Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

One of the issues is that the SCF database is HUGE. We have over 3 million posts now!

I would recommend using the "advanced search" as much as possible and be specific. If you just use the "search" feature it will scan the entire database or 3 million+ posts!

SCF Rewards
    Country

One of the issues is that the SCF database is HUGE. We have over 3 million posts now!

I would recommend using the "advanced search" as much as possible and be specific. If you just use the "search" feature it will scan the entire database or 3 million+ posts!

is there a way to search for a play by first and last name (such as John Doe) without getting hits for all the Johns and all the Does?? that is the only problem i had with the scf search engine

Country
    See mintman2's Items on eBay

Mike,
    I always use the advanced search. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the problem of no new posts showing in search happened AFTER the database crash/restore. Sometimes it was a little slow (no big deal) but everything was fine before.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

hey mike,
    the only thing that I see is that it doesn't pull the most current posts that match the search keyword. Some of my posts with the word "bulk" in them didn't come up in the "bulk" search, but they came up when I sorted by my username.

It looks as if it only produced a few 2008 posts and the rest were from later years.

BANNED

Country

i cant get any of my threads or posts to show up. it tells me to wait 30 seconds everytime i try to search for them

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See parsetdx's Items on eBay

I understand we were having performance issues with the existing SCF "built-in" search. However, the Google search takes away so much search functionality that it renders searching absolutely worthless. I can no longer search in a specific forum, for posts started by a specific person, etc, etc. as the old search provided. Is there not a way to heavily index the database, archive old posts, etc. in order to improve performance enough to bring the old search back? I just don't think the Google search gets the users the functionality that we're looking for. Continuing down that path, without a good search function you'll end up with many duplicate, garbage posts from users who could have found their answers by running simple searches.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for a great site. Hopefully we'll get the search issue sorted out so users can continue to enjoy the excellent functionality we currently have.

Josh

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

I understand we were having performance issues with the existing SCF "built-in" search. However, the Google search takes away so much search functionality that it renders searching absolutely worthless. I can no longer search in a specific forum, for posts started by a specific person, etc, etc. as the old search provided. Is there not a way to heavily index the database, archive old posts, etc. in order to improve performance enough to bring the old search back? I just don't think the Google search gets the users the functionality that we're looking for. Continuing down that path, without a good search function you'll end up with many duplicate, garbage posts from users who could have found their answers by running simple searches.

Josh,

You are right on target for what I am planning. I'm looking at archiving most of the posts or working it so the search only goes back a few months vice the life of the site.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See parsetdx's Items on eBay

That makes sense Mike. I am guessing there's probably a way to archive and still make the archived posts searchable, but perhaps using a different mechanism. So for everyday searches you hit the past X number of months of posts. But if you want to delve deeper, maybe the archive is still hosted in a different fashion and perhaps you could use a Google search across the archive to improve performance on searching that larger data set. Good luck!

Josh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12