PDA

View Full Version : Your view of a rookie card debate

comfortably9numb
02-10-2014, 06:57 PM
So I'm having a mid-life crisis over this.....well, not actually, but it's really annoying me.

I have a Michelle Wie auto from the Leaf Ultimate Golf series. Pretty nice card, she doesn't sign much, so I nabbed one thinking it was her first card and it would be a rookie.

Now, I see this...

http://www.blowoutcards.net/images/ss/2014udauthenticOS.pdf

Note how they highlight Wie AND McIlroy, two golfers that have have certified cards in previous years product. McIlroy even was in UD stuff last year, how on Earth is that a rookie?

MarioLeMagnifique
02-11-2014, 03:21 AM
A similar situation happened to me.
I never thought they would make a RC for Michelle Wie, since it's been a while she's playing golf for now, so I also grabbed one from Ultimate, which is a Fresh Faces /10 spending near 90-95$ for it to make it my only valuable Michelle Wie card that I would own, and we know her auto cards cost so much.

But the thing is, since a real RC definition is a card that must come from the main set, that SP Authentic auto card is actually her first card from a main set, which turns out to be her RC.
Yeah it's like, why the hell do they suddenly make a RC of her like now? They could have done that years ago...

comfortably9numb
02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
A similar situation happened to me.
I never thought they would make a RC for Michelle Wie, since it's been a while she's playing golf for now, so I also grabbed one from Ultimate, which is a Fresh Faces /10 spending near 90-95$ for it to make it my only valuable Michelle Wie card that I would own, and we know her auto cards cost so much.

But the thing is, since a real RC definition is a card that must come from the main set, that SP Authentic auto card is actually her first card from a main set, which turns out to be her RC.
Yeah it's like, why the hell do they suddenly make a RC of her like now? They could have done that years ago...

Yeah I know most cards must be a part of a main set, but wouldn't Leaf Ultimate Base Auto be the legit RC for her? It not a parallel, nor an insert.

MarioLeMagnifique
02-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Indeed, there's something strange in that set, it's not an ordinary set that we're used to collect. The base cards have numbers that look like BA-??. I've always assumed that cards that have a number on the back that are letters would mean they are sub-sets.
In the mix sports beckett magazine, it doesn't mention the attribute RC for any base card in that set. It just looks weird to make a card RC for a year when an athlete is about to reach the veteran status.

comfortably9numb
02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
It just looks weird to make a card RC for a year when an athlete is about to reach the veteran status.

I agree 100% with that, which is why I hope UD doesn't stop making golf cards like they did around 2006 or so. I never thought about the numbering, but if BA is the base, I can still see it both ways