Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Behind The Scenes

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Behind The Scenes

Writing Team Trial 3/5

By Kyle Hymel aka FootballCardFreak

Ever wonder why busting wax is so expensive nowadays, and when you bust the wax you get 3 autos of backups and no autos of any decent players? Now most of you will be quick to blame the sports card companies, but I think there is an underlying problem: the greed of some players.

Most collectors don't know just how much some players are asking for their auto. Ever wonder why Emmitt Smith autos are few and far between? Even though Emmitt Smith is a fairly recent player, his autos aren't in many products because he charges so much to sign his autograph. I have heard that he charges anywhere from 150-225 dollars just for his signature. Ok...ok...Emmitt Smith is just one player, and he is a retired future hall of famer. What about current players? Even current players like Matt Ryan, Reggie Bush, and Tom Brady charge around 150 dollars for their autos as well.

Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story. Even the lesser-known rookies charge as much as 25-30 dollars for their autograph. So next time you pull the auto of a 6th round player, just remember his auto cost Donruss 25 dollars to acquire.

It is this lack of knowledge that leads to collectors feeling ripped off by companies when they do not get at least somewhat of a return on their investment. I'm not saying that this attitude isn't justified, because I think it is; I'm saying that it is not only the fault of the companies.

Because some star players charge so much for their autos, the cost of boxes rise as well as the number of nobody players that you pull from your hundred dollar box. I'm not saying that all players are like this because some players charge very little for their autos, but every year it seems like more and more money grabbing players come into the league expecting everything to be their way or no way.

So unless a major change is in store, don't expect either the prices to go down or you to suddenly start pulling great player's autos left and right. The fact of the matter is that we have allowed the player's to control the market.

There is one possible solution: take autos out of wax. See, just the thought of that made you gasp didn't it? We will pay whatever the price is although some collectors have stopped busting wax in favor of just buying their singles because they don't want to get ripped off anymore.

One of the major questions posed when talking about our beloved hobby of sports card collecting is whether or not there is a future in our hobby. As long as there are collectors who love the game there will always be a place for this hobby. The question is not whether or not the hobby will still be here, it is what will the hobby be like. If we keep buying wax and blaming the companies for our loses we will not get anywhere because it all stems from players wanting too much money for their autos. What will we do about it? To start, we can inform collectors of the real cause of our costly wax.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See atomant989's Items on eBay

excellent article. good point u brought up.

the greed of consumers is also another big reason that i believe wax is so expensive. to control the quantity that one consumer can buy, card companies must make their prices high in order to avoid a mass quantity of there cards falling into a small group of people. for example if sp authentic was a $1.00 a pack everyone would buy double or triple of what they would buy now. making it difficult to spread the packs among everyone

Blog Entries
    Country
    See sportsmem918's Items on eBay

Great article

Once of the best entries I've seen easily

I didn't realize that players charged that much but now that you mention it, it makes sense

That's how much Emmit Smith charges for a normal autos so why would he discount the card companies?

Because he doesn't care because he will be just as popular regardless.

Plus if they charge a lot than it becomes more rare because card companies don't buy it. If it's more rare, they can charge more for it

It did make me gasp when you said getting rid of autos lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

Behind the Scenes

By Kyle Hymel aka FootballCardFreak

Ever wonder why busting wax is so expensive nowadays even when you bust the wax you get three autos of backups and no autos of any decent players? Most of you will be quick to blame the sports card companies but I think there is an underlying problem: the greed of some players.

Most collectors don't know just how much some players are asking for their auto. Ever wonder why Emmitt Smith autos are few and far between? Even though Emmitt Smith is a fairly recent player his autos aren't in many products because he charges so much to sign his autograph. I have heard that he charges anywhere from 150-225 dollars just for his signature. Yes Emmitt Smith is just one player, but he is a retired future Hall of Famer. What about current players? Even current players like Matt Ryan, Reggie Bush and Tom Brady charge around 150 dollars for their autos as well.

Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story. Even the lesser-known rookies charge as much as 25-30 dollars for their autograph. The next time you pull the auto of a sixth round player just remember his auto cost Donruss 25 dollars to acquire.

It is this lack of knowledge that leads to collectors feeling ripped off by companies when they do not get at least somewhat of a return on their investment. I'm not saying that this attitude isn't justified because I think it is. I'm saying that it is not only the fault of the companies. Because some star players charge so much for their autos the cost of boxes are raised as well as the number of nobody players that you pull from your hundred dollar box. I'm not saying that all players are like this because some players charge very little for their autos but every year it seems like more and more money-grabbing players come into the league expecting everything to be their way or no way.

Unless a major change is in store don't expect either the prices to go down or you to suddenly start pulling great player's autos left and right. The fact of the matter is that we have allowed the players to control the market. There is one possible solution. It would be a long shot but taking the autos out of wax would solve the problem. We will pay whatever the price is although some collectors have stopped busting wax in favor of just buying their singles because they don't want to get ripped off anymore.

One of the major questions posed when talking about our beloved hobby of sports card collecting is whether or not there is a future in our hobby. As long as there are collectors who love the game there will always be a place for this hobby. The question is not whether or not the hobby will still be here. It is instead what will the hobby be like. If we keep buying wax and blaming the companies for our loses we will not get anywhere because it all stems from players wanting too much money for their autos. What will we do about it? To start we can inform collectors of the real cause of our costly wax.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I personally don't have a problem with players like Emmitt charging so much for their Autograph. I wouldn't say it's greed. They are just protecting their best interests. I think its in the collectors best interest also. Players know, the more they sign the less their autograph will be worth. If Emmitt was signing several products per year, over a span of 10 years or so there will be tons of Emmitt Autographs to choose from. The more choice and quantity available to the collector, the less valuable it becomes. If you have a nice Emmitt Auto today Congratulations! You have a Super Nice Card thanks to Emmitt not signing everything thrown in front of him.
    The Greed you are speaking of comes from the Collector, not the Athlete.

SCF Rewards
    Country

if you try getting emmitt smiths autograph ttm he sends an autograph for free
    but you're right i think he charges for signing stuff you send

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

He charges a whole lot to sign in person.

if you try getting emmitt smiths autograph ttm he sends an autograph for free
    but you're right i think he charges for signing stuff you send

SCF Rewards
    Country

Behind The Scenes

Another "celebrity" workout that, well, the celebrity didnt really do, because this is a hypothetical workout. Im not saying that this article has no value. Its quite a program. But if Mr. Bale didnt actually do it, why call it a "Dark Knight Workout"?