Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

thanks for all the comments guys...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

My Pride and Joy

By Arturo Cepero aka Autocentral

One day, I remember watching the television with my father and seeing Michael Jordan play for the first time. I remember asking him “Who is that you are watching?” he said to me “Only the greatest player in basketball history”. I was only five years old at the time but I remember the moment vividly. Since that moment with my dad Michael Jordan has been my favorite player and would watch him every time they put a game on TV.

On my seventh birthday, my father gave me five cards of Michael Jordan with a jersey of him. It was to me one of the best birthdays ever, because it opened me to the hobby of collecting cards. Since that day I have been collecting cards and more importantly Michael Jordan cards. By age ten I had over 120 Jordan cards, but not his Fleer 1986-1987 Rookie Card. The next year I went to a card show in Tampa with my brother and saw a vendor selling a Michael Jordan rookie card, I asked the vendor how much he was selling the card for and he told me “200 dollars”. I was only a kid, I didn’t have that kind of money, but that day I vowed that in the future I would own that card.

Since that day at the card show I saved every penny I got for the Jordan Rookie. I did everything I could; wash cars, do dishes and wash clothes to earn my weekly five dollars from my parents. By the time I had enough money to buy the card, it had jumped in value and was selling at 350 dollars. So I continued doing the same thing to earn the extra money. Finally by age 13 I had enough money and more to buy the card. It took two years of saving but finally I had enough money to buy the card.

Three days after I found out I had enough money, I went to my local card shop. The card shop owner was one of my dad’s closest friends and had one of the best vintage collections of football and basketball I have seen ever. He had around five Fleer 1986-1987 Jordan Rookie for sale. I bought my Jordan Rookie from him for 335 dollars, and in my opinion, it was the best purchase I ever made. Everyday I would kiss my card in the morning and at night before bed. I would carry the card everywhere with me. It would never leave my sight, no matter where I went.

When I turned 15, having had the card for over two years, I learned that you could grade cards. I sent my card to be graded and it received a PSA 9, which I was very happy with, but I thought I had a perfect gem at the time. By age 16 the card had doubled in value, a PSA 9 was very hard to come across at the time. I’m currently 19 years of age and I got the best news of my life a couple of months ago. I sent my card to be regarded by PSA and it received a PSA 10. It is and has always been my favorite card. I believe this card will never leave my possession, even if I’m in debt. I think that is what collecting is all about being able to get the card you want no matter how good or bad it is. If you put your mind to anything you can achieve it. That is why I love this hobby and this is my story of my favorite card, the Michael Jordan Fleer 1986-1987 Card #57 Rookie, which is my pride and joy and has been for over six years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12