PDA

View Full Version : What got you into the NBA?

WilyWestbrook0
01-30-2006, 11:39 PM
I honestly became a fan after playing the Tecmo NBA Basketball game on the NES in 1992. I saw a little bit of the 1992-93 Finals between Chicago and Phoenix after wearing that game out, but the first full season I followed was the 1993-94 season. I was nine. Jordan had retired and I obviously don't remember much of his dominance for those first three championships - only the later ones.

My family got the DirecTV satellite with League Pass for the 1995-96 season. Ever since, I've been able to watch any team I want, not just what the major networks show. A large reason for getting DirecTV in the first place was actually to see more Rex Chapman games (he is my all-time favorite player, and in 1995-96, he played in Miami before they were a national TV fixture).

I also used to play basketball a lot in those carefree days and even briefly had dreams of playing in the WNBA (muahahahaha!). That was before I came to my senses and realized my court vision was atrocious, my motor coordination a little too stiff, my shot far too inconsistent, and my height less than ideal (5'2") for any hope in that. : ) In fact, the WNBA has never been able to interest me the way the NBA does. Er, my gender just isn't as good at that sort of thing, y'know? : D

I am sure all of your fanhood stories will be far different, and I am interested in reading them.

tutall
01-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Mine is a bit different but Dennis Rodman got me into basketball.... when he got traded to the Bulls is when i got turned onto basketball... i loved his desire to play and the corny stuff he pulled in the finals against karl malone... i watched games before then but after rodman i followed it... i now love college ball and love getting the scoop on high school players and try to go to as many high school games that feature the tops players in the nation... we try to make a road trip every winter break to see a top 5 school in America

RenegadeLonghorn
01-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Michael Jordan

TheTGB
01-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Honestly, I hate the NBA. The NBA is so selfish in their playing.

I would rather watch college basketball any day of the week.

I enjoy European basketball also. My personal coach from junior high to high school played professional ball in Portugal.

TurdFerguson
01-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I just started watching Bulls games when I was younger maybe 11 or 12. This was BEFORE Michael Jordan too ! Orlando Woolridge & Artis Gilmore were the big names on the team then. Once the Bulls got Michael, I was hooked. However, since the Jordan days have ended, I'll bet I can count the number of NBA games I've watched entirely on one hand. I just have no interest in watching today's players especially Iverson & Kobe.

WilyWestbrook0
01-31-2006, 02:34 PM
spoodini and Rick - In today's game, I would recommend the Pistons and Spurs for you. Those are examples of two unselfish teams with good fundamentals and sound offense and defense, not a team with one big name superstar who gets all the limelight. Their Finals match-up last year was great and overlooked by the 'star-happy' media.

TurdFerguson
01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
No way, I hate the Pistons ! Ever since the Bad Boys days against the Bulls. I actually like the Spurs because I was a David Robinson fan.

RenegadeLonghorn
01-31-2006, 06:34 PM
I watch the NBA for its entertainment value. Sure, some players are selfish and overpaid. But thats true for every team sport. NBA can often be an individual sport (Kobe, Tmac, Iverson) and I believe thats why we hear of certain players more. I've been a basketball fan for around fifteen years now and nothing will change that. Basketball is more exciting to me then baseball and hockey. At least there's scoring!

Also helps that I've been a Spurs fan for a very long time. :)

WilyWestbrook0
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
It's also the most exciting sport for me to watch. I like football too but basketball eclipsed my interest in it back in 1993 and it's been that way since (I do catch a few NFL games each year and try to catch the Super Bowl each time, including this year's which I plan to see). Hockey I will watch once in a great while, but like you said - the lack of scoring is a drawback. There's more of that in basketball and football. Baseball's lack of scoring and speed has made me unable to ever get into it at all, unfortunately.

Insane Irish
02-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Ever since I could stand I was watching Basketball (NBA mostly) because of my father. My whole family were die-hard Celtics fans. I would even listen to the C's on the radio, just because of Johnny Most. Sometimes we'd mute the T.V. and crank the radio up, because nobody called the game like J. Most!!!
I love the fact that I grew up in my ERA, getting to watch players like Bird, Magic, Dominique, Mchale, Jordan, Barkley, Ewing ect. And now some of the new Superstars are fun as Well, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron ect. I love the NBA, I just don't watch as much as I used too. Just too many trades, Free agency, kinda just killed it for me. The minute you start really liking your teams players, BAM they are gone.
I do get the Direct TV deal every year still, just so I can still watch my C's, but it's just not the same as the older days!!!

stalking_WOLF_21
02-01-2006, 09:29 PM
what got me into the nba was my love for basketball i love the sport...right now i'm a 6-3 freshman in high school on varsity level and that shows how much i love the game i've worked hard on it and even when i watch suns games which is alot i look at how certain players make moves rebound box out defence moving your feet etc...i love basketball!!!

spydermat
02-02-2006, 01:05 AM
lol i really got into the NBA when the bulls and jazz would play in the playoffs, i loved the bulls, and my dad would go for the jazz, just because it was the other team

TheTGB
02-02-2006, 07:09 AM
spoodini and Rick - In today's game, I would recommend the Pistons and Spurs for you. Those are examples of two unselfish teams with good fundamentals and sound offense and defense, not a team with one big name superstar who gets all the limelight. Their Finals match-up last year was great and overlooked by the 'star-happy' media.

If I had to pick a team I like it would be the Pistons, I still follow Richard Hamilton as he has been one of the most successful after college at UConn (not as good as Ray Allen, yet). Ben Wallace is awesome. He is my type of player. The other night he scored 0 points but he had 17 rebounds and 3 blocks. I don't like the Spurs, don't know why, just don't lol.

stalking_WOLF_21
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
spoodini...Yes FINALLY!!!!!! some one that doesn't like the spurs ugh i hate them...they look like there stoners or something...they never have exspressions on there face escecially duncan

LakersMC
02-02-2006, 09:25 PM
spoodini...Yes FINALLY!!!!!! some one that doesn't like the spurs ugh i hate them...they look like there stoners or something...they never have exspressions on there face escecially duncan

I like the Spurs (relatively speaking). But I agree with you about their demeanor. I always say that they are "robots". Tim Duncan is a robot - all it does is rebound & score. It doesn't have feelings.

stalking_WOLF_21
02-02-2006, 10:00 PM
yeah duncan is hilarious so was joe johnson he's the same way

Aikman_TheGreat
02-24-2006, 02:36 AM
I got into the NBA when my step-dad took me to a Mavs-Celtics game. Which I wasnt thrilled about because I hated basketball. I was real into football and the cowboys. But of course the Cowboys had just won 3 super bowls so their tickets were sky-high, and the Mavs were dirt cheap. Before the game my mom bought me a Jason Kidd jersey to wear to the game, so thats how I got into Jason Kidd so much. We went to the game, and from their i fell in love with basketball. So since then, basketball is my number one game, and Kidd is who I collect(also Marion).

Kobe12
03-24-2006, 11:37 PM
yeah duncan is hilarious so was joe johnson he's the same way

I think I would have more respect for Duncan if he should more desire and intensity to win...

tutall
03-25-2006, 01:01 AM
I think I would have more respect for Duncan if he should more desire and intensity to win...

3 rings doesnt show enough to give him respect?

Kobe12
03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Im not saying I dont respect him, im saying that I would respect him More if he showed some intensity

Bassy91
03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
I live 15 minutes from Auburn Hills so naturally i go see alot of pistons games. I started gonig with my dad back in teh early 90's. Eversince i havent been able to stop.

GO PISTONS!

Andrew

stalking_WOLF_21
03-26-2006, 10:09 PM
bassy91: yes i'm glad to hear you've been a pistons fan even when they stunk...most pistons fans now just like them cause there winning...

nman0808
03-26-2006, 10:29 PM
I live a couple of hours from Auburn Hills, and we go see a couple of games a year. Thats how I got into basketball, and now its great with the Pistons winning again.

Bassy91
03-27-2006, 12:21 AM
LOL exactly man... I hate badnwagon fans, and there are so many.

andrew

Bassy91
03-27-2006, 12:28 AM
hey Nman where do you live? what city. I live

nman0808
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I live in Westphalia, a city outside of Lansing, its really tiny, population is abouut 1200.

Bassy91
03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
O jeez that is tiny, my dad lives in auburn hills and my mom lives in monroe.

andrew