Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See eliza-mcb's Items on eBay

Exclamation Fake Item? eBay Scandel? Cute Kittens?

Ok boys and girls,

so I asked a seller on eBay about an item I'm interested in purchasing. It is an autographed jersey with a COA from a company called GAI. I asked if I could see closer pictures of the COA just to make sure it was legit.

His reply was simply "no". Should I be worried this item is fake? I don't want to pester the seller in any way because the item doesn't have any bids right now so he could easily take it down, and like I said above I NEED this item.

Maybe he's worried I'm trying to forge a COA like it.

Is GAI typically good COA company?

The seller has 4100+ Feedback 99.8% being positive.

What do you guys and gals think? I don't want to post a link, because I don't want to draw more people to the auction.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by HIJACK12; 08-04-2009 at 03:02 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

personally I would want to see it. nothin against the seller, I like to know its real. especially with the stuff some people try to sell on the bay these days

SCF Rewards
    Country

FAKE if the price is too good to be true its a FAKE i would not buy it

Country
    See leeara123's Items on eBay

GAI is one of those cheap grading companies that seem to grade anything no matter what a 10! You'll find plenty of those cards in boxes at walmart, kmart target. never seen a GAI graded card less than a 9

SCF Rewards
    Country

maybe its not fake but maybe not in good shape lol never heard of that company before thanks for the advice bondsaway

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jro1310's Items on eBay

A C.O.A. is only as good as the dealer you buy it from. I wouldn't buy it unless it was checked by a legit grading service.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See RFulch40's Items on eBay

GAI is a pretty good company for authenticating. They were the only company to authenticate items at the National in Chicago in 2006, give or take a year. He is right about grading cards, they aren't great for that. But all you would need is a GAI number and you should be able to look that up online. If the seller gives you that and it matches, I would buy it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would say GAI is in the top 3 in authenticating autographs in the country. Everyone has their own ideas and opinions of whose best, some people hate GAI, but overall GAI is more well known and respected than almost all except PSA. Now with that said, just cause a top company authenticates it doesnt mean it's real.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nextspeed's Items on eBay

GAI have been grading cards and authenticating autographs for a while. I'd rate them a notch below JSA and PSA/DNA. But they are a reputable authentication service with a tracking number system so you could look up the item. Then again, fakes have passed even PSA/DNA, so just go ahead with your instincts on some items.

SCF Rewards
    Country

GAI have been grading cards and authenticating autographs for a while. I'd rate them a notch below JSA and PSA/DNA. But they are a reputable authentication service with a tracking number system so you could look up the item. Then again, fakes have passed even PSA/DNA, so just go ahead with your instincts on some items.

I agree the post above 100%. I prefer to buy items that are authenticated by PSA/DNA or JSA, but GAI is a reputable authentication company and is well known in the hobby. They have recently gone through bankruptcy, but they are still in business and are getting back on track.

I would however ask for the COA number and then verify it on GAI's website. If the seller won't give you the cert number, then I would stay away from that auction.

Lastly, if the item is a high dollar item, I would suggest buying one that comes with authentication from one of the major memorabilia companies (Upper Deck, Mounted Memories, Steiner, GTSM, Schwartz, Tri-Star, etc). These companies actually witness the signatures (in most cases) on the items, whereas PSA, JSA, and GAI are merely giving you their professional opinion on the signature.
    Last edited by Vegas; 08-04-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast