PDA

View Full Version : collecting sets

helstad
10-06-2005, 11:28 PM
hey everybody

first of all sorry for my english, itīs far from perfect

i used to collect nba cards between 1991 and 1995, because my grandfather used to live in azores (portugal) and USA have a military base there and they had this little shop there where he used to bought me cards

back then i collected and traded only with other kids here in portugal, we had no internet so that group of kids was really the only way to trade our cards. everybody wanted to have a complete set, we really didnīt care about trading a valuable card for a worthless card. i remember a kid who gave a rookie card of kevin garnett in 1996 (i think) in trade for a card that now worths 10 cents of some player nobody remebers anymore

then i stop collecting and in 2003 i started again buying cards from the internet. and the big difference i found is that nobody seems to want to have a complete set anymore. people just want the rare cards and the autos and GUīs. at least thatīs what happens with my friends here in portugal and i kinda see the same in the trade zone of this forum

just wanted to share this. donīt know if you guys notice this too there in the USA. any toughts?

BravesFan4Life
10-07-2005, 01:57 AM
its most prevalent here too. There are exceptions. I prefer completing refractor sets over having a huge high end collection. There is some appeal to me for certain autos but its usually of older players.

springwoodslasher
10-07-2005, 02:42 AM
I like to put together sets, but not base sets. Even when I was a kid I'd buy a box, put together a complete base set, then sell it back to my dealer for $5 or so. Right now I've completed some insert sets from back when I used to collect and I'm now putting together the 04-05 Trilogy Auto Focus set. Collecting has definitely changed alot since 10 years ago though.

DarthDooku
10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah i hear ya, Im all about collecting sets. I think its just been what i thought was the best accomplishment when i was a kid, and its just stuck with me. Now i just like the feeling of completing a set, and whatever special cards i get in the process are a bonus. And i dont trade them. Altough i will spring for some high end boxes in hopes of getting that big Rookie, but i'd never trade it. I'd like to see it in 20 years and pass it on to my kids. I usually dont trade unless i have doubles.

I think a lot of people are more into getting those special cards and selling them when they're hot unless its a fav player of thiers. Everyone's got their own thing i guess. I would like to get into completing subsets like gu's or whatever but that can be expensive.

helstad
10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
finally someone thinks the same way

mully17
10-25-2005, 07:27 AM
I gone one better, trying to collect a card of every player in the NBA and every player to have played over 300 games from 1990 - present (was when I first got into it).

Missing a few of the current day hacks (John Edwards, Pape Sow, Bernard Robinson, Mario Kasun, etc) only about 30 players total. Have 393/396 players to have played 300+, may not sound too challenging for some but try doing it from Australia!

Anyone got some Sage and Press Pass commons for me :-)