Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See johnson7878j's Items on eBay

HELP!!! There’s a Bigfoot in my baseball box

johnson7878j - The Concerned Collector

HELP!!! There’s a Bigfoot in my baseball box
    By: The Concerned Collector

A few years ago I was at a card show shopping around. I came across a hobby box of Upper Deck’s A Piece of History baseball. In the mood for a box break, I pick it up and proceeded to the dealer for more info. While talking to him, he tells me that one of my “hits” from the box will be a celebrity relic card. That was all I needed to hear. That box quickly went back to its original resting place, never to be picked up again by this baseball collector. Are the card companies trying something new? A fad you say. Well unfortunately that is not the case. At the present time it is proving to be quite difficult to find a box of cards with just baseball in it.
    Over the past few years I have purchased boxes of Topps baseball and have pulled cards of former presidents of the United States, war veterans, and signers of the Declaration of Independence. Tried a box of Topps turkey red, again I pull cards of former presidents. Topps co-signers offers autographs from boxing. I bust a box of Bowman and get an auto of the guy who scouted Frank Thomas as on of my “hits.” Topps is not alone. Upper Deck also has inserts of presidential candidates in its base baseball product. I buy a box of 2009 Upper Deck baseball and I end up pulling a Laird Hamilton (surfer) insert, as well as an “I love you” e-mail virus card, a Duke Blue Devils college basketball card, and a Mike Bossy (hockey player) card. Donruss has also been guilty of this infraction with their “fans of the game” inserts and autographs. On the crazier end of things are Topps Allen & Ginter as well as Upper Deck’s Goodwin Champions. Topps A&G has included some obnoxious cards. A piece of the monster truck Bigfoot, a piece of a unicorn’s horn, hair from a beard and mustache growing champion. Other examples of A&G’s absurd cards are, hair from a bigfoot (I wonder if the Henderson’s signed the waiver for that, or can Harry write?) a relic from the invisible man, as well as flags from numerous countries, famous people from history, hoaxes, landmarks, etc. Goodwin Champions on the other hand may take the cake. In a box of this product there is the chance to pull a card of an actual butterfly.
    These non-baseball cards do have a market. People are paying generous amounts of their hard earned money for these cards. I just think they should not be in baseball boxes. Many people don’t have an issue with them being in baseball boxes. Some say it promotes the collecting hobby as a whole. It helps draw non collectors to the joys of collecting. I agree, just put this stuff in its own box. Donruss set the example with their Donruss Americana release. What’s next? Opening a pack and pulling a Ryan Braun insert, 4 commons and a Pokémon relic? This baseball collector will take a Jimmy Rollins insert over a Grand Canyon black bordered mini any day of the week!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Help! There's a Bigfoot in My Baseball Box!

By Justin Johnson aka johnson7878j

A few years ago I was at a card show shopping around. I came across a hobby box of Upper Deck’s A Piece of History baseball. In the mood for a box break I pick it up and proceeded to the dealer for more info. While talking to him he told me that one of my “hits” from the box would be a celebrity relic card. That was all I needed to hear. That box quickly went back to its original resting place, never to be picked up again by this baseball collector. Are the card companies trying something new? A fad you say it is. Unfortunately that is not the case. At the present time it is proving to be quite difficult to find a box of cards with just baseball in it.

Over the past few years I have purchased boxes of Topps baseball and have pulled cards of former presidents of the United States, war veterans and signers of the Declaration of Independence. I tried a box of Topps Turkey Red and again I pulled cards of former presidents. I saw that Topps Co-Signers offers autographs from boxing. I busted a box of Bowman and got an auto of the guy who scouted Frank Thomas as one of my “hits.” Topps is not alone. Upper Deck also has inserts of presidential candidates in its base baseball product. I bought a box of 2009 Upper Deck baseball and I ended up pulling a Laird Hamilton (surfer) insert as well as an “I love you” e-mail virus card. I also got a Duke Blue Devils college basketball card and a Mike Bossy (hockey player) card. Donruss has also been guilty of this infraction with their “fans of the game” inserts and autographs. On the crazier end of things are Topps Allen & Ginter as well as Upper Deck’s Goodwin Champions. Topps A&G has included some obnoxious cards. Some of the strangest cards included a piece of the monster truck Bigfoot, a piece of a unicorn’s horn and hair from a beard growing champion. Other examples of A&G’s absurd cards are hair from a Bigfoot, (I wonder if the Hendersons’ signed the waiver for that, or can Harry write?) a relic from the invisible man and flags from numerous countries, famous people from history, hoaxes, landmarks, etc. Goodwin Champions, on the other hand, may take the cake. In a box of this product there is the chance to pull a card of an actual butterfly.

These non-baseball cards do have a market. People are paying generous amounts of their hard earned money for these cards. I just think they should not be in baseball boxes. Many people don’t have an issue with them being in baseball boxes. Some say it promotes the collecting hobby as a whole. It helps draw non-collectors to the joys of collecting. I agree that it helps the hobby but it would be easier to just put this stuff in its own box. Donruss set the example with their Donruss Americana release. What’s next? Buying and opening a pack of baseball cards and pulling a Ryan Braun insert, 4 commons and a Pokémon relic? This baseball collector will take a Jimmy Rollins insert over a Grand Canyon black bordered mini any day of the week!