Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Seems to me prices are dropping

I can't say a whole lot about baseball across the board as I only collect 2019 Topps Heritage. That's it. No more No less. It's the only product I really know and don't buy a whole lot of the graded for 2019 Heritage either. So, the only thing I've noticed is the pricing for raw has been declining pretty steadily for this set. At the moment I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this elsewhere......other baseball products, other sports etc.? Personally, I love it. I do some moderate selling with cards that I purchase in lots. But selling high and buying high or selling low and buying low makes no difference to me. The majority of what I purchase is out of pocket so I say keep dropping. My next question, if you agree that things are dropping, is whether or not to reign spending in a bit. Not that I'm going to stop buying right now because I'm an addict. The plan is to hoard it up until January-February (or later). Thoughts?
    Last edited by baystate123; 01-10-2022 at 03:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes things that were selling well throughout the year and tanked lately. Probably due to the holidays but also because people are worried about the economy. We were never going to get the card prices like they were back in Jan-March again but prices have continued to slide from the prices they were during the summer.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes things that were selling well throughout the year and tanked lately. Probably due to the holidays but also because people are worried about the economy. We were never going to get the card prices like they were back in Jan-March again but prices have continued to slide from the prices they were during the summer.

Love it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Can't speak much about the sports side, as I only collect older unopened hockey product, and generally speaking, sports collectors have been crazy or they have deep pockets, or they are lucky and they are crazy with deep pockets, and sports card prices to me have always been stupid high since about 2015-2016 or so, or they have been stupid low if you didn't get one of the handful of desirable cards basically the rest of your cards are for your kids to play with and then you toss them in the trash after they are destroyed because trading cards aren't recyclable.

But the non-sports, specifically Marvel, skyrocketed there say about December 2020 until just recently, and now the prices have been coming down quite a bit. Although, they are still settling down at significantly higher bottom prices than they were pre-covid. With PMG's still retaining very high prices, particularly the key characters. Of note perhaps of interest to someone, is that the most desirable characters have changed during covid also!

I have made a gold mine during covid! And I am still sitting on an even bigger gold mine simply due to the covid inflation.

I hope prices don't drop too low as my collecting habits have also changed during covid.

Before covid I was a collector. But you couldn't even call me a collector because it was more of a dirty hoarding obsession than collecting. ™™™ I need 10 sets of everything for, plus a set that I can handle in hand without sleeves, because I like the feel. Plus hoarding unopened product. Before covid I liked the low prices as it allowed me to hoard.

But with the covid inflation, and being able to sell cards for 100-1000X what I paid for them, I got the selling/flipping addiction. And now I am addicted to selling, and I pretty much want to sell everything except for one set of each that I can handle in raw state, and keep all my unopened product to sell in my retirement to rich chinese kids whose parents haven't even met to procreate them yet.

My 45 cents.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Can't speak much about the sports side, as I only collect older unopened hockey product, and generally speaking, sports collectors have been crazy or they have deep pockets, or they are lucky and they are crazy with deep pockets, and sports card prices to me have always been stupid high since about 2015-2016 or so, or they have been stupid low if you didn't get one of the handful of desirable cards basically the rest of your cards are for your kids to play with and then you toss them in the trash after they are destroyed because trading cards aren't recyclable.

But the non-sports, specifically Marvel, skyrocketed there say about December 2020 until just recently, and now the prices have been coming down quite a bit. Although, they are still settling down at significantly higher bottom prices than they were pre-covid. With PMG's still retaining very high prices, particularly the key characters. Of note perhaps of interest to someone, is that the most desirable characters have changed during covid also!

I have made a gold mine during covid! And I am still sitting on an even bigger gold mine simply due to the covid inflation.

I hope prices don't drop too low as my collecting habits have also changed during covid.

Before covid I was a collector. But you couldn't even call me a collector because it was more of a dirty hoarding obsession than collecting. ™™™ I need 10 sets of everything for, plus a set that I can handle in hand without sleeves, because I like the feel. Plus hoarding unopened product. Before covid I liked the low prices as it allowed me to hoard.

But with the covid inflation, and being able to sell cards for 100-1000X what I paid for them, I got the selling/flipping addiction. And now I am addicted to selling, and I pretty much want to sell everything except for one set of each that I can handle in raw state, and keep all my unopened product to sell in my retirement to rich chinese kids whose parents haven't even met to procreate them yet.

My 45 cents.

Without knowing how old you are or how long away from retirement you are, but sell what you an now would be my advice.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A curious thing I've noticed recently is the gap in pricing. I realize there's always been the "shoot for the stars" listings. But the gap between high and low has been opening up. The listings at the top are either sticking to their guns or are lagging in their adjustments.
    For instance, I've had my eye on a card. The average buy it now price has been around $40 with auction numbers around $25-$30(but dropping). A few of the "shoot for the stars" guys still have them pushing $100. Yesterday, 2 sellers listed it the same day with $30 best offers. One was .25 cents lower than the next for attraction obviously. A red flag right there that things are getting good for buyers. One took an offer of $12.75. And this is a common trend happening over the last month or so in my 2019 Heritage pursuits. Hopefully the bottom falls out on this thing.......for me anyways.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Still not sure what is going on with these prices, but I wouldn't say they are dropping.

In regards to PMG's, jamby's, plates, and various low serial numbered inserts:

Been selling cards I paid $3 for, for $400 - $600. Now that I am sold out, I see these listed at $1000 - $1500.
    Been selling cards I paid $5 for, for $1000. Now I am seeing these listed for $5000+.
    Been selling cards I paid $10 - $20 for, for $1200 - $1500+. Now I am seeing these listed at $5000+.
    Spider-man and Wolverine printing plates that I was paying $100-$250 for, sold for over $3000 - $4000 each! Could probably list those now for $25,000 each, and auto-accept a 50% offer so the buyer feels like they are getting a deal!

And the curious thing, is after I sold some of those cards, those buyers then relist at even crazier prices! And then I notice they disappear...like did they sell?

Because if I buy a card for $15, sell it for $1500, and then he sells it for $9,999... Those COMC boys be seeing some crazy shti behind the lines!

Also, why do I get seller's remorse when I buy a card for $20 and sell it for $1200, just because the new buyer relists it at $5000? Considering I already have a full stack of said card duplicates in hand at home...

How does the guy feel who originally opened the e-pack of cards and dumped their hits on COMC for peanuts? Because there are TONS of these guys! I don't understand, like I have 14 e-pack accounts, and not one of them has ever dumped cards to COMC! So when you only have 1 single e-pack account to focus on, how do you manage to dump all your cards for pennies?

And what about that crazy spidey PMG red that sold for $72,000? But did you see the new sale, the blue PMG spidey for like $132,000. These sales are hard to gauge because of the amount of ill-intentioned bidders who know DAMN WELL that they can just keep on bidding and bidding and take another drink and keep on bidding and bidding, because some other idiot will outbid them GUARANTEED.

In the Marvel world, there were 3 sets that if you kept until late 2020 / 2021 / current / perhaps the future?, you will have made yourself a fortune!!! 2013 Marvel Retro, 2015 Marvel Retro, and 2017 Fleer Ultra Spider-Man. The new collectors and their deep pockets want these. 2018 Fleer Ultra X-Men has been there, just not stupid priced, yet.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's one area of the industry that I'm without a doubt completely ignorant. My collecting window is so narrow with 2019 Topps Heritage, I've barely got a handle outside of that 1 baseball set. Which is basically the reason for starting this thread. You seem to have good insight on that market. That's great.

Still not sure what is going on with these prices, but I wouldn't say they are dropping.

In regards to PMG's, jamby's, plates, and various low serial numbered inserts:

Been selling cards I paid $3 for, for $400 - $600. Now that I am sold out, I see these listed at $1000 - $1500.
    Been selling cards I paid $5 for, for $1000. Now I am seeing these listed for $5000+.
    Been selling cards I paid $10 - $20 for, for $1200 - $1500+. Now I am seeing these listed at $5000+.
    Spider-man and Wolverine printing plates that I was paying $100-$250 for, sold for over $3000 - $4000 each! Could probably list those now for $25,000 each, and auto-accept a 50% offer so the buyer feels like they are getting a deal!

And the curious thing, is after I sold some of those cards, those buyers then relist at even crazier prices! And then I notice they disappear...like did they sell?

Because if I buy a card for $15, sell it for $1500, and then he sells it for $9,999... Those COMC boys be seeing some crazy shti behind the lines!

Also, why do I get seller's remorse when I buy a card for $20 and sell it for $1200, just because the new buyer relists it at $5000? Considering I already have a full stack of said card duplicates in hand at home...

How does the guy feel who originally opened the e-pack of cards and dumped their hits on COMC for peanuts? Because there are TONS of these guys! I don't understand, like I have 14 e-pack accounts, and not one of them has ever dumped cards to COMC! So when you only have 1 single e-pack account to focus on, how do you manage to dump all your cards for pennies?

And what about that crazy spidey PMG red that sold for $72,000? But did you see the new sale, the blue PMG spidey for like $132,000. These sales are hard to gauge because of the amount of ill-intentioned bidders who know DAMN WELL that they can just keep on bidding and bidding and take another drink and keep on bidding and bidding, because some other idiot will outbid them GUARANTEED.

In the Marvel world, there were 3 sets that if you kept until late 2020 / 2021 / current / perhaps the future?, you will have made yourself a fortune!!! 2013 Marvel Retro, 2015 Marvel Retro, and 2017 Fleer Ultra Spider-Man. The new collectors and their deep pockets want these. 2018 Fleer Ultra X-Men has been there, just not stupid priced, yet.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do believe I was the biggest Marvel base and insert hoarder there for several decades running.

As I was never interested in the main cards that most (all?) collectors chase: stupid autographs, 1/1's, stupid sketch cards, low low number cards, etc. I never had to spend any big money on any useless cards that I didn't want, and everyone would dump the cards that I did want for peanuts.

I remember several of the big eBay addicted sellers who are still big today, mostly sports guys, telling me that the cards I collect are "stupid and g@y and they won't ever be worth anything"! Well thank you for your eBay addiction, because you sold me your cards for cheap and now I am becoming rich thanks to covid!

You are supposed to sell when your cards are either A) Brand New, or B) Red Hot. If you sell at any other time, then you are doing it wrong bro!!! Your eBay selling addiction is costing you more than just your pride now. Pride is cheap, but the amount of cards some of these sellers have dumped over the decades, are literally worth millions now in ungraded state; once you factor in the grading wild card, could be a billion $.

SCF Rewards
    Country

2 weeks ago I saw the walls on the bubble flexing pretty good. All she needed was a jagged rock and she would have spewed her contents everywhere.

Then last week I saw the bubble continue to grow.

This week I would say the bubble has stagnated.

That being said, I still wake up nearly every morning to $500+ worth of card sales that I spent less than $20 on!

Over $30,000 USD in sales in January from one port! I spent less than $400 on those cards!! Probably more like $250 or so!!! Another $250,000 worth of cards sitting in that port alone. (I have multiple ports - I am a multi!).

_____

I always thought I was doing the trading card hobby wrong! Because everyone would open their cases immediately and try to be the first goof-lips on eBay selling said product for pennies. Often before the set had taken off! I always thought that was a gamble at best, and a huge waste of money. The only explanation for this behaviour that I could come up with over the decades was sheer eBay addiction. eBay sellers have to proclaim that they are bigger eBay addicts than the other eBay sellers, and the cycle continues while eBay becomes a rich fat beeyotch!

I mean good on eBay for becoming the #1 world authority on all trading cards! Personally I would have chosen anybody else other than eBay to be the trading card authority, but addiction has spoken. It would have been nice for the trading card community to come together as a whole and elevate itself out of the eBay gutter at any point over the last 2 decades! Alas, that did not happen as addiction is too great.

2 decades of everyone selling their hits for pennies, and me buying them and hoarding them, has finally paid off! Let the bubble grow boys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast