PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Topps Super Team contest

resevil83
06-18-2005, 03:35 AM
Back in the day when I was an extreme card collector, I stumbled upon a box of I believe 95-65 topps basketball cards. There was a contest going on, it was the super team contest, if you had the number one draft pick team you would recieve a whole complete set of their Topps Mystery Finest Refractor set!

Long story short, I won. So the set came in a plastic little package tight around the set, and I put it in a safe in my room, unopened. Now almost 10 years later I realize that I have this. I was wondering, is this rare? Would it be a high demand item because it was won in a contest and never opened.

The cards are in MINT condition. Should I open them? I know Jordan and Miller are in the set.. What would you guys advise me to do. I really want to sell it, but I don't think its worth as much as it used to be.

Check my set out http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/omen02/album?.dir=/8461

springwoodslasher
06-18-2005, 03:55 AM
The regular set books for $100. Refractors are 4x, so a complete refractor set is worth $400. The Beckett Basketball Card Plus says the Super Team winners are 0.2x as much as the regulars and/or refractors. So, the Super Team regular sets books for $20 and the refractors (that you have) are 4x that or $80. It might carry a premium since it's unopened.

Celtics GFX7
06-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Your hands are red dont get that french fry greese on it man.. You're bending them too. Delicate.

bl bassist
06-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Um.. celtics: I don't see any greese on the guys hand and I dont understand how he is bending them..

-Mark

resevil83
06-20-2005, 03:43 AM
hehe, I think he's just joking around. The cards came from the factory that way. I mean from the time I opened the small box they were on a slight curve like that, I'm assuming thats how they rolled off the press, who knows? Anyhow the grease, is funny because there in plastic packaging unopened. :)

Now the worth, keep in mind I don't have the superteam set, I won the contest because of having a superteam card that I had to send in. So does this still mean that I have the "super team won set of refractor player cards" IF that made any sense. I really wanted to know this because I'm low on cash and I need to sell some of my collectibles. I think I might put this set up on ebay.

springwoodslasher
06-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Yes, your set is the "Super Team Champions" Mystery Finest Refractor set. You can see the stamp on the front of the first card of your sealed set, the regular set doesn't have that. That's also the only difference between the Super Team set and the regular set. It books for $80, maybe slightly more since it's sealed ($90-$100). You may be able to get $30-$50 or possibly more on Ebay. It all just depends on what time you list and what the title/description is.