PDA

View Full Version : Chris Webber card from Walmart

podstock
04-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Well, I dropped by the local Walmart Superstore today out of boredom and went to the little stand where all their sports cards are located

Checked out all the cards on display, saw a pack of 35 basketball cards for $1.99 that had Magic Johnson in it and bought it.

Pulled out the Magic, and 3 Chris Webber Fleer rookies.

Got triples of folks like Bimbo Coles prospects who never even made it to NBA.

sheesh!!

CAVEAT EMPTOR.... if you buy these types of packs, and expect to get a surprise, beware!! These packs are mostly filled with crappy cards.

I just wanted the Magic card...and got lucky enough to get the Webbers.

btw, who the hell is Yu-Gi-Oh, and why is it so popular

:confused:

:confused:

TMNiches
04-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh is a pokemon type game. Made or distributed by Upper Deck.

podstock
04-09-2003, 01:21 AM
lakerswiz...it's amazing how much those cards go for! In fact, there was a convention in Santa Monica just a month or so ago, just for fans who trade Yu-Gi-Oh.

wow!

gioperation
04-09-2003, 07:28 AM
and they buy the crap out of it, esp the rare holo cards.

IggyWH
04-09-2003, 12:11 PM
I went into a Wally World like a week ago and looked everywhere for cards. When I couldn't find them, I asked customer service where they kept them and they said they had stopped selling cards. Did you hear about the one Wally World (can't remember where it's at) is actually selling used cars now?

podstock
04-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Iggy....Wally World, huh, lol

I wouldn't be surprised to hear WalMart is going into the car business.

They need to figure out more and more ways to generate profits to satisfy the shareholders of their Walmart stock.

Walmart is not only selling retail stuff, but has optometry clinics, and even podiatry clinics associated with their stores; and they are looking to get into the credit card business.

Anything to make a buck, I suppose.

Walmart family is one of the richest in the world.

IggyWH
04-09-2003, 12:41 PM
There's a point where people just have to say enough is enough. I know I don't shop at Walmart, but I guess a lot of people do.

podstock
04-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Iggy, Walmart is awesome when you're looking for bargains. It's esp. good for large families with limited income.

Walmart has such a large buying power that they get incredible bargains from their vendors.

This is why things seem so cheap at Wal-mart..but the same brands are more expensive at the K-Marts, Targets, etc.

IggyWH
04-09-2003, 01:04 PM
When I want deals, I just go to Sam's Club. Prices seem good enough to me and then for the smaller stuff, the local supermarket chain is just as good. Other than that, I don't buy stuff that they sell at Walmart.

stkmtimo
04-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Those packs are tough to get anything good in, but gems can be found. I've gotten some good cards from those $9.99 boxes :)

Tim

podstock
04-09-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't usually buy these see through packs, as obviously, they've been assembled by someone before being put into a pack.

But, I saw a Magic Johnson, so I figured, out of the 34 other cards, I might get lucky. And I did.

Usually, I am not so lucky. lol

stkmtimo
04-10-2003, 09:26 PM
I never buy those packs, either. There are other common RCs, but I like those cheap $9.99 boxes. Pulled tons of gu/autos.

Tim

amare
04-12-2003, 08:52 PM
i thought bimbo coles have made it to nba, but was a journeyman since..

pwaldo
04-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by stkmtimo
I never buy those packs, either. There are other common RCs, but I like those cheap $9.99 boxes. Pulled tons of gu/autos.

Tim

I love those $9.99 boxes. I always buy those at Kmart and Target. Usually I get some really good cards.

podstock
04-12-2003, 09:20 PM
I just dropped by KMart today, and noticed that they were selling 2002-2003 baseball and basketball boxes that had only 7-10 wax packs in the entire box, priced at $9.99 to $13.99

Are they serious?

wow.

stkmtimo
04-17-2003, 01:47 PM
pwaldo - I've gotten about 10 game used cards and a few autos. My best game used was a Sammy Sosa/Luis Gonzalez dual bat card from 2001 UD Pros and Prospects. It's a great card.

Tim

jdfan123
04-17-2003, 02:56 PM
walmart and sams club r the same

pwaldo
04-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by jdfan123
walmart and sams club r the same

No they aren't. They are both owned by the same people but they are not the same store.

Sam's Club you need a "membership card" to get in while Wal Mart anyone can go into.

IggyWH
04-17-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by pwaldo
No they aren't. They are both owned by the same people but they are not the same store.

Sam's Club you need a "membership card" to get in while Wal Mart anyone can go into.

I "think" he meant that Walmart and Sams are the same in that you can get those 7-10 pack boxes there also.

pwaldo
04-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by IggyWH
I "think" he meant that Walmart and Sams are the same in that you can get those 7-10 pack boxes there also.

Okay, I didn't know.

I've only been in Sam's Club once.

And Wal-Mart got rid of all of their cards around 5 years ago and haven't gotten them back since.

The only places like that around here that sell cards are K-Mart and Target. And some of the KMarts have been closing so it looks like there will be even less places to get cards.

stkmtimo
04-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Podstock, what Magic Johnson card did you get? I forgot to ask. Was it on the front of the package?

Tim

llcooljoe
04-18-2003, 02:21 PM
hey i think you lucked out

podstock
04-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Tim,

It was a 1990 Fleer. Wasn't anything special, worth less than a buck, but I figured I'd get the whole package, since it was only $1.99 and I'd try out my luck on the other 34 cards....ended with with several Webber Fleer Rookies. Was able to trade 2 Webbers via this Forum for a Kobe, so I am more than happy!!

it wasn't on the card on the front of the package or the back of the package. What I did was flip the pack up and down (without damaging the cards for other folks), and some cards went up, others stayed in place; and noticed that one of the cards inside had "Earvin Johnson, Jr.".

leftyshan
04-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pwaldo
Okay, I didn't know.

I've only been in Sam's Club once.

And Wal-Mart got rid of all of their cards around 5 years ago and haven't gotten them back since.

The only places like that around here that sell cards are K-Mart and Target. And some of the KMarts have been closing so it looks like there will be even less places to get cards.
I don't know about the East coast but out here there are still some Wal-Marts that sell cards.

stkmtimo
04-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Podstock,
Was it one of those packages with a pack of basketball cards in it also, or one with just the regular cards?

Tim

podstock
04-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Tim, it was a package with just the regular cards, as if someone at a factory picked out 35 cards at random (supposedly), and then placed them in the pack.

Price was $1.99

No un-opened packs; although Walmart does sell 3 un-opened packs for an incredible $3.99 ...yikes!! No wonder the Wal-Mart family are billionaires. lolol

Very rarely do I buy cards that were picked and packaged...but I saw the Magic, so said, what the hell, I'll buy one.

lololol

stkmtimo
04-18-2003, 08:39 PM
lol, pretty nice pull. I love those $9.99 boxes, I get at least 1 serial #ed card per box, and frequently pull GU and autos.

Tim

podstock
04-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Tim, Kmart sells those 9.99 boxes, but there's usually only 7-10 wax packs, consisting of about 5-10 cards. Not too much of a value.

But, I am always on the lookout for good stuff.