PDA

View Full Version : Western Conference is weak

LakersMC
11-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I've heard lots of talk how the Eastern Conf is now the better conference. They have 3 title contenders in Miami, Detroit, Indiana. The west has 1 big studly team now: SA.

Here's how my local paper predicted the west from #1-#8: SA, Houston, Denver, Dallas, Seattle, Clippers, Memphis, Phoenix.

Think about it. The West is wide open behind SA. So here's a good topic of discussion, that I heard on sports talk radio...

Who's the #2 team in the West?

cardbuyer66
11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Denver...I hope :-)

Bonds_25
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Here's how my local paper predicted the west from #1-#8: SA, Houston, Denver, Dallas, Seattle, Clippers, Memphis, Phoenix.

Think about it. The West is wide open behind SA. So here's a good topic of discussion, that I heard on sports talk radio...

Who's the #2 team in the West?

Wow, can't believe your paper left the Kings out of the playoffs. They potentially have one of the best starting 5's in basketball:
Mike Bibby
Bonzi Wells
Peja Stojakovic
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Brad Miller

Their bench is also solid though nothing special. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Kings are the #2 seed but my guess is it will be Dallas.

LakersMC
11-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Matt - Yes, Denver is going to be right up there.

Nolan - That is a good point. I actually was high on Sacto last yr. The only people they lost are the old, crippled guys.

Kobe12
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
With Phil Jackson back, the Lakers are DEFINATELY making the playoffs, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Lakers fan. GO LAKERS!!!

LakersMC
11-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Kobe12 - I hope you are right. A lot of people forget the Lakers were #6 seed when Kobe got hurt & Rudy T took a hike. Feeling the zen...

Kobe12
11-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Yea, even I sort of disregarded that until now. Thanks for raising my hopes even higher! Yeah I'm feeling the Zen!

gostate1122
11-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Wow, can't believe your paper left the Kings out of the playoffs. They potentially have one of the best starting 5's in basketball:
Mike Bibby
Bonzi Wells
Peja Stojakovic
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Brad Miller

Their bench is also solid though nothing special. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Kings are the #2 seed but my guess is it will be Dallas.
the hornets killed the kings the other night!
I say the grizzlies

BravesFan4Life
11-03-2005, 05:12 AM
The Kings have not meshed yet. I think that Houston will end up #2 and the Lakers will not even make the playoffs. Just my opinion.

Bonds_25
11-03-2005, 04:43 PM
the hornets killed the kings the other night!
I say the grizzlies

Certainly did not play well in Oklahoma City, but they did look better last night against Houston. Had Bibby or Stojakovic produced at all they likely would have won a tough road game. Once they get back home and a few wins under their belt they will be just fine. I'm not worried yet, but a couple more losses in the next few games may change that.

Insane Irish
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Phil Jackson = Overrated

bergzautos
11-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Phil Jackson = Overrated

How is one of the greatest coaches of all time overrated?
The guy made the Bulls the dynasty one that they were, and completely turned the Lakers franchise around.
Both teams absolutely sucked for many, many years until The Zen Master took over. He turned role players' into big-timers in key situations (Pip, Ron Harper, Kukoc)not familiar with the Lakers enough to name in any names (Fisher and Horry come to mind)

The reason the West IMO is weak, is because the East has quite a few of the players' who were once in the West- Shaq, Rasheed, Kidd, etc.
The West is also lacking in true dominate post players...outside of a Garnett, Duncan.

LakersMC
11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Phil Jackson = Overrated

Red Auerbach = bitter, jealous old man

LakersMC
11-04-2005, 06:59 PM
That last post was just to take a good natured poke at you, Insane Irish. It's all in good fun.

I tend to agree with bergzautos on Phil Jackson. In the case of the Lakers, they had a great core from 96/97 - 98/99. In fact in 97/98, they won 61 games and had 4 all-stars (Shaq, Kobe, van Exel, Eddie Jones). Yet they never won anything until Phil Jackson came. Phil haters always say anyone could have coached the Shaq-Kobe teams to a championship. Well, it didn't happen & 97/98 is a perfect example.

stalking_WOLF_21
11-05-2005, 08:58 PM
i don't care what u guys say...the suns will prevail...even after the injury of amare...just think once he comes back its lights out for all other competition

KingJames
11-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Go Lakers! I'm sure they will make the playoffs. any bets? :) As for the #2 team, it'll be Denver. They had a terrible record until George Karl came and completely turned the team around for the second half of the season. I'm pretty sure Denver will give the Spurs a run for their money. Go Lakers!!!

stalking_WOLF_21
11-06-2005, 11:38 AM
i think with the loss of nene it gives denver a huge problem cause kenyon martin can't play every big man....and nene did all the dirty work for the team...

bergzautos
11-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I've really liked the way the Clips have started the season. They remind me a lot of the Suns of last year with their up-tempo high scoring fast-break offense. Once they get Maggette back, they will be really tough to beat. Phoenix just isn't the team it was last year- they will really begin to miss Q in a couple weeks when they are still searching for an identity.
Minnesota has looked terrible so far IMO. Garnett still has no one to work with him, and he still cannot stand Wally-World.
Golden State has really surprised me with their up-tempo game, and believe they can also go pretty far this year with J-Rich and Baron.

LakersMC
11-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Minnesota has looked terrible so far IMO. Garnett still has no one to work with him, and he still cannot stand Wally-World.

Couldn't agree with you more. The Wolves are now the old Clippers + KG and Szerbiak. The old Clippers being Jaric, Olowokandi, and Troy Hudson.

For the Laker fans on this thread, rumors are that the LA brass is hoping KG will get fed up with Minnesota mgmt & demand a trade to LA. He has a home in Malibu.

leftyshan
11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
For the Laker fans on this thread, rumors are that the LA brass is hoping KG will get fed up with Minnesota mgmt & demand a trade to LA. He has a home in Malibu.

We can only hope...........:)

Kobe12
11-07-2005, 08:08 PM

I now have a dream ;)

KingJames
11-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Wow, if he does. Welcome championships!! I can dream, right?

Foppert34
11-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Warriors will be in the top 6 of the Western Conference, and top 3 next year.

gostate1122
11-25-2005, 06:24 PM
that true, jrich is great

LakersMC
12-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Mike Bibby
Bonzi Wells
Peja Stojakovic
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Brad Miller

Yesterday was the first time I watched a full Kings game. What is wrong with them & Peja??? They have a pretty good team on paper, but what's up?

stalking_WOLF_21
12-11-2005, 10:04 PM
yeah the kings do look good on paper but some times you can't get the right chemistry between all of your players