Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

How I got into Card Collecting

We all have our stories on how we got into the sport card hobby. Well mine is probably just as odd as everyone elses.

I was around seven years young. I was a heavy WWE (then WWF) fan. I collected anything of Wrestling, shirts, hats, memorabilia. All except cards. Well one day, at Meijers, i saw a box of WWF trading cards, i was very intrigued by it, so i begged my mom to buy it for me, of course she gave in and got it for me. I went home and had a blast opening it, i got the full base set and a ring used mat card, i forget the player, but i thought it was the greatest thing in the world!

For the next three years I continued collecting Wrestling cards, while my older brother, three years older than I was was heavily collecting Hockey cards. He got me into Hockey because he was buying boxes of Hockey cards that got 400-500 cards in one box for $20. Well i continued collecting Wrestling cards, but quickly got into Hockey as well. The only problem was that I didn't know who most of the players were because i didn't like to watch Hockey at all, so that quickly ended my collecting Hockey, but not my collecting Wrestling.

About one year later, I began to take an intrest in Basketball. This was at the 2003-04 season. I always loved the game of Basketball, so I thought to myself, why not! Well i had a $80 gift certificate to spend and i found a box at Meijer for a 2003-04 Upper Deck MVP box that guarnteed 1 LeBron James card per pack. There was 36 packs. Now as a 10-11 year old, it didnt matter these LeBron cards would be virtually worth nothing, i was to happy to know that the #1 pick of the draft had one card per pack!

Once I had got into collecting Basketball I slowly ended collecting Wrestling, I grew out of it and was no longer interested, what had first got me into collecting was no over with. They were sold in a garage sale, and at this point I kind of regret getting rid of them.

As the years went by, I began to collect Baseball cards and Football cards as well. I began to watch Baseball in 2003, the year the Detroit Tigers (my hometown team) Lost 119 games. However, I didn’t begin to collect Baseball cards until 2005, I stuck to buying retail packs out of the local party stores vendy machine that had singles and retail packs. That summer, I pulled my best card to that point, at first I almost threw the card out because I didn’t realize what it was until I turned it over, it ended up being a 2004 Topps Total Pedro Martinez 1/1 Printing Press Plate. The odds I later found out of pulling a 1/1 out of a retail pack where slim to none, but I somehow did it! I’ve collected Baseball ever since!

In 2006 when I started to watch Football I quickly got into collecting them as well. The summer of 2006, I opened the most boxes of my life, trading cards to a local card shop in exchange for boxes of cards, I had so much fun doing that which is what the hobby is suppose to be all about. Having fun trading, opening boxes and putting them away! I collect Football still, but not much.

That’s my story of getting in the hobby and my experiences, it may be like some of your experiences and it may be completely different than others. It started with good marketing skills, but my brother helped me out along the way.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I started in 1987. My older brother had some friends that collected and they gave him a hand full of 1987 Topps baseball cards. After that day when he brought them home we collected cards. Both of my brothers have stopped and I stopped for a bit in High School. After high school I got interested again and after I got a job at a card shop I was fully collecting and doing some buying and selling at shows. That slowly turned into only buying and selling and I haven't actually collected in years. Although I have way more cards now than I ever did collecting.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See g1ebe's Items on eBay

Glad to see some people wrote articles about the thread I started :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Glad to see some people wrote articles about the thread I started :)

And who suggested that?

SCF Rewards
    Country

How I got into card collecting

By Dan Gladstone aka gladdyontherise

We all have our stories on how we got into the sport card hobby. Mine is probably just as odd as everyone else’s story.

I was around seven years young. I was a heavy WWE (then WWF) fan. I collected anything of wrestling, such as shirts, hats and memorabilia. This included everything except cards. One day, at a store called Meijers, I saw a box of WWF trading cards. I was very intrigued by it, so I begged my mom to buy it for me. Of course, being a good mom, she gave into my begging and bought it for me. I went home and had a blast opening it. I got the full base set and a ring used mat card, which I thought was the greatest thing in the world!

For the next three years I continued collecting wrestling cards while my brother, three years older, was heavily collecting hockey cards. He got me into hockey because he was buying boxes of hockey cards that got 400-500 cards in one box for $20. I continued collecting wrestling cards but quickly got into hockey as well. The only problem was that I didn't know who most of the players were since I didn't like to watch hockey at all. That quickly ended my collecting of hockey, but not my collecting of wrestling.

About one year later, I began to take an interest in basketball in the 2003-04 season. I always loved the game of basketball, so I thought why not! I had an $80 gift certificate to spend and I found a box at Meijer for a 2003-04 Upper Deck MVP 36 pack box that guaranteed 1 LeBron James card per pack. As a 11 year old, it didn’t matter that these James cards would be virtually worth nothing, as I was to happy to know that the #1 pick of the draft had one card per pack!

Once I had got into collecting basketball I slowly ended collecting wrestling. I grew out of it and was no longer interested. It was said that what had first got me into collecting was what I now no longer collected. All of my wrestling cards were sold in a garage sale, which is a move I now regret.

As the years went by, I began to collect baseball cards and football cards as well. I began to watch baseball in 2003, the year the Detroit Tigers, my hometown team, lost 119 games. However, I didn’t begin to collect baseball cards until 2005. I stuck to buying retail packs out of the local party store’s vending machine that had singles and retail packs. That summer I pulled my best card ever up to that point. At first I almost threw the card out because I didn’t realize what it was until I turned it over. The card ended up being a 2004 Topps Total Pedro Martinez 1/1 Printing Press Plate. Later I found out that the odds of pulling a 1/1 out of a retail pack were slim to none, but I somehow did it! I’ve collected baseball ever since that day!

In 2006 when I started to watch football I quickly got into collecting their cards as well. In the summer of 2006 I opened the most boxes of my life. Trading cards to a local card shop in exchange for boxes of cards showed me the fun that the hobby is all about. I was having fun trading, opening boxes and putting the cards away! Ever since I started trading with my local card shop I have collected football, though not as much as other sports.

That’s my story of getting in the hobby and my experiences. It may be like some of other collector’s experiences and it may also be completely different than others. It all started with good marketing skills, but my brother managed to help me out along the way.
    -------------------------------------

Great story Dan! I will get this up on Digg, Prop and Buzz tomorrow morning.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

How I Got into Card Collecting

By Dan Gladstone aka gladdyontherise

We all have our stories on how we got into the sport card hobby. Mine is probably just as odd as everyone else’s story.

I was around seven years young. I was a heavy WWE (then WWF) fan. I collected anything of wrestling, such as shirts, hats and memorabilia. This included everything except cards. One day, at a store called Meijers, I saw a box of WWF trading cards. I was very intrigued by it, so I begged my mom to buy it for me. Of course, being a good mom, she gave into my begging and bought it for me. I went home and had a blast opening it. I got the full base set and a ring used mat card, which I thought was the greatest thing in the world!

For the next three years I continued collecting wrestling cards while my brother, three years older, was heavily collecting hockey cards. He got me into hockey because he was buying boxes of hockey cards that got 400-500 cards in one box for $20. I continued collecting wrestling cards but quickly got into hockey as well. The only problem was that I didn't know who most of the players were since I didn't like to watch hockey at all. That quickly ended my collecting of hockey, but not my collecting of wrestling.

About one year later, I began to take an interest in basketball during the 2003-04 season. I always loved the sport, so I thought why not! I had an $80 gift certificate to spend and I found a box at Meijer of 2003-04 Upper Deck MVP 36 packs that guaranteed 1 LeBron James card per pack. As a 11 year old, it didn’t matter that these James cards would be virtually worth nothing, as I was too happy to know that the #1 pick of the draft had one card per pack!

Once I had got into collecting basketball I slowly stopped collecting wrestling. I grew out of it and was no longer interested. It was said that what had first got me into collecting was what I now no longer collected. All of my wrestling cards were sold in a garage sale, which is a move I now regret.

As the years went by, I began to collect baseball cards and football cards as well. I began to watch baseball in 2003, the year the Detroit Tigers, my hometown team, lost 119 games. However, I didn’t begin to collect baseball cards until 2005. I stuck to buying retail packs out of the local party store’s vending machine that had singles and retail packs. That summer I pulled my best card ever up to that point. At first I almost threw the card out because I didn’t realize what it was until I turned it over. The card ended up being a 2004 Topps Total Pedro Martinez 1/1 Printing Press Plate. Later I found out that the odds of pulling a 1/1 out of a retail pack were slim to none, but I somehow did it! I’ve collected baseball ever since that day!

In 2006 when I started to watch football I quickly got into collecting their cards as well. In the summer of 2006 I opened the most boxes of my life. Trading cards to a local card shop in exchange for boxes of cards showed me the fun that the hobby is all about. I was having fun trading, opening boxes and putting the cards away! Ever since I started trading with my local card shop I have collected football, though not as much as other sports.

That’s my story of getting in the hobby and my experiences. It may be like some of other collector’s experiences and it may also be completely different than others. It all started with good marketing skills, but my brother managed to help me out along the way.