Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

"I don't think you can compare the treatment of African Americans and Native Americans. Native Americans suffered far worse treatment at the hands of the gov't and U.S. citizens. The U.S. gov't is responsible and the source of their problems. I believe the country owes them b/c of this."

Kinda off topic, but what does that say about the democratic party? Do they really care so much about "oppressed Minorities" or just the ones they can manipulate into voting for their liberal agenda?

I'll applaud any party that tries to work w/ or compensate the Native Americans.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dhudson3417's Items on eBay

Too be honest I'm not concerned w/ what the gov't provides to Native Americans since the American Gov't. is responsible for destroying their culture, killing their people, and stealing their land. What the U.S. and Coloniol goverments did to Native Americans was atrocious and consisted of some of the most reprehensible acts against a group of people.

Very dangerous line of thought.

None of us were involved in any of the above. If you choose to try to "right the wrongs" in history, descendants of slaves, Jews, women, the Irish, Indians, Scottish, Mexicans, South Africans, handicapped, gays, and more all deserve reparations for the injustices that were dealt to them.

-The US owes money to slaves.
    -The Nazis owe money to Jews and the handicapped.
    -New Englanders owe money to Irish immigrants.
    -England owes money to the Scottish, Indians, and South Africans.
    -Everyone owes money to the gays and women.
    -Not to mention how much money Iraq and Russia (USSR) owe to their own citizens for murdering them.

-Also, the Roman Empire owes money to all Christians for slaughtering them in the Colosseum.

If you say that the American Indian lost its land to major atrocities, no one will dispute. But if that's your justification for reparations, Governments of the world better get out their checkbooks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See g1ebe's Items on eBay

indian tribes around here are lame, they don't do any work, when there cars stop working they leave them on there lawn. sorry for all the native americans here but you guys get money for nothing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very dangerous line of thought.

None of us were involved in any of the above. If you choose to try to "right the wrongs" in history, descendants of slaves, Jews, women, the Irish, Indians, Scottish, Mexicans, South Africans, handicapped, gays, and more all deserve reparations for the injustices that were dealt to them.

-The US owes money to slaves.
    -The Nazis owe money to Jews and the handicapped.
    -New Englanders owe money to Irish immigrants.
    -England owes money to the Scottish, Indians, and South Africans.
    -Everyone owes money to the gays and women.
    -Not to mention how much money Iraq and Russia (USSR) owe to their own citizens for murdering them.

-Also, the Roman Empire owes money to all Christians for slaughtering them in the Colosseum.

If you say that the American Indian lost its land to major atrocities, no one will dispute. But if that's your justification for reparations, Governments of the world better get out their checkbooks.

I get what you are saying but IMO what the gov't is directly responsible for how tribes have faired and should take steps to address this. While the U.S. gov't approved of slavery they weren't the ones bringing slaves over and the gov't did not directly own slaves.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I get what you are saying but IMO what the gov't is directly responsible for how tribes have faired and should take steps to address this. While the U.S. gov't approved of slavery they weren't the ones bringing slaves over and the gov't did not directly own slaves.

That explanation applies to most of the examples I gave. Do you think they should all have to pay reparations as well?

SCF Rewards
    Country

That explanation applies to most of the examples I gave. Do you think they should all have to pay reparations as well?

I'm going to stick w/ this debate since Native Americans are the topic of the thread.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to stick w/ this debate since Native Americans are the topic of the thread.

So you accept defeat of your illogical view on this, then?

SCF Rewards
    Country

So you accept defeat of your illogical view on this, then?

No, you want me to apply a generalization to specific historical events that occured w/in their own context. In cases where the gov't is directly responsible for the harsh treatment of a group of people, as w/ the Native Americans, resititution should be owed.

Country

I do not think that the Indians (feather not dot) should be given anymore federal aid or what amounts to reparations, than they have already been given by the government. Those dues have long been paid, just as they have with certain other so called minority groups....

It happened long ago
    In the new magic land
    The Indian and the buffalo
    Existed hand in hand
    The Indian needed food
    They needed skins for a roof
    They only took what they needed baby
    Millions of buffalo were the proof
    Then along came the white man
    With his thick and empty head
    They couldn't see past the billfold
    Till all the buffalo were dead
    -Ted Nugent-

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do not think that the Indians (feather not dot) should be given anymore federal aid or what amounts to reparations, than they have already been given by the government. Those dues have long been paid, just as they have with certain other so called minority groups....

It happened long ago
    In the new magic land
    The Indian and the buffalo
    Existed hand in hand
    The Indian needed food
    They needed skins for a roof
    They only took what they needed baby
    Millions of buffalo were the proof
    Then along came the white man
    With his thick and empty head
    They couldn't see past the billfold
    Till all the buffalo were dead
    -Ted Nugent-

Sorry man I have to disagree, the U.S. gov't committed genocide and some how the U.S. gov't has never really accepted responsibility for this. IMO the least they can do is provide continued restitution to try and improve the lives of people whose ancestors suffered. We look down on what Hitler and Nazi Germany did but the American Gov't was far worse.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast