PDA

View Full Version : I need help...box vs pack

cardaddict
03-12-2006, 02:30 AM
I just started really getting into collecting basketball cards, and i was wondering if it is better to buy it a pack at a time or to buy a whole box set. Aside from price, obviously box is a cheaper deal, i just wanted to know from your experiences what is a better buy in terms of ratio of getting good cards.

Lik555
03-12-2006, 05:43 AM
if you can afford it, it would be best to buy cards by the box. that way you are pretty much guaranteed to get an auto or game used jersey..... whatever the odds say on the box. some dealers open packs from a box until they get that one "hit" (auto or game used jersey). then they sell the rest of the packs knowing that there will not be an auto or game used jersey in the packs. it sounds kind of unfair, but some dealers do it.
hope this helps!

softballa04
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah but make sure you get a hobby box and not some retail box from the store. If you get retail you might get an auto or gu... but hobby 99% of the time tells you on there the box that they promise so many gu or auto's or #. Hope that was helpful. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON RETAIL.

LakersMC
03-13-2006, 03:15 PM
There are also people who know how to pick out the good packs from the box. So a lot of times, when you see an opened box of loose packs...your chances of getting anything good are 0%.

Follow the advice of the above two posts => HOBBY BOXES.

softballa04
03-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Ive always wondered how they do that.

Swiss_Swish
03-14-2006, 11:46 PM
actually last night went to the walmart down the street thought what the heck just got twenty bucks for chores around the house such as shoveling the driveway from the blizzard that hit and bought a retail box of upper deck rookie debut. hit some personal mojo with a few nice commons of my players and one of the first times i actually got a gu it was only a lousy allen iverson bv 10 though but i dont have the chance to be hobby boxes cause all i have is the target and walmart so i dont have a choice and sorry for the rant and lack of punctuation but im getting tired

softballa04
03-15-2006, 12:24 AM
You should get them off ebay. Can get some really good deals at times.

banksbordr
03-19-2006, 01:40 AM
I know everybody says boxes, but I seem to do best with packs. Just bought three boxes of hobby chrome($210) and don't really have anything to show for it. Still can't get away from the thrill of the box though. =D

lasherclan
03-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Have to agree...ideally you should purchase Hobby boxes from a reputable dealer....there are a few good ones on ebay, but I think you can also get stuck with some who search their boxes and re-shrink wrap them.

I prefer to buy from dacardworld.com

Good luck no matter what you choose

Lik555
03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
swiss swish... <br />
i have a hobby store where i used to buy hobby boxes. until i found the great deals that i could get online. when i saw the prices the online stores charged .... and even free...

Needlez67
03-20-2006, 10:31 PM
The only retail boxes I have had great success with is 2005 Bowman Chrome Baseball those are some sweat retail boxes. Always seem to have great success with any bowman product.

igotbamboozled
03-21-2006, 04:09 AM
get ur boxes at dacardworld.com, they got real cheap boxes