One of the best things about the internet is the ability to share news, pictures, articles and other information with families and friends. Blogs allow people to post news or write articles and have friends, family members and guests provide comments. Additionally, having the ability to create your own "web pages" is a great way to build trade lists, etc. SCF now has member blogs and web pages.
SCF is providing blogs and member pages to our VIP Members and staff. Additionally, the ranks of Immortal, Icon and Legend, and our Century traders (100 transactions in one month) will have a blog as well. If you don't qualify, I recommend purchasing a VIP Membership as you will be getting a full featured blog (like blogger.com) and webpages (like freewebs.com).
You can check out some finished blogs on the main blog page.
SCF BLOGS AND PAGES TUTORIAL
At the very top, left of User CP you will see a Blogs link. Click that and it will take you to your Blog Settings page.
This area allows you to set up preferences for your Blog. In the main portion on the right side you can set up notifications for blog comments. You can also set up who can see and comment on your blog.
On the left side, you will be able to customize your blog using the Blog Control Panel.
- Your Blog - Takes you to your blog. You can post new blogs, etc
- Customize Blog Style - Allows you to add a background image, change the text style and the look and feel of your blog
- Blog Title and Description - Name and detail your blog. Shows up at the top of your blog page.
- Blog Options - Takes you to the User CP Blog page
- Blog Groups - Allow other members to write articles on your blog
- Blog Categories - These are the categories you will post your blogs to for easy browsing.
- Blog Sidebar - Allows you to sort your blocks (Recent comments, search, etc).
- Custom Pages - Allows you to set up pages like on Free Webs. For example, you can build trade lists, personal collection lists, etc. See the tutorial for custom pages here.
- Blog Subscriptions - Manage anyone subscribed to your blog
- Blog Statistics - see how well your blog is doing!
Your blog URL is based on your member number. Here is mine:
I'm member number 21,935. Use this link to place on your freewebs or other websites.
If you have any blog articles they will show up there. One of the first things that you will notice is the View Filter. This will allow you to sort your blog by published articles, ones you have deleted or ones that are in draft form.
You will also notice on the left side your profile photo, how many posts you have and how many blog entries. Underneath that you will see your blog options. Click Post to Your Blog to start a new entry. Blog entries are just like posting threads and posts on the SCF forums. You can search your articles using your blogs search feature or use the calendar to search by date.
There are several cool features when posting articles:
- Tags - for sorting out you articles. A tag cloud is available as a block
- Featured Entry Manager - multiple entries can be featured on the blog home page now.
- Private Entries - users may set specific entries to be private while leaving their blog open.
- Drafts - You can save and work on later!
Syndication and Subscriptions
Site wide and per-blog RSS feeds allow syndication to external readers, and full support for vBulletin subscriptions enables users to join their favorite blogs and receive regular email updates.
At the top of SCF on the second navigation bar you will notice a "Blogs" drop down menu that will allow quick access to your blogs.