Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pretty neat stories

SCF Rewards
    Country

Did you get to meet Magic somewhere? I'd really like to get him. I almost drove to the Dick Vitale Gala last month to try and get him, but decided not to risk the potential failure of a long night. I have heard he is really nice.

once at a public signing in hollywood, and again at a book signing in los angeles, and friendly yes he was, i asked if he remembered giving a speech at the university of redlands, and told him i was sitting in the front row there, next time i might have to ask him if any of his business ventures have any openings, bet he would be a ™™™™™in boss to work for

SCF Rewards
    Country

Last year (actually last summer) when I visited my friend's house near Detroit for the week, I ended up going out to dinner one night. I decided to go to a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant which was 5 minutes from his house. What I expected to be a normal dinner was far from that. When I finally sat down at this Buffalo Wild Wings, I looked around the resturant and noticed all these people in Detroit Lions gear and did not think to much about it. I saw a local Detroit Sports Radio Station there to and did not think to much about it. About 5 minutes later, I see a familar grapher I have seen at a Calvin Johnson signing in the past with a big helmet that has a bunch of Detroit Lions signatures on it walking around. Then a waitress comes to take my order, I proceeded to ask her what was going on at this Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant that night. She went to find out and tell me that Matthew Stafford was here. I had a hard time believing this. After this waitress took my order, I glanced over to look and saw that it was actually Matthew Stafford!!! I left my 2 Detroit Lions mini helmets at my friends house thinking nothing would happen when I went out to eat. I proceeded to call my friend to let him know what happened at this restaurant and 5 minutes later, he shows up with my Detroit Lions mini helmet. After I got done eating, I got in line and the manager was trying to tell everybody that Stafford was done signing. When Stafford finished up with the radio show, he was about to leave and it became a mob scene when he was walking out the door. I proceeded to get right into the mess and came out with a mini helmet signed by Matthew Stafford!!!

Of course out of all the places I pick to go out to eat at on that night, I picked the one place where Stafford would appear at and not have any advanced knowledge of him being there. What are the odds of this happening again to where I get lucky lol???

When it was all said and done, I talked to a couple of the graphers there that I have met from graphing the NBA IP up there in the past as I saw they were prepared and ready. They all told me that this radio show was listed on the station website and they all found out about it one week before it happened. Of course the one website I don't check as I didn't expect any Detroit Lions radio shows to go on during the summer, they end up listing one on that website lol......
    Last edited by sigman101; 06-22-2010 at 08:28 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See indian1797's Items on eBay

amazing the stories you hear, good thing I bumped up this post, I found it and the last post was in 2008! Guess nothing interesting happened that year/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Long story short. A bunch of people at work decide to hit Gretzky's for dinner. The dinner was going good until we heard a commotion at the private room. Word spread like crazy that Gretzky was eating in the room. I then see Gary Green come walking out and no one says anything to him but I shout out "Hey Gary Green". He was all happy and said hi. After Gretzky finishes his dinner, he goes to each table to sign autos and say hi. Luckily we had a camera for the 8 of us. A great picture was taken as well as 2 autos on a piece of paper and parking stub.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Gloobenberg's Items on eBay

When I was a kid, My father's best friend was a card show promoter and was in charge of getting guys to come and sign at these shows. So this one show, Bob Feller was there but the guy who was supposed to sit with him during the signing couldn't make it, so he let my father and I sit next to Mr Feller all afternoon...telling me stories about Babe Ruth(the famous picture of Ruth's last appearance at Yankee Stadium, he's leaning on a bat, that was Feller's bat) and other old players and things like that...was an awesome experience!

I'm sure i have more stories..just having a brain fart right now lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See don't have ebay's Items on eBay

My dad's company works with ESPN radio occassionally, doing "Lunch with Legends" promotions in Manhattan, where my dad works. He wasn't told who the legend was, but decided he'd go anyway. Next thing you know, he sits at his company's table to find that Walt Frazier and Michael Kay are sitting on both sides of him. He said they sat and talked all afternoon and he said they were both really good guys. Spoke to Michael Kay about the signings of CC, AJ, and Texeira. Talked to Frazier about the "good old days" of the NBA, and some upcoming superstars in the NBA.

A Personal Story of Mine
    My mom's company handed her four passes to a "Dinner with Champions" sponsored by Kelloggs. She didn't know who it was, and neither did I. We were given these passes to let us in, then when we got there, they handed us passes with Mariano Rivera's picture on them. There was also a video screen up on the wall, so we thought we'd get a pre-recorded video, but then the manager of the restaurant says Mariano will be out in a minute or two. He came out, answered questions, and signed some autographs, even though he wasn't supposed to. Kelloggs had these baseballs with a little Tony the Tiger face on it that Mariano had signed for us all, and that's all he was suppsosed to do, but he still signed for everyone. He was really cool and funny. I got the opportunity to ask him what was his favorite moment in his career, and he said it was closing out his first world series. He even posed for pictures with everyone and jokingly handled questions from a Mets fan present. Very cool experience with my favorite athlete that I'll never forget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12