Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

An athlete and his desires....Brett Favre

My name is Carl Wilson and my SCF user name is jeeptrader.

First, I would like to state that I may be biased in this article I am submitting because of being a passionate Green Bay Packer fan. However, with my background in athletics I have a strong opinion on what Brett Favre is going through.
    I have been an athlete for most of my 48 years on this earth. Whether it be baseball, football, track, golf, softball, or bowling I have been fortunate enough to have excelled at these sports. When the time came to ending my career at some of these events, I had a very, very hard time with not being able to compete. Although not at the same level as Brett Favre......my desire to play the game has never faded! I feel that Brett has those same feelings and desires! When the time of year rolls around for the sport to take place, the reminders keep arising on what you would normally be doing at that time of year. The crispness in the air, the media build ups, and numerous other flasbacks bring your gut back to wanting to do it all again! Struggling to accept that you can no longer compete at the level you are used to can be very frustrating. I strongly believe that Brett felt he was through. His body has told him a few times that enough is enough. Again, the mind will relay a different message when it is time to strap it up again! I can do this again, but do I want to? Will my body hold up to the pounding? Is it worth possibly injuring myself possibly for life? Where does my family fit into these desires? It all boils down to the love of the game. Anyone who has watched Brett Favre play the game, knows that #4 does love to play football!
    While I'm not saying that I should be compared to Favre.. I am saying that the drive and desire never goes away. Never! Brett Favre has accomplished many high achievements both personal and on a team level. Some of these highlights may never be accomplished again! I am also not saying that I agree with some of the decisions or delays in decisions he has made are correct, but I do believe that he truly still has that desire to play the game that he loves!
    Has he earned the right to change his mind? Yes, we all have that right as Americans. Has Brett gone about it the wrong way? That is an opinion that will be discussed for many years to come. He has cried, recanted his statements, strung teams along, asked for longer contracts, and frustrated many fans and non fans alike. But any athlete that loves what he/she is doing will always strive to be the best he/she can be and will continue to have that desire for as long as they live! That is what drives the mind!
    As far as Brett's affect on the sports card hobby, it is as dramatic as can be. His durability, ability, and enthusiasm has brought many younsters to card collecting. Favre jerseys have been worn by young fans everywhere for some time now! More and more youths are seen at the trade shows and many ask for Favre cards!
    Look at the trading boards.....there are numerous threads about wanting Brett Favre cards. Topps even introduced an insert set and chrome set of Farve's touchdown passes in 2007. This set continued on through 2008 as well! Three different colored refractors of each of his TD passes are also available! His authentic autographed cards are also on the elite level of sportscard collections. If you were to type in the search of Ebay, Brett Favre football cards, you will find over 1500 different auctions occuring.
    Even Favre changing teams changed the hobby a bit. Many New York Jet fans began hoarding Brett's cards. More fan base, more card collectors too! Minnesota has yet to be determined, but this would bring even more collectors chasing his trading cards! Whether you like him or dislike him, if you pull a Brett Favre autographed card that is authentic, you are ecstatic!

Thanks for reading!

Carl ......aka....jeeptrader
    Last edited by jeeptrader; 07-26-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: edited for substance

SCF Rewards
    Country

An Athlete and His Desires- Brett Favre

By Carl Wilson aka jeeptrader

First I would like to state that I might be biased in this article because of being a passionate Green Bay Packer fan. However, with my background in athletics, I have a strong opinion on what Brett Favre is going through.

I have been an athlete for most of my 48 years on this earth. Whether it be baseball, football, track, golf, softball or bowling I have been fortunate enough to have excelled at these sports. When the time came to ending my career at some of these events I had a very hard time with not being able to compete, although not at the same level as Brett Favre, but my desire to play the game has never faded! I feel that Brett has those same feelings and desires. When the time of year rolls around for the sport to take place the reminders keep arising on what you would normally be doing at that time of year. The crispness in the air, the media build-ups and numerous other flashbacks bring your gut back to wanting to do it all again. Struggling to accept that you can no longer compete at the level you are used to can be very frustrating. I strongly believe that Brett felt he was through. His body has told him a few times that enough is enough. Again, the mind will relay a different message when it is time to strap it up again. I can do this again but do I want to? Will my body hold up to the pounding? Is it worth possibly injuring myself possibly for life? Where does my family fit into these desires? It all boils down to the love of the game. Anyone who has watched Brett Favre play the game knows that #4 does love to play football.

While I'm not saying that I should be compared to Favre I am saying that the drive and desire never goes away. Brett Favre has accomplished many high achievements, both personal and on a team level. Some of these highlights may never be accomplished again. I am also not saying that I agree with some of the decisions or delays in decisions he has made are correct but I do believe that he truly still has that desire to play the game that he loves.

Has he earned the right to change his mind? Yes because we all have that right as Americans. Has Brett gone about it the wrong way? That is an opinion that will be discussed for many years to come. He has cried, recanted his statements, strung teams along, asked for longer contracts and frustrated many fans and non fans alike. But any athlete that loves what he/she is doing will always strive to be the best he/she can be and will continue to have that desire for as long as they live! That is what drives the mind.

As far as Brett's effect on the sports card hobby it is as dramatic as can be. His durability, ability and enthusiasm have brought many young people to card collecting. Young fans have worn Favre jerseys everywhere for some time now and more and more youths are seen at the trade shows asking for Favre cards!

Look at the trading boards such as Sports Card Forum. There are numerous threads about wanting Brett Favre cards. Topps even introduced an insert set and chrome set of Favre’s touchdown passes in 2007. This set continued on through 2008 as well! Three different colored refractors of each of his TD passes are also available! His authentic autographed cards are also on the elite level of sports card collections. If you were to search Brett Favre football cards on eBay you will find over 1500 different auctions in progress.

Even Favre changing teams changed the hobby a bit. Many New York Jet fans began hoarding Brett's cards. More fan base members led to more card collectors too. Minnesota has yet to be determined but this would bring even more collectors chasing his trading cards. Whether you like him or dislike him, if you pull an authentic Brett Favre autographed card, you are ecstatic!

Thanks for reading!