PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck

stevcha
03-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi guys! If you could buy any 2004-05 Upper Deck Basketball Box/Case which one would you get and why?

Deadshot
03-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Trilogy seems to be a hot product right now, and SPX was hot not too long ago. Personally, I would go for Trilogy (but it is expensive). I really like the parallels, Autofocus cards, and GU swatches #/50 (some being jerseys of legends like Bill Russell).

Gooner_Singe
03-27-2005, 02:49 AM
Trilogy for sure, only factor against it is its high price, the glass cards look great. Just brought me a Shawn Marion Auto focus...

why UD? it seems everyone looking to buy a box on here is looking to buy UD products?

WilyWestbrook0
03-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Someone posted elsewhere how Upper Deck dominates the basketball hobby; it's just the way it's become the last few years. First they have MJ, and now LeBron.

That being said, I am not really into many of their sets this season. Some high end product has been mentioned, but if I had to pick, I still like their good-old regular set. It always has a lot of variety without being really expensive. Black Diamond is another one.

Gooner_Singe
03-27-2005, 05:26 AM
When i was a kid Upper Deck was all i collected, but these days looking around i see so much more bang for your buck if you like in other brands of boxes, particularly Fleer products... Personally im not in the hunt for a LeBron auto... Id never pass one up ofcrouse, im not sure about this exclusive signing of particular players to certain brands. Theres some great looking UD products, but there so expensive..

stevcha
03-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I recently got back into card collecting and decided to pick up some basketball and football boxes. Let me know what you guys think of some of my basketball pickups:

1 Box 2003 Basketball Bowman Rookies & Stars
2 Boxes 2003 Basketball Topps Chrome
2 Boxes 2003 Basketball Topps Pristine
2 Boxes 2003 Basketball Topps 1st Edition
1 Box 2003 Basketball UD SP Authentic
2 Boxes 2004 Basketball UD Trilogy

I still have to wait cause everything is on order and being shipped. I can't wait to break into some of these. Of the boxes I picked up which would you guys open and which would you keep sealed?

Gooner_Singe
03-27-2005, 11:37 AM
You recently got back into collecting and you ONLY order that? haha damn man! thats alot of cards....

I dont really understand why you would want to keep a box/boxes sealed?

stevcha
03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Gooner,

I figured if I was gonna get back into it I would go full throttle, lol. I wanted to possibly keep some of the boxes sealed just for an investment or to give to my kids when I have them.

Deadshot
03-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Upper Deck is the only brand to go to if you want to pull a big name auto like MJ, Kobe, KG, Dr. J, etc (but this doesn't persuade my buying as I realize I have no shot). As far as keeping boxes sealed, you might as well open them. If you truly did get a major pull in one of the boxes, you want to sell it while it is hot to maximize your profit (if you are buying as an investment).

Gooner_Singe
03-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Im guessing the 2003 boxes are 2003/04 season boxes, if thats what they are they could be expensive in the future if LeBron can live upto everyones extremely high expectations..? Last seasons boxes are already more expensive that this years..

Opening, Trilogy is very popular on Ebay, theres ALOT of that stuff on ebay right now, seems a hot product still. Myself id open up those, probably id open everything and leave a box of each you got more than 1 of, Its really upto you tho... Are you looking for anything in particular?

stevcha
03-27-2005, 12:37 PM
My thinking was to open up the boxes that I have doubles of. That's a good point about selling the hot pulls while they're hot. Since I'm new to the basketball card arena I figured I would start by collecting Lebron James since I perosnally think he will live up to the hype. I also wanted to collect T Mac, Amare Stoudemire, and MJ. I guess I didn't realize how hot the Trilogy's were. I only picked them up because they were recently released.

Gooner_Singe
03-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Trilogy cards look great, Do you or anyone know the odds for pulling GU's/Autos per box for Trilogy boxes?

Glad to see you are collecting players who arent highly sort after :)

stevcha
03-27-2005, 03:38 PM
I figured I would make it a challenge, lol. I pulled this from the site I ordered the trilogy boxes from:

Each box will contain THREE Rookie cards, THREE Memorabilia cards, and THREE Autograph cards.