PDA

View Full Version : Top Prospects Warning

bdrr
08-02-2003, 09:57 PM
I took a look at the cards, and the release sheet
The cards WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED RCs!!!
If you want to buy this product to get a LeBron or Melo RC do not!
If you want to buy to get their cards, or a chance at their autos, then good luck

just a friendly warning
Zach

radioheadfloyd
08-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bdrr
I took a look at the cards, and the release sheet
The cards WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED RCs!!!
If you want to buy this product to get a LeBron or Melo RC do not!
If you want to buy to get their cards, or a chance at their autos, then good luck

just a friendly warning
Zach

Who makes the official call of what is a rookie card and what isnt? The whole system seems convoluted.... they just got drafted so I would think that any card out of this year would be a rookie.

bdrr
08-02-2003, 11:17 PM
the cards picture the guys on their college teams with no reference to their NBA teams, therefore they are considered College Draft Cards just like Press Pass or Sage

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Are you serious? I was looking at purchasing a couple Top Prospects lots on EBay.... The ones offering 50 Lebron James, Darko Milicic, etc. rookies in one auction.... Not that I dont believe you, but could anyone else confirm this? I've already purchased the 3 Lebron James cards for $22 and I need to know if these cards wont be considered rookies soon as I have to make a decision on whether or not to bid on those 50 card lots....

Any info?

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 06:11 PM
I need some info ASAP because those auctions end early tomorrow! help! lol hurry!

bdrr
08-03-2003, 06:36 PM
what info do you need?

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 06:38 PM
You're certain that the cards in this series wont be counted as Rookie Cards?

Would you recommend buying a lot of 50 cards of one of the players from that series?

Did I overpay when I spent $23.50 to get the 3 Lebron James base cards sent to my house?

bdrr
08-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Yes you overspent on the three
No, they will not be RCs

if anyone doesnt believe me, i will gladly bet $5 that they will not be RCs

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 06:42 PM
I believe you..... I have nothing to base my disbelief on.... Other then being upset I spent $23 on 3 James cards that wont be worth jack a couple months from now.....

What 03/04 Set would you recommend a newbie like me buying?

And do you know anything about Dutch Auctions on EBay?

bdrr
08-03-2003, 06:49 PM
dutch auctions mean that the seller has numberous cards or lots of the listed item and is selling them all at once, the high bid does not increase until all the lots are accounted for with one bid

the first set with James RCs to come out should be UD MVP, that will also have incredibly long odds on autos
UD Hardcourt will be the first UD product with #ed RCs
In my opinion, the best early release is UD Sweet Shot, the Rookies are Numbered and Autos, which are incredibly nice, are traditionally one every 1 1/2 boxes

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 06:52 PM
On the Dutch auctions.... I knew that part, but once all the lots have been bid on, and the auction is over. Do the winning bidders pay the price they bid or the lowest/highest bid on the items?

So Upper Deck Sweet Shot would be a nice bet? How much would you expect that set to go for per box?

What about Fleer Ultra? One sight is already selling 03-04 boxes of that....

Should I just wait until SP Authentics comes around?

bdrr
08-03-2003, 06:57 PM
hmm...that i couldnt tell you...

Ultra might be redemption RCs, if so, those are kinda annoying
Also, there are no autos as far as i know in Ultra, unless there is one carter au insert. Ultra used to be a high quality brand, but in the last two years its turned into the lowest of Fleers products

SPA is generally a late season release
SPx will come out a couple weeks into the season i think

I always recommend UD because they have autos in most of their products, and they have all the Star players like James, Kobe, Garnett, and Jordan
so if you want a chance at a James Auto or Jersey, you have no choice but UD

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all this info.... Like I said, Im kinda new to the hobby(well, I collected cards 7-10 years ago but am just not getting back into the game in the era of subsets, subsets sets, inserts, GU, etc.)and I can use all the help you have patience to give! lol

What would you expect the prices on the Sweet Shot and SP Authentics to be, per box?

Any other random tips? How to use EBay to get what I want, what to buy, what not to buy, etc.

bdrr
08-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Sweet Shot will probably be $80-$120 a box depending on the SRP this year
SP Authentic wont come out til next April, May or June, so its a long wait, but thall be $80-100 a box

What to buy on ebay: Jerseys, Lower High End Autos
What not to buy on ebay: Cheap Autos, Just released RCs, Rookie stuff from the Top 3 rookies

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 07:11 PM
I see....

Im watching 4-5 different Auctions for the best price on the 02-03 SP Authentics(one of which is a Dutch Auction, which is why I was asking).... Tuff Stuff said that SP Authentics was one of the better sets out there.... And based on the reasonable price, the high price for the rookie cards of Ming/Stoudemire/Ginobili and some of the inserts, I concurred that it was a nice buy.... I was also looking at Fleer Platinum for last year.... But if you have any other suggestions, Im all ears....

I've found that one of the better ways to buy cards on EBay is via Lots.... Getting a couple cards that you really wanted PLUS a handful of others that you could use in trade all for the price, basically, of the couple of cards that you wanted.... Im also finding that EBay has good prices on Boxes if you look hard enough....

When does Sweet Shot come out?

bdrr
08-03-2003, 07:16 PM
sweet shot should be out in september...

02-03 SP is a nice set--Two Autos a box!
the auto/rcs from this set are also the cheapest because they were the last auto/rcs to come out, and by then there had already been SPx, Bowman Signiture, and plenty of auto'd inserts

however, this is the box to get "that pull from" because there are tons of dual and triple autos with guys like bird, erving, jordan, and magic along with all the current superstars

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 07:17 PM
What would be the MOST youd pay to have a box of 02-03 SP Authentics shipped to your door from EBAY?

bdrr
08-03-2003, 07:21 PM
my card store sells the boxes for $100
so if i was buying off ebay it'd have to be $80 shipped to make it worth it

$80 is also the lowest dealers would sell the box, even 6 years from now when its vintage discount

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 07:23 PM
See thats good.... Because there have been boxes sold on EBay, recently, in the $50-60 range....

Also.... Do you participate in this basketball card stuff as a fan of the hobby or as a fan of the sport? Just wondering.... Im more a fan of the sport myself.... And Im trying to apply some of my knowledge there into some fun and some profit in the hobby.... lol

Any other 02-03 or 03-04 Sets youd recommend?

bdrr
08-03-2003, 07:52 PM
as a fan of both really
i buy and sell to get cash to buy what i want
i dont get an allowance, and i dont have job yet so its theo nly way

itsmrwizeguy2u
08-03-2003, 08:40 PM
ultra has lucky 13 rc redemptions and regular rcs too... and YES there is an auto set in ultra this year. they finally took a bit of a turn for the better. I remember seeing someone pull an auto on a different site, but it was not of anyone good. For more info check out charmcitycards.com they are my source of upcoming products/new products etc...

itsmrwizeguy2u
08-03-2003, 08:44 PM
also, top prospects cards are NOT considered rookies... rookies are usually:

1. Shortprinted
2. Shown in NBA uniform OR licensed by the NBA
etc. etc.

When I list UD Top prospects cards that I pull/pulled I put " " around them, simply because some people call them rookies when they are not
e.g.
03-04 Carmelo Anthony UD Top Prospects "RC" #5

I don't really look at the RC/Non rc thing to affect the prices that much.. because after all, they ARE one of the first legitimately licensed cards of that specific player.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Wize

bdrr
08-03-2003, 08:46 PM
rookies arent always shortprinted...look at tradition, topps heratige mvp, etc

itsmrwizeguy2u
08-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Well yeah I know, thats where the word "usually" comes in. As a majority, they are shortprinted. I don't mean serial #ed only, but cards that dont guarantee a certain number of rookies per pack is what I mean by it. Beckett's definition is that it is a card that has a lesser print run then the rest of the set.

Wize

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 09:07 PM
So, wizeguy, would you recommend stocking up on 50 Card Lots of James, Milicic, Anthony, etc in hopes of turning the Upper Deck Top Prospects Cards into profit(even if small) one day soon?

itsmrwizeguy2u
08-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Well, it depends on the player, but yeah I believe that if the player turns out then you could probably make a bit of a profit. I'm doing that with Jerome Beasley, who I think will turn out to be the biggest sleeper in the draft. All cards of a certain player will go up if they were originally considered to be not so decent then bloomed into a good player. Some products would carry a higher profit then others, but I think if you wanted to do it with Top Prospects then it would turn over at least a bit more money then what amount left your pocket at the time of the purchase. BUT, I don't know if Lebron will be a good player to try and make an investment on. People are saying that hes the next big thing, and if he turns out to be a good player but NOT what anticipated, then his cards will be worth squat. Trying to make money off Lebron is kind of like trying to win the lottery because the chances are so hard that you will, because hes at such a high selling point now. I really don't know if his cards could sell any higher, unless he averages say 30-35 PPG.

I'd say try for Milicic, maybe Carmelo, because they both havent sold and sold and sold for $$$$$$$. But if I were you I'd do some research on different players, what comes to my mind is Carlos Delfino, Reece Gaines.. great potential, cheap prices..

Oh, and one last thing regarding the 50 card lots.. I rarely see lots like these hit the market because in most products your chances are unlikely that you'll get 50 cards of the same player in a case. Please refer to my shortprint explanation for more on that.

I don't know if this answered your question, but I hope it did. I'm thinking more than I have done in the past long while LOL, I usually don't make such "educated posts"

ttyl

Mr. Wize Guy

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info!

Ive done TONS and TONS of research on all the players in this draft(as well as pretty much every other draft in recent memory).... Its what I like(as I said, Im more interested in the sport then the hobby).... Not sure on Beasley.... I dont see him being much of a player.... Coming from a D2 school like North Dakota, he hasnt matched up against top prospects(outside of Collison/Gooden 2 years ago).... He probably will make the Heat as theres not much compeition on the front line standing in his way, especially if they let Stepania walk.... Dont know if you just picked Beasley arbitrarily or if you just have a hunch..... But I dont see how he could have much of an impact in this league....

If you want a sleeper(and this is who Im looking at buying 50 cards of), look at Maciej Lampe.... 7'1" monster out of Poland.... 18 years old.... Youngest player ever on Real Madrid.... Perimter skills of a Nowitzki..... Dominated the Rocky Mountain Review Pro Summer League..... Dominated the European Juniors For Young Men last week earning MVP.... And already a cult hero with the New York Knick faithful.... Another name, although Im not sure that you'll find any cards on this guy, would be Nedzad Sinanovic.... The Blazers 2nd Round pick.... Or go for Brandon Hunter, Zaza Pachulia, or Keith Bogans.... 3 2nd Rounders that also dominated summer league play....

Like I said, Im in this as a fan of the sport.... If theres anything you guys would like to know on that front, feel free to ask....

By the way, what did you mean by 50 card lots not hitting the market? I dont understand.... Are you saying that you dont think that the guy selling those REALLY HAS 50 cards of the player?

Thanks for the help!

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Delfino, last I heard, wont come over this year..... Rather, he'll spend another season in Europe fulfilling his contract obliagtions with his Italian League team....

Just thought you guys might be interested in that.....

itsmrwizeguy2u
08-03-2003, 10:05 PM
LOL I chose beasley as a hunch that he would turn out, and I did a bit of research too.. he was basically the best player in Division 2.

Also to clear up the thing I said about 50 card lots, I'm just saying that not many other products offer a chance to compile 50 cards of 1 player into alot, simply because theyre shortprinted. So thats a plus about TP..

Also, I agree with what you said about Lampe, dunno about the other players because I usually dont look into the development of players that I dont take interest for, unless they're on my fav team or I just choose the player as a hunch.

I'm done for the night

thanks for the LONG LONG reads lol

1Legacy
08-03-2003, 10:11 PM
lol!

Sure

And thanks for the help

See you around!

bdrr
08-03-2003, 10:24 PM
the surprise this year will be pietrus in my opinion

1Legacy
08-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Update on the Lampe lot.... I watched that sucker for the past 3-4 days.... Was $5.00 almost the whole way in.... Finally bid on it with about 3 hours to go.... Bid $7, not enough.... $8.50, not enough.... I said forget it, Im letting this one go.... I watched it the rest of the way to see what it would end up at.... With 1 minute left, it was at $10.... But the time the auction ended, it was up to $20.50....

$20.50 for 50 Maciej Lampe cards.... Lot more then that seller got for his more widely known 50 card auctions....

bdrr
08-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Lampe was a steal at #30
i feel horrible for that guy, he was supposed to be a lottery pick, and got invited to the green room and everything...and then to sit there and be taken in the second round, that horrible

eddycurryfan2
08-05-2003, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure about lampe but recently sold his top prospects auto on ebay for $10.

1Legacy
08-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Im looking at a Lampe Top Prospects Auto on EBay, right now.... Its at $5.50 with 1 day left....

Got any more? Id buy them off of you....

eddycurryfan2
08-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Check my feedback link then just click to my auctions I have a hollis price auto and two lebron and carmello lots up.

1Legacy
08-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Im talking about another Lampe auto....

Any more of those?

Any Lampe lots?

eddycurryfan2
08-05-2003, 07:27 PM
oh sorry my mistake. No.. no more lampe's

1Legacy
08-05-2003, 07:34 PM
dang! Those things are going fast for a 2nd Round pick from Europe!

bdrr
08-05-2003, 07:49 PM
he was supposed to be lottery pick but dropped because of contract trouble

1Legacy
08-05-2003, 07:50 PM
I know.... But to the casual fan, hes still some guy they've never heard of that was drafted in the 2nd Round....

bdrr
08-05-2003, 08:17 PM
people should know him soon enough :)

iMacreative
08-20-2003, 10:20 PM
You know, I got the MJ School Colors Jersey, a Gold Kobe, and finished the Bron,Darko,Melo set. also got the Jerome Beasley auto card. Extremely Lucky.
I guess the TP won't be considered RC cards for the players, but it's fun nonetheless.