Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@rtghobbies

woo hoo- a thread for me to chime in on, and offer my unsolicited (and often unappreciated) advice...the day gets better already!!!

Ok- in all seriousness. I respect a lot of the opinions that have been posted. If a price isnt posted, and someone says "make an offer" they set themselves up for lowball offers- BUT, if I see someone with a post like that, I wont offer 8 bucks for a 200 dollar auto. I think the posters in a "make an offer" thread assume (probably incorrectly) that people A. understand the approximate value of cards
    B. understand what a fair offer is

now, this is not the case, but I can understand where people would think this. When I post nice stuff, I occasionally get really bad offers- but before getting ticked off, I instead try to see if either my post is vague, or if the person is not familiar with the cards I am selling- for instance, when I posted a high end basketball card, I recieved a really low offer- which annoyed me, until i did some research and found that the person asking didnt do basketball, he only did hockey. so the offer, which seemed reasonable to him, really wasnt.

Ok, now, on to the "ebay prices" thing. If you are selling, I understand you are trying to make money. If you are buying, I understand you are trying to get what you want for the least amount possible. HOWEVER- quoting ebay is about the rudest thing that can be done. If you really want to get a card for .99 plus 5.00 shipping, and maybe get the item in, and deal with the lovely bureaucracy that is ebay- then great- GO THERE. ebay is great for a lot of things, dont get me wrong, I use it myself. However, it is not the Bible of sportscard dealings. It is another tool, just like beckett is. It is not the final say, so if all you care about is ebay prices, let me help you out. type www.ebay.com (or heck, you can click on the handy link I just provided)
    this is a different site than ebay, please keep that in mind

OK, Im done, at least for now
    Ed

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

lol Ed, i thought for a second you wouldnt see it. when i sell i often make an offer, and people say no thanks. i assume they may not know the bv of the card. i show it to them, explain the price dlvd and the paypal fee is all put in my final price. and they still say "i can get it for this price on ebay" my advice is, GO TO EBAY. dont waste my time, or yours. or they want it lower than ebay. i am not a charity, i am trying to get money to buy my own pc stuff.
    or i had this one offer one time. this is a great one. a 2007 rickie weeks upper deck gu. the guy wanted it for 1.50 via a pwe, and didnt want to be held reliable if it smashed in the machine while getting dlvd. so pretty much after paypal fee's it wouldve been like $1 i get maybe. and then it'll smash and ill have to refund him? heck no. i told him, its going to be 1.50 to ship the thing. then he says. no thanks i can get it on ebay for that much. i asked for a link, he says it expired. i say, no gu is being sold that low, if anything no one bid on it. just goes to show, how much people are willing to go to, to rip you off and make there own profit. this is stuff, that makes me angry
    Dan
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country

heres a great example- check this post out. Here, I thought I was being nice. turns out im a "meanie"

link removed by staff - please don't call out other members in public

SCF Rewards
    Country

ebay is great for a lot of things, dont get me wrong, I use it myself. However, it is not the Bible of sportscard dealings.

When it comes to buying and selling, ebay is very much the "bible" of sports card dealings. It is the be-all end-all, alpha and omega of the hobby when it comes to buying and selling. It is the central "exchange" that arbitrates prices in real time, in the largest market possible. There isn't even a close competitor. One could argue that absolutely nothing else matters when it comes to pricing, simply because everyone has access to ebay prices and no one is going to voluntarily "pay more" to you, me or anyone else.

The fact that the sports-card hobby at large seems to be a bit 'slow' and refused to acknowledge this ebay truism is the main reason why we went from having thousands of card shops in every strip mall in every suburb and city to a tiny handful of them left.

It would be like me opening up a grocery store and selling loaves of bread for $5 when Wal Mart has them for $1.50, then whining about people who laugh at my prices and tell me that it can be had cheaper elsewhere. He who doesn't learn to live with ebay will die by ebay.
    Collect major RC's from pre 1994. Interested in vintage and "vintage vintage" (pre 51). Only cards that are crease/stain/hole/major problem free.

Trade BV for BV on lower value new cards, on higher dollar cards, ebay sale price is only consideration.

Sorry, I don't "make offers". Price your stuff if you want to sell.

SCF Rewards
    Country

When it comes to buying and selling, ebay is very much the "bible" of sports card dealings. It is the be-all end-all, alpha and omega of the hobby when it comes to buying and selling. It is the central "exchange" that arbitrates prices in real time, in the largest market possible. There isn't even a close competitor. One could argue that absolutely nothing else matters when it comes to pricing, simply because everyone has access to ebay prices and no one is going to voluntarily "pay more" to you, me or anyone else.

The fact that the sports-card hobby at large seems to be a bit 'slow' and refused to acknowledge this ebay truism is the main reason why we went from having thousands of card shops in every strip mall in every suburb and city to a tiny handful of them left.

It would be like me opening up a grocery store and selling loaves of bread for $5 when Wal Mart has them for $1.50, then whining about people who laugh at my prices and tell me that it can be had cheaper elsewhere. He who doesn't learn to live with ebay will die by ebay.

ONLY if you are entirely looking to make money off of sportscards. If that is the case, I agree with you. However, if you view it as a hobby, then ebay is another tool, not the Bible
    Ed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Suns

This site has become filled with rude and unresponsive people it seems like now? People don't respond to your thread after they post there? they are mean, they lowball you? this is truly not a hobby for people its getting the lowest value and wanting the best card. its sickening. i get people who respond to a thread of mine. i give them a price or what i like for a trade/sell. no reply comes back? the least you can say is no thank you. it takes 5 seconds and would keep my respect, but when you dont even take 5 seconds to respond its just rude! i respond to every post that i post or that someone else does, unless there on my ignore list, because they're there for a reason. i know there are still traders but there are just so many bad one's now. with more members come so many bad one's. and some of the more veteran traders are becoming unhappy. (especially me). does anyone have anyone have respect for one another anymore?
    this has become a very big issue to me. and i think this needs to be discussed.

end of my rant now

about replying to posts, if you don't hear from someone just PM them (i bet you do but thought i'd say so in case :). i sometimes lose track of posts i have replied to. this is a huge site, it can be hard to keep up with. i didn't really have trouble when i had my email notifications turned on, but now that i turned them off (was getting too many emails) sometimes i forget or it takes me longer to realize someone replied to me in a thread.

some members might not be as savvy or used to how to trade on this site too, so take that into account. instead of getting upset with others just tell them in a PM "hey, i replied to you can you let me know" and they'll start to get the hang of it.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

i do the whole thing. its frusterating to set a trade up after 20 minutes + for them to bail and not reply. or reply on your thread, and you can see there still online browsing the boards 20 minutes after you replyed back. i even use the recipt thing to see if they read the message and they do, but dont reply to my pm

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Suns

well then i can't explain that. but if a user is browsing the site that could mean anything. sometimes i am on here but i am also doing work at the same time, so i am back and forth. but if you have PM'ed someone to go look at the thread then i don't know.

also sometimes i will read a PM but reply to it later if i am busy with some other things. you never know what's going on with others.

SCF Rewards
    Country

ONLY if you are entirely looking to make money off of sportscards. If that is the case, I agree with you. However, if you view it as a hobby, then ebay is another tool, not the Bible
    Ed

But that's kind of what we're talking about here; transacting in cards. Exchanging real dollars with a universal currency value for little pieces of cardboard with pictures of athletes printed on them that have no currency value whatsoever.

I don't know anyone- hobby or not- who is willing to pay more for something than what they could purchase it for elsewhere, given equal amounts of time and effort involved.

When people stomp their feet and snivel that "ZOMG PEOPLE KEEP TELLING ME THAT MY $500 BV CARD THAT I'M TRYING TO SELL FOR $300 CAN BE HAD ON EBAY FOR CHEAPER! HOW RUDE OF THEM!", the problem isn't with the people looking at ebay- it's with the idiot who expects an unrealistic price for his stuff and refuses to accept that "book value" doesn't mean anything when you're trying to actually sell something. Ebay does. It means everything.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ss_cardshop515's Items on eBay

I actually was looking for a place to post a rant about people ignoring my posts/pm's just yesterday. Some people think they're too good to respond or something, and it's been bothering me for a while. Also, I'm 13, and IMO I'm good enough to be on the site. LOL.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast