Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1

    Worst IP rejection line?

    Everyone who has done in person autographs has been shot down for an autograph at somepoint. You will get the typical lines like "I'll be back" or "Later." It is an artform that players develope in order to not seem to mean to fans, but still go get done what they need to do. I have laughed at players who told me they have to go run now before a baseball game and watch them go sit in the bullpen. This is just they way things go. My favorite rejection was outside of the NFL Combines in Indianapolis. I stayed acrossed the street while most of the guys were getting an autograph over on the dome side of the road when I saw a player walking up my side of the street. It was Larry Johnson! It was just me and LJ. I asked him for his autograph and his simple response was.... "I don't sign for free!" I had just gotten the Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer only a few minutes before and he was very nice, so this threw me for a loop! I stood there drop jawed. We all know that Larry Johnson has been a wonderful TTM autographer for years now. He also just may have been having a bad moment as we all do from time to time, but that rejection line is the one that will always stick for me. "I don't sign for free." Thank God that all the atheletes do not feel that way.
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

  2. #2
    When I was 6 years old during the 90 season, my dad and I went down to the Airport (before you needed to go through security to get to the gates) to catch some Reds before leaving for a road trip, at the time they still used commercial flights, we had a few baseballs and I got Eric Davis, Rob Dibble, Norm Charlton, Larkin, Sabo and most of the rest of the team, I'll never forget walking up to Ken Griffey Sr. and asking for his autograph, his response was "Call my agent kid" and handed me his agent Brian Goldberg's business card!
    2009 Topps Heritage Want List:
    Hidden Content

    TTM Photobucket: Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by abefroman22 View Post
    When I was 6 years old during the 90 season, my dad and I went down to the Airport (before you needed to go through security to get to the gates) to catch some Reds before leaving for a road trip, at the time they still used commercial flights, we had a few baseballs and I got Eric Davis, Rob Dibble, Norm Charlton, Larkin, Sabo and most of the rest of the team, I'll never forget walking up to Ken Griffey Sr. and asking for his autograph, his response was "Call my agent kid" and handed me his agent Brian Goldberg's business card!
    How could he deny the Sausage King of Chicago, Abe Froman?

  4. #4
    Waiting outside the Red Sox hotel in San Francisco last year with a grand total of 4 other autograph seekers when Curt Schilling came out and said he "couldn't" sign anything. He then proceeded to get on the team bus and just sit there for 10 minutes while other players got on. Gotta love JD Drew though, who signed even though he was on his cellphone and walked out with his breakfast in a bag, which I held for him while he signed.

    So was Curt just blowing us off? Or does he have some silly contract that means he really cannot sign?
    Last edited by Go Sox; 03-24-2009 at 07:51 AM.

  5. #5
    A few years ago (back when Scott Rolen was on the Phillies).

    Me and my best friend went to a game @ fenway. During warm ups i think it was he was swinging a bat waiting for his turn... I got his attention.. he turned around and said i dont sign on the road !!! ....... lol

  6. #6
    That's odd. I saw Rolen Sign in LA a couple years ago.

  7. #7
    Thank God this one didn't happen to me. I had just gotten Matt DeSalvo's autograph when a crowd of people came up to him. He had just come back down from his stint with the Yankees and apparently was thinking very highly of himself. Anyway, one of the "pro" autograph seekers came up to him, Matt looked him up and down and said simply, "I won't sign for you." He then walked away. Three weeks later he did the same thing to everybody. He rejected me several times, until I helped him out by telling people to leave him alone, as he was walking with his arms full and people were bugging him big time for an autograph. I mean he had luggage and his phone and was busy. He nodded at me and came back after going to his car and signed 1 card for me before walking off again telling people he won't sign for them because they were discourteous! He was a unique individual!!!
    I collect NY Yankees, NY Giants, NY Rangers, NY Knicks, and NJ Nets. I am willing to trade. PM me if you have any cards signed by players from these teams.

    Working on collecting all living New York Giants (football) and New York Yankees. The question is which team drives me nuts first!!!

  8. #8
    to go along with gunners story, I was at the Firestone invitational last year, when one of the professional autograph seekers came up to zach johnson with blank photo paper- the guy would have golfers sign it, then he would print the pictures. Anyways, Zach looked at the guy, grabbed the pen, and, as big as he could signed "TO EBAY, Love Zach"
    He then told the guy to get lost, and proceeded to sign for everyone else
    Please realize when making offers, that shipping in a bubble mailer isn't free!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Sox View Post
    That's odd. I saw Rolen Sign in LA a couple years ago.

    R U SERIOUS !!!!!!!! that ******* POS..........
    Next time i see him

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by palantri View Post
    to go along with gunners story, I was at the Firestone invitational last year, when one of the professional autograph seekers came up to zach johnson with blank photo paper- the guy would have golfers sign it, then he would print the pictures. Anyways, Zach looked at the guy, grabbed the pen, and, as big as he could signed "TO EBAY, Love Zach"
    He then told the guy to get lost, and proceeded to sign for everyone else

    Hahaha that is great
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos: Dodgers, UCLA, Adrian Gonzalez, Joe Johnson, Matt Ryan + More listed on my tradelist
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •