Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See champ1985's Items on eBay

A card with memories - Contest Entry

We consider ourselves lucky in life when someone profoundly touches our lives. This is exactly what happened to me when I met a young fellow on-line and became fast friends. It was a love of baseball and collecting that drew us together, and life that made it all come crashing down. My friend lives 838 miles away and although we have never met and probably never will, I'll never forget him and the hours spent chatting and trading our baseball cards. It was this friendship that produced my favorite card, not an earth shattering, once in a lifetime, impossible card but it is by far my favorite. It's a 2004 Sweet spot classic Ted Radcliffe autograph.

My friend and I spent hours online chatting and helping each other find those elusive cards that each of us needed for our collections. This is how eventually he came across this Sweet Spot and gave it to me. No special occasion, it was because I wanted one. Ted "Double duty" Radcliffe was a special player. He pitched and played catcher for more than 30 teams. He won over 500 games and 4,000 strike outs, added to his 4,000 plus hits and 400 homeruns. He became a manager and later in life became an ambassador for the game. At 103 years old he was thought to be the oldest living negro league player. He pass to the field of dreams on August 11 ,2005. I just had to own a piece of that history. My buddy called me one day and told me he was sending something to me and the Radcliffe arrived a few days later. I was thrilled beyond belief.

Personally, my collection boasts over 100 priceless cards, many more valued much higher, but no card can replace the feelings that this one brings. It is displayed prominently on the front page of my photobucket so I can show it off to everyone that happens by and for my own personal healing. Every time I open my bucket I remember a friend that is no longer in my life, the fond memories of countless hours spent together on-line and on the phone, and most importantly a friendship that is sorely missed. Life dealt my buddy a bad hand and has since put his collection on hold but after a few years of searching another friend was able to track him down and I have contacted him. Funny how life can change so quickly.

I love collecting, even more I love trading, (you know, finding just the right deal that adds that illusive card to your collection) but I Believe without doubt that I have a card that is absolutely untouchable, One that I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China. Furthermore I have a card that I truly believe has as much if not more meaning than any one else on earth. I can't imagine a baseball card worth more to someone than a piece of wonderful memory. Not just a moment in time, but an era that can't be recaptured.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A Card With Memories

By Robert Shirley aka champ1985

We consider ourselves lucky in life when someone profoundly touches our lives. This is exactly what happened to me when I met a young fellow online and became fast friends with him. It was a love of baseball and collecting that drew us together and life that made it all come crashing down. My friend lives 838 miles away and although we have never met, and probably never will, I'll never forget him and the hours spent chatting and trading our baseball cards. It was this friendship that produced my favorite card. It is not an earth shattering, once in a lifetime, impossible to find card but it is by far my favorite. It's a 2004 Sweet spot classic Ted Radcliffe autograph.

My friend and I spent hours online chatting and helping each other find those elusive cards that each of us needed for our collections. This is how eventually he came across this Sweet Spot and gave it to me for no special occasion. It was only because I wanted one. Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe was a special player. He pitched and played catcher for more than 30 teams. He won over 500 games and had 4,000 strike outs added to his 4,000 plus hits and 400 homeruns. He became a manager and later in life became an ambassador for the game. At 103 years old he was thought to be the oldest living Negro league player. He passed to the field of dreams on August 11, 2005. I just had to own a piece of that history. My buddy called me one day and told me he was sending something to me and the Radcliffe arrived a few days later. I was thrilled beyond belief.

Personally, my collection boasts over 100 priceless cards, many more valued much higher, but no card can replace the feelings that this one brings. It is displayed prominently on the front page of my Photobucket so I can show it off to everyone that happens by and for my own personal healing. Every time I open my bucket I remember a friend that is no longer in my life, the fond memories of countless hours spent together online and on the phone and, most importantly, a friendship that is sorely missed. Life dealt my buddy a bad hand and has since put his collection on hold but after a few years of searching another friend was able to track him down and I have contacted him. It is funny how life can change so quickly.

I love collecting even more I love trading, (you know how it is finding just the right deal that adds that illusive card to your collection) but I believe without doubt that I have a card that is absolutely untouchable. It is one that I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China. Furthermore I have a card that I truly believe has as much, if not more, meaning than anyone else on earth. I can't imagine a baseball card worth more to someone than a piece of wonderful memory. Not just a moment in time, but an era that can't be recaptured.