PDA

View Full Version : Just bought MJ RC READ!

Lost
01-23-2006, 11:35 PM
I just bought a 1986-1987 MJ RC for 180 bucks. Its BV is 800 dollars. I am going to have it BGS graded... GREAT DEAL EH!??

envoy98
01-23-2006, 11:41 PM
If it's real, yeah...

golfmanccl
01-23-2006, 11:51 PM
yea make sure it is real there are a lot of great looking fakes out there

Lost
01-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Well he is going to have it graded for me and have a scan of the card with his name above it on a piece of paper to show it is really his. So there is no questions asked you know? No way to fake that is there?

Lost
01-24-2006, 01:58 AM
That's the best way i could think of for it to be real and it to be really his and not just someone elses scan on ebay or something.... Anyone else got a better idea?

LakersMC
01-24-2006, 02:26 AM
If it's too good to be true...ya know...

If it's real, I would think most people would sell it on ebay & get fair market value. Say he gives you a scan or whatever, how do you know he will actually send the card after you pay him?

It just sounds fishy to me. All that to say, "Be careful."

Lost
01-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Well now i am paying 190 and throwin in quite a few rookie auto jersey cards and some ripkens. But i am not sending the cards until he send the jordan so therefore 190 dollars is all that is possible to lose.... What would you suggest then him send the card first?

Lost
01-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Tell me what you would do because i agree this is a little shady but this guy has been generous in the past. he sent me a free jordan for being first person to apply to his forum on a new site. LMK please.

BravesFan4Life
01-24-2006, 03:27 AM
make him send first completely. dont send a thing until you have the graded jordan in hand. simple as that.

KeenanRIVALS
01-24-2006, 03:47 AM
yeah i would make him send first but most people dont send first cause they may think what if the guy is new and he dosnt send,its going to go both ways and he may feel that he cant trust u and when two people dont trust each other they use refrences to solve who sends first so i hope u have some

Lost
01-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Making him send first sounds kind of bad because of all the references he has had. I have none and I know you can't trust people over the internet. Really he has more references he is giving me an amazing deal so I doubt I can get him to send first. Any other suggestions?

envoy98
01-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Nobody is going to send first on a sale. Not here, not on Beckett not anywhere. (At least they shouldn't...)

I would ask for a scan of the front and back. If you can post a decent scan, or a link to it I can usually tell if it's legit or not. In fact, I've made several posts on how to spot fake Gretzky and Jordan rc's.

The reason I'm questioning this one is two fold.

1.) If the card is in "gradeable condition" it's worth a lot more than $180. A PSA 7 gets $400+ in cash. Anything worse than that and it's not really "collectible", even at $180.

2.) $180 is very, very cheap...too cheap. My theory is that $180 is made to seem cheap, but not so cheap that you think "it must be fake!". If he were charging $25 for it, you wouldn't buy it. But for $180 the price is intended to lend some credibility.

It just doesn't add up. A Jordan rc worth owning, is worth a lot more than $180. A fake isn't worth $10. If you can get scans of the front and back I can probably tell you with 99% certainty if it's real or fake. The question then has to be, is the card in the scan the one you will get.

Best of luck.

By the way, if you do a search you can probably find my posts on how to spot a fake Gretzky and Jordan rc's. I should probably just sticky them...

S.A.M.
01-24-2006, 12:50 PM
When dealing with someone online I don't know and money's involved, I usually move my transaction through eBay and pay with PayPal so that it adds legitimacy to the deal and provides some recourse if the deal goes bad. It goes like this:

1) you agree the terms of the sale, in this case the $190 and the extra cards

2) he lists the item on ebay with a buy it now of $190 and sends you the link

3) you buy immediately and send the cards/$ via paypal

4) he sends you the goods

If it's a fake you can likely at least get your $ back, the cards would be gone though, or if you wanted you could do it piecemeal. For instance you send him the $ and he sends you the card, on receipt of the card and verification it's not a fake, you send him the extra cards. Kind of like a half now, half after the job is done type deal.

If he balks at this plan it could be suspect, because listing a single item on ebay is very little hassle.

envoy98
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
SAM-the only problem with this is that the seller is then obligated to pay listing and final value fees to ebay along with the fees he's going ot be paying to paypal already...So you're adding an additional $10-$20 of cost in there. It does add some legitimacy to the deal, I agree. But I would expect the seller would want something in return to help cover the fees. I know I would.

Lost
01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Envoy when he gets it back from grading he is taking a piece of paper sliding it under the card writing above the card his full name and his online name and sending me a good scan of the card front and back. When I get it I was wondering if i cuold email you a scan or show you a scan and you can tell me whether it is real or fake?

S.A.M.
01-24-2006, 01:39 PM
envoy98, I completely agree with your point. The best option as I see it would be for the seller and buyer to split the fees, because they'd both be gaining recourse if the deal went bad.

Lost
01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
split the fees how so

Lost
01-24-2006, 01:55 PM
mean send half he sends cards then send other half? Is that what you mean by split fees?

S.A.M.
01-24-2006, 02:03 PM
By split fees I meant that because you would do the transaction on eBay that you and the seller would split the fees charged by eBay and PayPal. So say the cost of listing fees and final value fees...

tutall
01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
i would pay the extra 15 bucks or whatever to list it on ebay... you could still pop it on ebay and make a lot more back on your investment... just be carefull

LakersMC
01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Another option is to do the deal through naxcom. Naxcom holds funds until the buyer receives the cards in a temporary holding account. It is like 'escrow' if you know what that is.

gottagitdemjs
01-27-2006, 04:26 AM
Unless this is like a PSA 5 or less, I'd bet money that the card is fake. Nobody who has prior knowledge of the value of a Jordan rookie is going to sell one for $180 and some jersey cards. And you've already shown that this seller has prior knowledge by the fact that the started a message board for sportscards. Unless you undoubtedly trust this guy or the Jordan is of poor quality, this sounds waaaay to good to be true. I think you're going to end up with a fake card and he's gonna have your money and jersey cards.

Lost
01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Well the guy has more referals he sent me a free jordan for being the first to post on one of his forums in perfect condition. and also on ebay i can get this same jordan card not graded for around 250 so he isn't missing out on much and the cards are not jersey cards but auto jersey rookie cards =).

envoy98
01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
So you've mentioned...

I thought he was going to have the card graded and then send you that one? What if it is real and it comes back an 8 or a 9? Or, what if it comes back a 4 or 5?

Lost
01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Good point but i told him no deal if it isn't 8.5 or higher ;P I think i am going to forget about the whole thing. There is no precautions i can take to make sure i don't get screwd over unless i make him go through ebay or something.

envoy98
01-27-2006, 03:16 PM
An 8.5 is a $900 card.

Lost
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
I know
that is why i am most likely going to forget about it unless you can tlel me a way to take precaution to prevent my self from being screwed over ;)? LMK please.

S.A.M.
01-27-2006, 04:05 PM
ask him to do it on ebay or naxcom like we mentioned.