PDA

View Full Version : An industry gone haywire.

spuds1961
10-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Today's article has me writing about game-used cards and their authenticity.

I was having a conversation in one of the threads on sportscardforum where the FBI busted 6 people for selling unauthentic game-used items.I would like to think my Albert Pujols game used jersey was actually worn by him,but with the wording on the backs of these cards being so vague there really is no way of telling.Yes you are telling me it is Albert Pujols game used memorabilia,but in the next sentence you are telling me that it was worn in a major league game,but you aren't stating that Albert was the player who wore it.

I think it is time for the card companies to stop being so lazy and to step up their game.I remember Donruss use to have a picture of the bat or jersey on the back of the cards showing where they got the piece of memorabilia from.I think that should be a necessity with all of the shenanigans going on in the hobby.With all the dealers out there not being 100 % honest you would think the card companies would only use items that they secured themselves rather than from a second hand dealer.I realize they can get them alot cheaper from a second hand dealer,but at what cost to the collector.I have started to stay away from the game-used cards in this industry until the companies can get the ironclad proof that it is real,if for nothing else but to ease my mind.

I am starting to think that as collectors we have had enough of being hoodwinked by these major companies,and yes these companies should be cringing in their shoes because I think us collectors are finally getting fed up to the point of not buying their fake product.I think that there are too many game-used cards out on the market to begin with,and with there being so many it only stands to reason there will be fakes,and even if they are real the value just isn't there anymore.I mean just look at Mark Ingram at the rookie premiere photoshoot,how many jerseys did he have on at one time,about 20,if that doesn't show you how watered down the event worn/game used market has become nothing will.

Going forward what I would like to see is the odds being greatly reduced to what they once were,one game used or autographed card per case.I know alot of collectors will scoff at this idea as they have gotten used to their 4 hits per box.I think I would rather have a box of cards with 24 packs some inserts and a chance at putting the set together rather than having a 200 dollar pack with 7 cards and 4 of them being watered down hits.I personally think the industry needs some major restructuring,as us collectors seem to be getting bored with the current trend.

This is an open article and I would like some suggestions from you the true collectors as to what you would think will make our hobby better.I think that for the most part these card companies have just gotten lazy and they just keep throwing out the same rehashed ideas and products,it is time for us as collectors to make a stand,remember we all work hard for our money and we really don't have to spend it on cardboard,there are lots of other things we can choose to spend it on other than cardboard.I would think these said card companies would realize that and try to put out better products for us,afterall how tough can it be to put out a product that us collectors would truly want to buy.

That's it for today,and remember if you don't think a product is worth what you were going to spend on it buy your wife a new pair of shoes,or flowers,or anything for that matter,it will be much more appreciated and the return on your investment for treating your wife nice will be priceless,thanks for the read,have a great day Steve.

Ray Rice Collector
10-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Great article and I agree that they should at least tell you what game the jersey was worn it. I also agree that the number of cards produced are crazy however I read a article some where that tells you how many card swatches can be produced from 1 jersey or bat ant the number was high so. My problem is the patches if a card is numbered to 25 and you have 25 gu cards and 25 patches or is that a combined number? That's what bothers me.

spuds1961
10-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for your reply pee632,much appreciated take care Steve

Ianril
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Definitely a good article. The whole parallel game pisses me off. Even though I HAVE to have all of certain parallels. Haha. I'm a sucker I guess.

The one thing that really urcks me is 1/1's. Sure, it's great when you have a 1/1 of your favorite player, but that just means that there is another guy out there who super collects the same guy that doesn't get to enjoy the same card. I personally think /25 should be the lowest they go. Give everyone a chance to own every card of their favorite player.

spuds1961
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Definitely a good article. The whole parallel game pisses me off. Even though I HAVE to have all of certain parallels. Haha. I'm a sucker I guess.

The one thing that really urcks me is 1/1's. Sure, it's great when you have a 1/1 of your favorite player, but that just means that there is another guy out there who super collects the same guy that doesn't get to enjoy the same card. I personally think /25 should be the lowest they go. Give everyone a chance to own every card of their favorite player.

I player collect 2 guys Robinson Cano of the Yankees and Steve Smith,ex N.Y.Giant now Philadelphia Eagle,and the lowest numbered cards I have of either of them are out of 25.If you pull a 1/1 autograph and you're lucky enough to have a bidding war it can lead to big bucks,but I like you would rather see the lowest print run be 25.I appreciate your reply,take care Steve

Boinks
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Great article. I've been thinking about this for awhile.

Personally I believe the odds for hits shouldn't be set back to 1998 levels but moved more towards current retail levels. About 1 hit per box. But I understand that hobby stores need some advantage in order to stay in business, so there has to be a nice even ground for this.

Of course nothing will change unless people vote with their wallets. :)

Also I'm just as sick of the parallels as I am of the worthless jersey cards.

Ray Rice Collector
11-05-2011, 12:02 AM

If we could agree to disagree on the 1/1 I think that is the beauty of being a Super Collector that you have the only card that was made. It makes your collection special and when time and money permits you will end up with the one that the other guy has too.