Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

SCF Official Review: 2008/09 Topps Tip-Off

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsor, Topps, for providing us with this hobby box to review.

2008/09 Topps Tip-off Basketball
    36 packs per box
    6 cards per pack
    MSRP: $30

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
    - 146 Base Cards
    - 1 Parallel Card per Pack!
    - 6 Team Tattoo Cards per Box!
    - 2 Autographed Rookie Cards per Case!
    - Only $0.99 per Pack!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
    BASE CARDS - ON 20 PT. STOCK
    - Veterans & Retired(110)
    - Rookies(36)

PARALLEL CARDS - 1 PER PACK!
    - Red(146) - #'d to 2008.
    - Gold(146) - #'d to 199.
    - Printing Plates(146 subs/584 plates) - One of one. Hobby Exclusive!

INSERT CARDS - 6 PER BOX!
    - Team Tattoos(30) - Featuring all 30 NBA team logos.

AUTOGRAPHED ROOKIE CARDS - 2 PER HOBBY CASE!
    - Rookies(30) - #'d to 50.
    - Printing Plates(30 subs/120 plates) - One of One. Hobby Exclusive!

TOPPS TOWN CODE CARDS - 1 PER PACK!

WHAT WE PULLED

Base: 110/110 (100%)
    Dupes: 26
    Rookies: 33/33 (100%)
    Dupes: 3

The breakdown of the complete set is 90 veterans, 20 retired and 33 rookies. The base cards have a nice look. The border is white with a blending of grey and black. The veterans are displayed in action photos while the rookies appear in photo shoot mode. In the top left, the logo and set name are displayed, but do not stand out so that the photo is the main focus of the card.

We hit the stated odds for the tattoos as they came in every 6 packs. The logos has a nice, deep color and stand out real well. The tattoos are backwards as they are the type where you wet the area, peel and then stick. From there, you leave the card in place for 30 seconds and peel it away. Definitely a great way to show support for your favorite team.

Tattoos (6/30):
    Bucks, Clippers, Mavericks, Pistons, Raptors, Spurs

There are two parallels in the set. One is red bordered and numbered to 2008, while the other is gold bordered and numbered to 199. These two color choices really enhance the photos on the cards. Another nice aspect is when the cards are placed side by side, the lines of the border give a nice wave-like feeling that's pleasing on the eyes.

Red Parallel (36/143): Kobe Bryant, Chris Bosh, Andrew Bogut, Tony Parker, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Richard Jefferson, Al Jefferson, Corey Maggette, Hedo Turkoglu, Mo Williams, Andre Iguodala, Shaquille O'Neal, Dwayne Wade, Anderson Varejao, Antawn Jamison, Ricky Davis, Kirk Hinrich, Chris Wilcox, Jamario Moon, Dirk Nowitzki, Ben Gordon, Rudy Gay, Monta Ellis, Samuel Dalembert, Ron Artest, Gilbert Arenas, O.J. Mayo, Eric Gordon, Joe Alexander, Anthony Randolph, J.J. Hickson, Koufa Koufos, Nicolas Batum, George Hill, Walter Sharpe
    Gold Parallel (2/143): Manu Ginobili, Ron Artest

Final Ratings (Out of 5):
    Base set: 5/5
    Fun: 3/5
    Overall design: 5/5
    Value: 4/5
    Re-buy: 2/5

Overall: 19/25 (76%)

Topps Tip-off is obviously meant for kids and I love it for that. Don't let the low overall total fool you as that's a grade for the regular card collector. If I was a parent buying this for my child, the number would be higher. The affordability alone is wonderful. You know exactly what you are getting as soon as you buy it. The fact you can complete the base set with all the rookies is a great selling point. Not many sets can claim that. This gives kids the opportunity to feel like they've accomplished something, plus they get some tattoos to play with.

One aspect that would add to it is the stick of bubble gum. I know this was found in the last couple of years with the Bazooka line, so why not carry it over. Imagine the enjoyment of a kid with $1 in hand able to get 6 cards, possibly a tattoo and a piece of gum.

The rarity of autos, 2 per case, is another nice aspect. It makes the pull even more meaningful from a low-end product. You don't expect anything, so if you are fortunate enough to get one, it's a reason to celebrate.

As always, thanks again to the fine folks at Topps at providing us with this box for review.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sp0odini's Items on eBay

Wow, only 30 dollars? That's a deal right there. Reminds me of when I was younger trying to build sets and my parents would only buy me packs that were a dollar or two. This should surely be a reason for parents to buy their kids cards and back into the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree, thats not bad for $30! Way to go Topps

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sg89collector's Items on eBay

A great set for casual collectors - I like that tattoo idea... heh. I think it's also great you completed a set out of only 1 box

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers
    Upper Deck ePack

Nice price on a great box of cards! Very nice break and review!

Thanks Topps!

Darin

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

The tip off/opening day products from topps are always fun to break!
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See kgarnett215's Items on eBay

That's awesome! $30 and you complete the set...nice review too!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Suns

I think this seems like a cool set, at 99 cents a pack that's great... and did i read that right, a numbered parallel in each pack? I don't really like the idea of pulling a tattoo, but i can see how kids would like it and i probably would have liked it when i was younger so i can't knock it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice break Tony. I like those logos.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See patrick_dw's Items on eBay

The cards look good, and you get a lot of them for your money! I really like this. I hate the fact that most cards cost so much these days and that you have to buy several boxes in order to complete a base set.
    So after reading this review, I ordered a box of Topps Tip Off right away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast