The Cleveland Browns have named Terry Robiskie offensive coordinator, the club announced today. The Browns will host a press conference with Butch Davis and Terry Robiskie on Monday, January 12 at 1:00 p.m. in Berea.

“I appreciate the faith shown in me by Coach Davis, Randy Lerner and Carmen Policy,” Robiskie said. “We have some exciting offensive players, and I look forward to continuing to work with them. Today’s landscape in the NFL provides unique opportunities and challenges, and we all need to commit ourselves on doing whatever it takes to improve on last season.

“Each week’s game plan will be structured to maximize what our players do best and will be tailored in whatever way is necessary to defeat the specific opponent that week. I am very excited about this opportunity, and I look forward to further discussions with Coach Davis regarding our three coaching vacancies. It is time to get to work.”

Robiskie is in his fourth season with the Browns after serving the previous three seasons as wide receivers coach. The 2004 season will be his 23rd in the NFL.

“Terry was the first person I interviewed for the position of offensive coordinator, and after I continued to talk with other candidates it became very apparent the best person for the job was right here in our building,” Head Coach Butch Davis said. “I have been extremely impressed with Terry’s coaching ability, the relationships he forms with players, the charisma he brings to this team each day, and the work ethic he personally exhibits and also demands of his players.

“His 22 years of NFL experience includes roles as a position coach, offensive coordinator and head coach. He and I have a lot in common in both our philosophies and belief systems, and he brings elements that will enhance our offense. There is no specific timetable on hiring a receivers coach, quarterbacks coach and running backs coach, and Terry and I will decide who will fill each of these three coaching positions.”

In 2002 as receivers coach, the Browns and the NY Jets were the NFL’s only teams to have three players with 5+ TD receptions, and the Browns were one of six teams to have five players with 37+ receptions (Buffalo, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Seattle). Wide receiver Quincy Morgan ranked 2nd in the NFL (James McKnight, Miami, 18.2) with 17.2 average yards per catch.

Prior to joining the Browns in 2001, Robiskie spent the previous seven years with the Washington Redskins and concluded the 2000 season as the Redskins head coach for the final three games of the regular season following the departure of Norv Turner. Robiskie’s record as head coach was 1-2, including a 20-3 win over Arizona on December 24.

-more-
Robiskie began the 2000 season as passing game coordinator in Washington and helped the Redskins rank fifth in the NFC in total offense (337.3 yards per game) and passing (228.0 yards per game). He helped running back Stephen Davis total 1,318 yards and 11 touchdowns on 332 attempts, including five 100-yard outings.

He entered the coaching profession with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1982 as the assistant running backs coach where he tutored Marcus Allen to two Pro Bowls and two 1,000-yard seasons. Robiskie was the assistant special teams coach for the Raiders from 1985-87, and he tutored the Raiders tight ends in 1988.

Robiskie was the Raiders offensive coordinator from 1989-93. In 1990, Oakland ranked 9th in the NFL with 126.8 yards rushing per game and QB Jay Schroeder ranked 6th in the NFL with a 90.8 QB rating. In 1992, the Raiders ranked 11th in the NFL with 112.1 yards rushing. In 1993, Oakland ranked 5th in the NFL in passing and 13th in total offense as Robiskie helped QB Jeff Hostetler pass for 3,242 yards and 14 TDs. Robiskie’s 12 years with the Raiders included seven playoff stints, four division titles and a victory over the Redskins in Super Bowl XVIII.

Originally an eighth round selection by Oakland in the 1977 NFL Draft, Robiskie was a four-year letter winner and the 1976 SEC MVP as a senior at LSU. Robiskie spent five years in the NFL as a running back with the Raiders (1977-79) and the Miami Dolphins (1980-81), while playing for legendary coaches John Madden, Don Shula and Tom Flores.

Born November 12, 1954, in New Orleans, Robiskie and his wife, Cynthia, have three sons: Brian, Andrew and Kyle.

Quote from Browns defensive captain DE Kenard Lang:

“This is a very positive move promoting Terry Robiskie to offensive coordinator. I have known him since 1997 when I began my NFL career with Washington, and I know him as an individual and as a coach. He will get the most out of all the players. Everyone in the lockerroom is happy for him. He is well respected because he has the most experience of anybody. He played pro football, he has been an offensive coordinator with Oakland, has won a Super Bowl with the Raiders and has head coaching experience with his time in Washington. I know he will do what is right.”

Quote from Browns offensive captain OT Ryan Tucker:

“The team has all the confidence in the world in Terry Robiskie. He has done a great job with our corp of receivers and watching them excel over the last couple years in every aspect of the game from running routes to blocking downfield has been impressive. He knows our offense and he is extremely respected by the players in the lockerroom. I am really excited for Terry and his family. I can’t wait to get back and get started for the 2004 season.”

Robiskie Coaching Background:

1982-84 Los Angeles Raiders, assistant running
backs coach
1985-87 Los Angeles Raiders, assistant special teams
coach
1988 Los Angeles Raiders, tight ends coach
1989-93 Los Angeles Raiders, offensive coordinator
1994-2000 Washington Redskins, assistant coach/head
coach (three games in 2000)
2001-03 Cleveland Browns, wide receivers coach
2004 Cleveland Browns, offensive coordinator