PDA

View Full Version : Question about a shaq jersey card

kurt420cobain
03-07-2005, 11:57 PM
My friend recently pulled a Shaq game used jersey card out of a 2003/04 topps rookie matrix pack. The card is of Shaq as a Laker of course but for some reason the piece of jersey is red. Does anyone know why there would be a red jersey card for Shaq from before he was with the heat. I don't recall the Lakers or the Magic ever having any red in their jerseys. Any opinions on this card would be appreciated.

GarMart
03-08-2005, 12:00 AM
It could be from an allstar game. I have a Edgar Martinez GU Red JSY card, of course the M's don't have red in thier uni's. It had to have came from a Allstar Game.

kurt420cobain
03-08-2005, 12:08 AM
would it say on the card that it came from an all star game? I thought about that but figured it would say if it was from that since it would be a less common jersey card.

theman7
03-08-2005, 12:19 AM
i had the same thing. i called their company and they said its from a regular season game. i was clueless. its a cool card tho.

bl bassist
03-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Sometimes Major stars like shaq get paid by card companies to where jerseys. Those jerseys are not always the same as they where in a game they could be from a player you have never heard of. The saddest thing is that to be called "game-used" they just have to put the jersey on and run around for a couple minuets.

WilyWestbrook0
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
The whole thing about Shaq wearing a red jersey sounds fishy. I know what bl_bassist is getting at - what is really the big deal over a player wearing a uniform for maybe a few minutes? All that means is it was on his sweaty body for a short while before being cut up into lots of tiny parts and stuck on pieces of cardboard.

It would be different if it was a full jersey worn in, say, a championship game - that could be displayed nicely and would have significant time value. But in instances like the red jersey piece above, it's just a tiny little cut-up shred of cloth worn by Shaq who-knows-when and for-how-long. Think of how far this can be taken - if Shaq sneezes on a card of his and I capture it on camera, can I get more for it by calling it an official Shaq snot-blown card? How about collecting a string that fell from Shaq's suit? Hey, if Steve Francis' tooth can sell for money on eBay, something like that may not be as far-fetched as it sounds.

kurt420cobain
03-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Thanks for everyones input. I traded some of my doubles for that card tonight to add to my collection. :new_black

tutall
03-09-2005, 01:37 AM
well actually.. you are wrong about one peice.. the idea of jerseys made and ran around in for a while was actually captured in i believe OTL nightly a while ago. If that is the case it will say on the back of the card that it is "event worn"... most of them however say they were worn in an "official NBA game" and they have to be used in one or it is basically false advertisement

Mavfan41
03-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I had a dirk jsy from the same set w\ the tip of a Mavs logo on it. I am about 99% positive ite from the 02-03 All Star game.