Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mw83krk's Items on eBay

I placed a small stack of cards in top loaders on the edge of our coffee table. Along came our Cairn Terrier pup and happened to show some interest in the hobby, grabbing a Mark Messier auto... I ended up with a Messier auto with doggie teeth marks.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I placed a small stack of cards in top loaders on the edge of our coffee table. Along came our Cairn Terrier pup and happened to show some interest in the hobby, grabbing a Mark Messier auto... I ended up with a Messier auto with doggie teeth marks.

How did you get a Mark Messier auto? I remember when he played for Vancouver he would not sign anything. But those were some of the worse years in Canucks history as they missed the playoffs for 4-5 years so most people probably didn't want his auto anyway.
    Last edited by skgord; 12-15-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correction
    Looking for Wayne Gretzky base/inserts that I don't have.

Looking for Vancouver Canuck base/inserts that I don't have.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (91)
    Country

This was about 2 years ago...

I bought a few packs of 09-10 S2 and got the hockey heroes header card...I didn't know it was worth a ton and I traded it back to the owner for another pack and all I got out of the pack was a Kulikov Victory rookie. Pretty bummed about it looking back. Now I keep my good pulls and trade them when I get home.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

When I got back into collecting, i used cisor to open one time on one pack of Upper deck S1 and one card was higher then all other. So when I started to cut the pack open, I felt a card under the cisor. so I stop and opened the pack manually. The card was not cut but ended up with a mark left by the cisor. Of all card, it had to be a Patrick Kane YG...

I never used cisor again as you must imagine LOL

I still have the card that I keep in my PC so I don't end up forgetting and trade it. If someone wants a cheap P.Kane YG send me a PM LOL
    Last edited by CoolHandLuke; 12-17-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cti4sw's Items on eBay

I had a case hit on a box of 10-11 SPX - a Taylor Hall High Gloss #4/10 (his jersey #). Some guy who was in the store offered me $400 cash for it on the spot. I took it. Shoulda held onto it, given how much his stuff goes for on eBay...

Another OMG! ™™™! moment was when I first got back into card collecting a couple years ago. I'd had a 97-98 Fleer Ultra Court Masters Michael Jordan card, SSSSSP, that I needed to sell. Should have done a lil more research on it than checking completed listings, cuz I might have gotten more than $199 for it.

Never again will I crack hobby boxes inside the store...

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

This was about 2 years ago...

I bought a few packs of 09-10 S2 and got the hockey heroes header card...I didn't know it was worth a ton and I traded it back to the owner for another pack and all I got out of the pack was a Kulikov Victory rookie. Pretty bummed about it looking back. Now I keep my good pulls and trade them when I get home.

That kinda sucks, though not as much as the Toews YG story above.

It reminds me of less a "why did I do that" and more of a "that really sucked"

When I started collecting again a couple years ago, I was looking for Brodeur cards. Partly because he's one of two goalies who backstopped Canada to Olympic Gold in my lifetime, partly because I have a major amount of respect for guys who stay with 1 club for an entire career, especially when they're good enough to have their pick of teams at UFA time, partly because I just like him as a player and partly because I started opening 09-10 Series 1 right away and wanted to complete the Brodeur Heroes set.

I had pulled all the "base" cards and had traded for the painting card, but I didn't have the header. I had located 1 on Ebay and, lo and behold, it was ending during the Canada/US Olympic Gold Medal game. After the first period, my dad and I went into the computer room. 5 minutes left, sitting with no bids at $4.99 with free shipping. I don't remember what the going rate on them was at the time, but it sure as crap wasn't $4.99With 10 seconds left, we decide to pull the trigger.
    Enter a max bid of $10
    Click "Bid Now"
    Oh, the anticipation
    Suddenly:
    *Firefox has logged you out of your session. Please log back in and try again*

We had stayed on the screen without refreshing for too long, evidently. By the time we signed back in, the listing was over and someone had taken it for $4.99.

I like to tell myself whoever won it entered a max of $15, so I wouldn't have won it anyway, but part of me really thinks it was a five dollar bid. I will never forget that feeling as I read the firefox page.

Incidentally, I still haven't obtained a header card, and I don't have any immediate plans to do so, unless someone wants to trade me one for the 90-91 Brett Hull Header, but I don't see that happening.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stephen.vorel's Items on eBay

I let a Jamie Benn Ice /99 go for $30 when they one sold for about $130-$150 on ebay.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not hockey, but in 2001 I pulled a Joe Montana porcelein autograph from toys r us out of a guaranteed auto/game used packet from vintage. I thought i had taken it out of the package (several hours later), but i must not have, and i threw it away thinking the package was empty (these were fairly large packages and you wouldnt notice the weight difference.) Luckily, I pulled another Montana Porcelein autograph a few days later, so that helped ease the pain, but still a really dumb mistake.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See GSRfan's Items on eBay

Not really a big deal in terms of card value wise (I think) but my brother pulled a Sakic GU from a pack of Honour Roll in the early 2000s. He stuck his cards in his pockets to take them to school to trade and you know, laundry happens and all his cards ended up in the washer and totally drowned.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I don't know where he got the idea (maybe from me, oh why did he listen to me? we were both young and stupid I guess) to take a pair of scissors and try to do a little surgery on the card to make the edges "nicer". Pretty sure the card was thrown out after that little experiment.

*bangs head on wall*

edit: Yesterday, I pulled a YG. Today, I can't find it. Where the heck did I put it?!?!
    Last edited by the_nange; 12-22-2011 at 12:39 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Jaso1199's Items on eBay

Heres my story. Not something i did, but something i found:

So the other day my dad went down to his hometown (Simcoe ON) to meet up with some of his high school buddies. His one friend knew that I was into cards, so he sent me a box of his old 69-70 OPC cards to price out and try to sell for him. He has a lot of the big cards (Gordie Howe All-Star, Gordie Howe NNO, Esposito RC, Checklist 2) but of course they are all damaged and dinged from him playing with them when he was younger. I was looking through the pile and came across this nice Brent Hughes:

Now im not quite sure what Brent Hughes ever did to my family friend, but whatever it was, it was deserving of a new goatee and a Hitler mustache, as well as a nice thick uni-brow. (He is a Canadiens fan, so if anybody has any info for my let me know).

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast