PDA

View Full Version : Oh My God!! Michael Jordan Rookie What A Freaking Steal!!! L@@k!!

khaotic
06-10-2005, 12:31 AM
OK I know you guys hate duplicate posts, but I HAVE to post this one in the regular BSKBL forum and the trading one. Today a guy walks in my shop, he's an out-of-towner, and he's really in a pinch. He shows me these like, three cases of (supposedly) silverware made of, well, silver. I shrugged him off, wasn't really interested. He sees the stacks of cards I'm going through and asks what kind I'm interested in and I told him any and all. He pulls out a stack and says, what would you give me for a Michael Jordan rookie card that's in pristine shape. I kinda chuckled as I practically KNEW this guy was full of it, then voila, he whips out an 85-86 Fleer Michael Jordan in absolute *GEM* shape, you guys have to check this out.. I would be shocked out of my skin if it graded below a 9. In this deal, I also got a 61 Brooks Robinson and a 58 Brooks Robinson, several Jordan/Ewing/other star Inserts, a Roethlisberger Topps Chrome rookie, a ton of other goodies, and the guy wanted $350 for everything and I haggled him down to $100 for the lot. I was beside myself, this thing has not left my eyesight all day. I think I'm going to get it graded. I would be suspicious of it being fake, but, the guy knew his cards pretty well and told me some other stuff he had, and a couple other dealers assured me it was legit. Check it out. I suppose it's for sale/trade, but it's gonna take a lot guys ;)

http://www.geocities.com/corrupt_young_gotti/jordanrookie.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/corrupt_young_gotti/jordanrookieback.jpg

ky024
06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
wowzerz..Ill take it off yuors hands for 2? lol did you get the willis yet?

Deadshot
06-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Just a heads up - its 86-87. Anyway, congrats if it is real. The whole silverwear thing made it sound like this guy knows what he is doing and its a scam, but I hope you got a real rookie (there are so many fakes out there that its ridiculous).

khaotic
06-10-2005, 12:38 AM
lol i'd say you would, did you check otu the shape on that thing? it's immaculate, i still cant believe it. maybe i should put it in my safe deposit box, lol

yea i got it today, thanks

khaotic
06-10-2005, 12:39 AM
yea i meant 86-87, for some reason i typed the wrong year. well, if that was the only card he had, then i would feel the same way, but he had a bunch of other stuff, and the silver is real i'm pretty sure, im sending it to my refiner tomorrow to get paid! woot for me! wonder what i can get out of this thing..

ky024
06-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Ill post the trade...it dissapeared...confirm..and then say you got it.

dustinthompson
06-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Judging by the Fleer logo, I would say it is not authentic. I have purchased a few here and there myself, and they were all fakes. I am pretty good at spotting them now. If I were you, I would send it in to be graded before you trade or sale, this way, if it is legit, you will get more for the card, and if it is not, you will not have to go throught the hassle of refunding money/cards/and chancing some negative feedback. Not trying to be rude in any way at all, I am just speaking from personal experience. I purchased a very large collection with 3 Jordan rcs. I listed one on eBay, and I had to refund all of the money to the guy, and I was almost kicked off eBay. The thing is, in the collection, there were several rookie cards from 86-87 Fleer, but the Jordans - all fakes. Like I stated, not trying to be rude, but rather to give you a heads up if you sale or trade the card and it is not authenticated. Check online for Jordan rookie fakes, and you will find a ton of sites on how to spot a fake. That fleer logo is just not right. I would also like to see a photo of the back of the card. I HOPE ITS REAL, but I just do not think it is. Just offering help. Thank you for your time.
-Dustin Thompson

khaotic
06-10-2005, 01:28 AM
There is a photo of the back, and heh you messed up on the eBay deal.. you shouldn't gaurantee anything on there and always post your auctions as-is with no refunds. I'm going to send it off most likely, but I'm thinking it's the real deal.

khaotic
06-10-2005, 01:31 AM
And what's wrong with the logo? I've been looking at graded rookies of these and there's nothing out of place on it that I can tell.

dustinthompson
06-10-2005, 01:33 AM
I did not gaurantee it, I did sale as is, but I try to be fair and honest in all my selling and trading. The contacted me, and I offered to refund his money. He paid a lot for the card based on my feedback. I should have never listed a reproduction on eBay, and even selling as is you are breaking copyright laws and logos (Fleer logos and NBA logos) are being used without permission. Just a heads up. Here is a nice link:

http://www.beckett.com/news/index2.asp?a=3357

dustinthompson
06-10-2005, 01:39 AM
You should see a solid line around the Fleer logo and not so many pixels, which are very visible on your card. When you check the link you will see. That is just one, but there are more. The card could very well be authentic, but judging from the logo, there is no way I would say it is legit. The link to the back of the card will not show a photo for me. Email me a photo of the back of the card. Just trying to help.
-Dustin Thompson

khaotic
06-10-2005, 01:41 AM
That's an interesting article, but I think the quality of the scan is what's got you on that path, my scanner sucks. Looking at the card, I can't really notice anything they're aiming at, but I'm no PSA employee so..

dustinthompson
06-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Good Luck with it. I hope it is authetic. Keep me posted. If it is real, I would love to see it graded because it looks as if you would have a very high grade on that card. Keep in touch.
-dustin thompson

aug06
06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
I have to agree that I think it is fake as well, and here is why..I have a fake, and it looks very real except for the same thing on my card I see on your scan...if you look REALLY close on the front, look at the yellow line right above his name, the yellow line has a black stripe at the top and bottom, if you look at the black line right above the yellow you can see a printing error on the fake cards...it looks like a really light line that runs across the picture, and I can see it on yours..its hard to see, but if you look at the "white guys" arm, you can see it, it looks like he has a stripe running accross his arm...the original RC's dont have that, beleive me, I wish I could say mine is real..but its not..and this line is one of the first thing collectors will look for...but send it out and see what it comes back as..but 10-1 says its not authentic (:

Mike

meuandthelot
06-10-2005, 07:11 AM
The Jordan Rc. what a mess some forgers have created, there may be more "aftermarket" than originals.

If i'm not mistaken. Fleer Premier Logo...Right "Tag End" off Premier box should be darker shade, almost orange.
* Just saw the link. They have a pic ;)

At least you managed to get some other nice pieces out of the deal.

springwoodslasher
06-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Aug06 knows what he's talking about. I never noticed that defect in my Jordan fake rookie, but as soon as he brought it to my attention, I looked at it and he's correct with the print line (I also see it in your Jordan RC front pic). Then, I also noticed the Fleer premier right corner logo on yours doesn't look orange (like's it's supposed to) when the Premier flag goes back and forward.

I also couldn't see the back of the card, so I can't determine that. The right Bull's eye, NBA copyright logo, and NBAPA logo determine the authenticity of the back. I have a fake and, unfortunately, yours looks like mine from the front. Let us see a good back scan and that will determine the authenticity before you even grade it and possibly waste your money. Mine looks pretty damn legit itself, but those small little indifferences decides what is the real thing. I hope, for your sake, I'm wrong.

LancasterStormers
06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Yea, scan of the back please!

ky024
06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
leave my feedback!

cardcollector23
06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
One Thing You Have To Realize.if This Guy Said Other Dealers Said It Was Legit, Why Would He Let It Go So Cheap. No One Would Sell A Jordan Rookie For That Price In That Mint Of Condition Without It Being Graded.that Seems To Be Fishy.

Star_Cards
06-10-2005, 01:58 PM
I agree with card collector...too good to be true...maybe?

keep us posted.

LakersMC
06-10-2005, 02:05 PM
khaotic: We SCFers are all on the same team, so I'm hoping you got a deal. Truly.
(BTW, your link showing the back of the card does not work.)

I have 3 Jordan RCs all PSA graded (i.e. they're real). I have my doubts about this one because:
- The black lines look very 'pixelated'. Like looking at a dot matrix printer versus a laser printer. (Yes, I know you said it may be the scanner...but that's all I have to look at.)
- The coloring is a little off, but this may be due to the scanner too.
- The centering is WAY TOO perfect. By where the Jordan was on the full sheet (on the edge), that kind of centering is nearly impossible.
- You said the guy knew his stuff. It's kind of hard to believe an well-informed collector would let a real Jordan go that cheap.

TurdFerguson
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Ill post the trade...it dissapeared...confirm..and then say you got it.

Sorry to reply not aboutthe Jordan but that trade did not disappear ! If it has been more than 14 days, it's just not shown on the main Trade Manager page. You need to click the trade manager & then look to left and choose "list trades". You will then see a drop down menu and more than likely your trade will be listed under "confirmed". Please try this before posting another trade.

allstar
06-10-2005, 03:16 PM
got a scan of the back, cause link don't work??

TurdFerguson
06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
I see you already posted, confirmed & completed another deal. Please don't do this again in the future. Follow the instructions I gave earlier because all you did was post the trade twice & leave the original. Another thing you can do is use the "search this forum" option in the Trades is Progress forum to see what trades you have posted.

TurdFerguson
06-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I did merge your 2 threads together because we do not want duplicate posts in multiple forums.

khaotic
06-10-2005, 05:49 PM
You guys may very well be right, either way I really don't think that I'm burnt on it because I only put $100 in it plus a $60 Roethlisberger rookie, and 3 vintage brooks robinson cards and some...

khaotic
06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I was about to scan the back just now too, well actually was going to scan a couple more cards first, but my scanner sucks horribly and it's been acting very screwy lately and now my PC freezes when I try to scan something. GRRR!!

SilenceDoGood
06-13-2005, 02:00 AM
The whole deal sounds too good to be true. If you're having your doubts about the card, you may not want to pass it off to someone else.

You paid $100.00 for it, and got those other cards to make up for it, so you lost a minimal amount of money on it.

The guy you sell it to is losing out on all $125.00 of his money.

khaotic
06-13-2005, 05:43 PM
You're right, but I went to the flea market and everyone there wanted to swap instead of buy, so I moved on. 1 guy offered me a Vince Carter stadium club BGS 9 rookie for it, and I turned it down cuz he was the 1st guy i came to, so i went back and the dude was all clammed up on it. oh well, not a hurter since im not big into bball, i'mma try a different one this weekend

SilenceDoGood
06-13-2005, 10:32 PM
I still don't understand why two people have to get jipped out of a real Jordan RC.

khaotic
06-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, I haven't proved it was a fake yet.. I'm selling it as-is with no gaurantees which is what I'm telling potential buyers, which isn't a jip. Secondly, I'm selling off a lot of my stuff.. I need teh cash..

Star_Cards
06-13-2005, 11:49 PM
khaotic.
Do you have any player lots that you would want to move. I have my updated buy list floating around. just do a search for my name. I updated the list today. or email me and I will reply with the list.

mark

khaotic
06-14-2005, 12:37 AM
pm sent to you

b_rad
07-16-2005, 04:49 PM
OK I know you guys hate duplicate posts, but I HAVE to post this one in the regular BSKBL forum and the trading one. Today a guy walks in my shop, he's an out-of-towner, and he's really in a pinch. He shows me these like, three cases of (supposedly) silverware made of, well, silver. I shrugged him off, wasn't really interested. He sees the stacks of cards I'm going through and asks what kind I'm interested in and I told him any and all. He pulls out a stack and says, what would you give me for a Michael Jordan rookie card that's in pristine shape. I kinda chuckled as I practically KNEW this guy was full of it, then voila, he whips out an 85-86 Fleer Michael Jordan in absolute *GEM* shape, you guys have to check this out.. I would be shocked out of my skin if it graded below a 9. In this deal, I also got a 61 Brooks Robinson and a 58 Brooks Robinson, several Jordan/Ewing/other star Inserts, a Roethlisberger Topps Chrome rookie, a ton of other goodies, and the guy wanted $350 for everything and I haggled him down to $100 for the lot. I was beside myself, this thing has not left my eyesight all day. I think I'm going to get it graded. I would be suspicious of it being fake, but, the guy knew his cards pretty well and told me some other stuff he had, and a couple other dealers assured me it was legit. Check it out. I suppose it's for sale/trade, but it's gonna take a lot guys ;)

http://www.geocities.com/corrupt_young_gotti/jordanrookie.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/corrupt_young_gotti/jordanrookieback.jpg
ha i got a jordon 1988 nba defensive player of the year card with a cut above and i'm looking to sell plz e-mail me back at b_rad_supietown@yahoo.com

b_rad
07-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I agree with card collector...too good to be true...maybe?

keep us posted.
ha ur u intro in a jordon upper deck 1988 defensive player of the year card with a cut above or a shaq upper-deck 1993 nba rookie of the year card or a shaq skybox 1994 nba update or a shaq skybox 1996 usa basetball card or a charles barkley skybox 1996 usa basketball card and many more if intro plz e-mail me at b_rad_supietown@yahoo.com

b_rad
07-16-2005, 05:20 PM
ha i'm trying to sell a shaq 1993 upper deck rookie of the year card or a jordon 1988 nba defensive player of the year with a cut above for more info plz e-mail me at b_rad_supietown@yahoo.com

keetonmichaels911
07-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I need it..LMK if its still available