Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why autographs?

Country

Why autographs?

This thought crossed my mind yesterday as I was sitting out in the pouring rain waiting to get dwight howard. what makes autographs so significant? its just a person writing their name. i write my name probly 10 times a day, but its nothing significant. dont get me wrong i love collecting autos, but what the heck makes them so valuable. why is a card with mj and lebron autos on it gonna sell for 1000? i understand game used pieces and stuff like that. but what is significant about autos?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tmoneyolson's Items on eBay

i've asked myself that question a few times haha

never came up with an answer though

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country

me 2

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sometimes it is the connection with the player. You know that the player actually had the item in their hands and the signature is just proof. The IP autographs are more special to me than any others as you were there and it is a reminder of that day and meeting that player. I am sure others have better reasons, but those are mine.
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I will have to agree with "indyreds", IP autos are definetly more personal, as reminders of that day you saw that person! TTM is cool too, but not as significant as IP! Especially if you caught the athlete somewhere casually - and not at a signing event!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See biggums7's Items on eBay

This thought crossed my mind yesterday as I was sitting out in the pouring rain waiting to get dwight howard. what makes autographs so significant? its just a person writing their name. i write my name probly 10 times a day, but its nothing significant. dont get me wrong i love collecting autos, but what the heck makes them so valuable. why is a card with mj and lebron autos on it gonna sell for 1000? i understand game used pieces and stuff like that. but what is significant about autos?

Everyone I think has thought of that, also I take it you didn't get Dwight

SCF Rewards
    Country

Auto collecting is kinda summed like this...

when we were a kid, didnt we all "wanna be like mike"??? We played aau basketball, little league, high school ball, whatever. After your last football game in high school, maybe 1 or 2 players went on to college to play but that was it for us. Its memories that you will always have, but for one reason or another, our sports career was over. Yea you can play in a beer league or something, coach your son/daughter little league but you are not the "player" everyone is cheering anymore.

My own story was that a few scouts came to see me and another guy pitch a few times in the state tourney. They liked what they saw but the next start I had, I tore my rotator cuff. That was it. No more 90 mph fastball. After rehab, I could barely hit 80!

So that is why I collect autos. Its reconnecting with the guys that got to MAKE it. Im 30 now and totally over it. I have 2 kids and a great career. That is the way God played out my life and I am totally grateful for everything I have (especially my Ken Griffey Jr. auto I got of his when I was 11!
    Its cool to see some of the players that still cant believe they are getting paid to PLAY BASEBALL! yea, they have to travel in smelly busses to whatever little town that has a minor league team, but maybe... JUST MAYBE, they will someday be on a poster like Ryan Howard, or Roger Clemens. I would think that has to be some of the best memories that they will ever have. Many of the minor league players are very grounded and love to see kids IDOLIZE them. That would be payment enough for me and to get to wear the cool unis!

Hope this is not too off target as to what you were looking for. remember its just a hobby and a great one at that!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think that sums it up perfectly propete.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks NU fan. I hope that I was on target

Country

that is a great way to sum it up. but to to the comment of not getting dh12, i did get him twice, i just thought i was crazy while waiting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast