armory is a great little show as its the cheapest show I ever seen on a regular basis ($15) for a table. That is what I paid the last time I sat up at the show a few months back. Where else can you get a table for 2 days at that price. The bad thing about it being so cheap, is that a lot of people come to set up on Saturday and don't even bother coming back on Sunday. This makes it bad for collectors who come on Sunday due to other commitments on Saturday as there will not be many tables with goodies to buy or just look at. Though that is good news for the dealers as there is not much competition and some stay just for that very reason show after show.

The Armory is ran by Larry Watts who is always there early to get everything set up, collect the money, and make sure everything is squared away before his son Lance gets there. Then Larry heads on over to Baseball Card Warehouse to run his store. Lance oversees everything from there and can be usually seen doing his homework. This day was no different from any other show as the parking lot was about half way filled and there was a decent amount of activity going on for a small show.

ENTRANCE TO THE SHOW:

Upon walking in I always see my friend Don who is into Ohio State football cards and Vintage. We chat about everything (UM and OSU rivalry) of course I do not have much to brag about, BGS and PSA (future article), and just cards in general. Don is a friendly guy and if you like Ohio State or Vintage in that order you will have someone that will chat with you for hours. As he has a PC (OHIO ROOKIE'S ALL GRADED). I should have took a picture of that collection as he did bring them to the show and showed them to me in a 900 count box for graded cards.

Here is a picture of Don chatting with a showgoer:

I wandered around and talked to a guy that I had not seen set up before at the Armory. Upon walking up to his table I scanned his business card that he was from NC. So we started talking shows and we found out it is a small world after all as we were both at the National Card Show in Cleveland this year. Also, he knew a few friends of mine from shows in Raleigh as he sets up there frequently but was here in town visiting his Mother. Nothing like visiting mom for the Holidays and setting up at a card show to make some extra money. I know I love it just as he does, when you get free lodging and homecooked meals from MA how can you beat that!!

Here a picture of two cases of cards from Eli Sullivan:

Then I made my round and ran into Jeremy who is from Cleveland as I met him along with a few guys way back in the Winter of 2002 or 2003 at a Detroit Show. Jeremy always has great prices on supplies, boxes, cards, whatever he is selling. Lately, he has only been bringing cards as it doesn't take nearly the amount of time to pack or unload compared to cases and all the supplies.

Here a picture of some of Jeremy better cards:

Of course that is only a sampling as I believe he had 2 or 3 tables with about 6 full display cases and a few stands as well. If your ever at shows in Ohio there a good chance you will see him there.

As with all shows there always the goodies that people pick up at shows. So here are cards that I picked up and the prices along with what I paid for the 2 lots!!

6 for $10

6 for $20

P.S. In the end I would recommend this show for anyone especially if they are within a hour or two drive. This show is affordable and allows the average collector to set up and sell which is rare these days. On the average there is probably only 20 tables usually set up. This number is smaller in the summer and larger in the winter. If you ever have any questions about this show just holler. As always, I would love to meet anyone who would like to just talk shop, seeing what you pick up at the show, or better yet just putting a name to a face from the site.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See foursonstrading's Items on eBay

Nice pickups Don! Really enjoyed the pics and reading about what shows are like in your neck of the woods!
    Gerald

Country
    See leeara123's Items on eBay

Great Don, but you didn't get me anything you cardwitholder! lol great pics the show looked sweet and not too crazy to stop and look at everything

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey Don,

Do any of the dealers there have any NASCAR items. Since I can make it to Lexington in under 2 hours, might be a great road trip for my daughters and I sometime.

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hey Don,

Do any of the dealers there have any NASCAR items. Since I can make it to Lexington in under 2 hours, might be a great road trip for my daughters and I sometime.

Mike

Mike,
    Let me put it this way yes there is one guy that always has racing cards. His prices are cheap too as remember all the auto's I picked up that I posted a few months ago. They were all a dollar a piece of course I not gone thru his box since but he has a ton of inserts and other racing oddities as well. Might be worthwhile to just get a contact information as he picks up stuff all the time. I have seen guys come just to pick up Nascar from him. I always tell them to check out SCF for you racing guys and gals.

p.s. I wish I knew what racing was good and not as I am sure there been some hidden gems.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Great Don, but you didn't get me anything you cardwitholder! lol great pics the show looked sweet and not too crazy to stop and look at everything

Well what did you want. I always tell ya what I pick up and if you wanted some of it just let me know. Of course I usually don't take much cash with me as I know the drill. USUALLY NO HOCKEY!!

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    See htwheelz01's Items on eBay

You must have come down after I was gone man. I should be down that way again for the next show to check out what some people has.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well what did you want. I always tell ya what I pick up and if you wanted some of it just let me know. Of course I usually don't take much cash with me as I know the drill. USUALLY NO HOCKEY!!

DON

You didn't get me anything either? Scrooge!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You must have come down after I was gone man. I should be down that way again for the next show to check out what some people has.

I got there about 12 and stayed til about 3. You must have been a earlier riser. I usually his the show later since I work 2nd shift.

DON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast