PDA

View Full Version : NFL to ban the N word but some sya it is ok to use????????????

ajcorleone
02-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Here is the link for ESPN's outside the lines

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/10509188/ryan-clark-pittsburgh-steelers-says-tough-police-use-n-word.

I found it hard to believe how many folks Michael WIlbon,Ryan Clark rapper/actor Common who stated on this show that they know what the word means knows its history,knows how it offends but they use it.If you watched the show Wilbon and Common both admitted that if a white person uses it yes it is offensive,but if they use it amongst their friends who are black it is a show of compliment?????? OK I am confused

centrehice
02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I watched the program. It was rather interesting.

I don't know how the NFL is going to police this when the term is used affectionately between two black players that play on the same team and compliment each other about a great play that was just made by one or the other.

pwaldo
02-24-2014, 09:49 PM
If ESPN couldn't talk about the N word or gay players would they just close up shop? Seems like that's all they have been talking about lately.

ajcorleone
02-25-2014, 08:16 AM
But yet these guys swear how it is such a vulgar and abusive word.Hence my confusion I feel it is a terrible word not because I am white because I find it deplurable.But these guys say they know what a horrible word it is and then say it is affectionate in the same breath.WHAT???????????????????????????????
I watched the program. It was rather interesting.

I don't know how the NFL is going to police this when the term is used affectionately between two black players that play on the same team and compliment each other about a great play that was just made by one or the other.

Wickabee
02-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Ever hear two nineteen year old girls talk?

You'd think they hate each other, but the b word is a term of endearment, as well as many other words.

I have a friend I call Cracker on a regular basis.

Good Ole Jim
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't really mind that the league is considering this. When something is controversial in terms of use like the N word, it's best that it's only used around people that share the same feeling as you on its use. The NFL is one of those places that's sooo in the limelight, that rules like this are bound to be made. I don't really care to understand the difference of the use of the word, so as a rule of thumb, I don't say anything that can be taken offensively by someone of a different race or ethnicity.

Wickabee
02-25-2014, 11:20 AM
You also had to realize this would come up with all the mics on the field now. That word making it to a TV is going to do that NFL more damage than generic cursing.

Good Ole Jim
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
I believe there is a delay of about 10 seconds on NFL programming. This is for that exact problem if it were to happen.

centrehice
02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
2.2 second delay is what networks operate on if they feel that something wrong has a chance to be said. But that decision is based on who is in charge on that particular day in the production...

Wickabee
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
You can catch a fair amount in NHL games if you're paying attention.

centrehice
02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
NHL is never on delay, which is why it is the best. NBC has even made a segment especially for it called:

"Sounds of the Game"

Wickabee
02-25-2014, 02:05 PM
NHL is never on delay, which is why it is the best. NBC has even made a segment especially for it called:

"Sounds of the Game"

They made a segment of what the game sounds like, or about the fact they don't delay?

Because if it was the former, they edited that, you know.

sanfran22
02-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Is it just this one word? Or all derogatory words?

gsj68
02-25-2014, 07:54 PM

yea,whats good for the goose...

the next time the amish refer to me as English,im calling the a.c.l.u

centrehice
02-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Following the events of the last 2 days and the use/misuse of this word. The word Redskins is back in the news. The NFL cannot police the "N" word without getting completely rid of this ridiculous moniker that a football team calls themselves.

The NFL has opened a huge can of worms by not getting rid of both at the same time. Daniel Snyder can go to H.E. Double Hockey Sticks, and should be prepared for Lawsuits from American First Nations citizens.

pwaldo
02-25-2014, 08:08 PM

From what I heard it will also outlaw "homophobic" words. There could be more I don't know but it looks like it is more than just one but won't go far enough to ban all derogatory words as the NFL would like to complete at least one game with these new rules.

ajcorleone
02-26-2014, 07:04 AM
It is just the N word from everything I read and saw

ajcorleone
02-26-2014, 07:05 AM
I agree but there is not a major stink made about the B word or cracker like there is the N word.You do not hear or see people raising the roof for calling each other cracker.
Ever hear two nineteen year old girls talk?

You'd think they hate each other, but the b word is a term of endearment, as well as many other words.

I have a friend I call Cracker on a regular basis.

Star_Cards
02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't get how the NFL thinks they are going to police this. I imagine there are a lot of times during a game where it's very hard to hear whats being said on the field even when you are down there. I think it's a pointless rule to even think about. I get that the NFL wants to help change the culture of the use of this word, but penalizing it if it's said in a game just isn't practical.

As far as the double standard... there are plenty of words that people can say to a close friend but can be offensive to another. Tone and one's acquaintance has a lot to do with it.

Wickabee
02-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I agree but there is not a major stink made about the B word or cracker like there is the N word.You do not hear or see people raising the roof for calling each other cracker.

Maybe we should.

ajcorleone
02-26-2014, 04:11 PM
That is on us I guess.
Maybe we should.

sanfran22
02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
That is on us I guess.

It doesn't make money so it would never happen anyway.

Wickabee
02-26-2014, 04:27 PM
It doesn't make money so it would never happen anyway.

Whose fault is that?

sanfran22
02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Whose fault is that?

Those that turn issues into $$$$$$??????

Wickabee
02-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Those that turn issues into $$$$$$??????

Everyone has the ability to do that. Why do you rely on/expect others to do it for you?

sanfran22
02-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Everyone has the ability to do that. Why do you rely on/expect others to do it for you?

I'm not gonna be an "ambulance chaser". I don't care what words anyone says. Others obviously do.

ajcorleone
02-28-2014, 09:22 AM
I was watching OTL Monday on ESPN when Wilbon dropped it on purpose.

Wickabee
02-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm not gonna be an "ambulance chaser". I don't care what words anyone says. Others obviously do.

So why do you care what words they don't say?

ajcorleone
02-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Many good articles are coming about now <br />
<br />
<br />
A New York City federal jury last week found an employer liable for maintaining a hostile work environment when one of its supervisors continuously used...

mrveggieman
03-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Great article AJ thanks for sharing. I know everyone wants to hear my opinion so hear it is. No need to ban any words from the football field the players should be allowed to call each other whatever the hell they want. That being said if a player calls the wrong guy the wrong name and gets his butt kicked mabey that will teach him to think before he speaks.

Wickabee
03-01-2014, 10:33 AM
So you want it to stay so blacks have an excuse to beat up non blacks on the field?

mrveggieman
03-02-2014, 11:55 AM
So you want it to stay so blacks have an excuse to beat up non blacks on the field?

Have you ever been on a football field let alone on any other athletic venue Wick? If so you would about the insults hurled at blacks, whites, latinos, muslims, etc. If you think the n word is in the only insult being said and that some how only blacks will violently react when hearing at and no other slurs are being said to blacks, whites and others not to mention personal attacks about players families and personal lives you are living in a fantasy world. This is a pr move by the nfl but will do nothing to change what's in a man's heart. Imagine all the insults that will be hurled at Michael Sam who is not only black but is also a homosexual.

Wickabee
03-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm not going to dignify that by actually responding to any questions in there. Suffice it to say, your ignorance shows.

And that was a great rant, but it was in no way a response to my request for clarification. If you could actually answer the question that would he great. Maybe you're having trouble with it. Here, I'll help.

It's a simple yes or no question. A 'no' would necessitate further explanation. A 'yes' would not. It'sreally quite simple.

So any time you're willing/able to stay relevant (my sports history has nothing to do with it, though yes, I've played sport, thanks. Now, back to topic.)

Answer the damn question.

mrveggieman
03-02-2014, 10:23 PM

No. You happy now Wick?

Star_Cards
03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Great article AJ thanks for sharing. I know everyone wants to hear my opinion so hear it is. No need to ban any words from the football field the players should be allowed to call each other whatever the hell they want. That being said if a player calls the wrong guy the wrong name and gets his butt kicked mabey that will teach him to think before he speaks.

I don't see how the NFL refs are going to be able to police this. Having the players police it themselves by fighting won't work either. Not many players are going to risk of being suspended for fighting if someone calls them a name... even the N word. If it's said as much as they say it is then there would be lots of fights currently, but there just aren't. I applaud the NFL for wanting to diminish the use of this word in their company, but why single out one word? Think about all of the other horrible things that are said to one another on the playing field.

Star_Cards
03-03-2014, 11:20 AM

My guess is that not very many white guys are using the N word on NFL fields.

Star_Cards
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Have you ever been on a football field let alone on any other athletic venue Wick? If so you would about the insults hurled at blacks, whites, latinos, muslims, etc. If you think the n word is in the only insult being said and that some how only blacks will violently react when hearing at and no other slurs are being said to blacks, whites and others not to mention personal attacks about players families and personal lives you are living in a fantasy world. This is a pr move by the nfl but will do nothing to change what's in a man's heart. Imagine all the insults that will be hurled at Michael Sam who is not only black but is also a homosexual.

This is exactly why the NFL singling out one racial slur and wanting to enforce in-game penalties is completely absurd. If someone wants to disrespect a player on the field they'll find a way to do so without the N word in their verbal arsenal.

Wickabee
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
No. You happy now Wick?

A no requires further explanation of why you don't want a racial epithet removed from the game. Happier, but not happy.

ajcorleone
03-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Just Riley Cooper maybe

ajcorleone
03-03-2014, 05:52 PM
SO Veg once again we have a double standard.And that is what bugs the $%#K out of me

Wickabee
03-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Not really at issue right here.

ajcorleone
03-04-2014, 09:26 AM
The issue is if it is that terrible of a word it should no be used AT ALL BY ANYBODY.Black/white/green the word has a bad meaning so don't use it PERIOD.

Wickabee
03-04-2014, 10:53 AM
The issue is if it is that terrible of a word it should no be used AT ALL BY ANYBODY.Black/white/green the word has a bad meaning so don't use it PERIOD.

A lot of words have bad meanings, but a lot of words have multiple meanings too. Remember when the big deal was hands across the throat, whether choking or slashing? It was deemed that means "kill" or "death" and therefore is inappropriate.

But it can also mean choke, as in get to the game and suddenly you can't play. That's a negative, and it's a taunt, but is it a banable message?

In this case we have a word that refers negatively to a racial group. Some members of that group want to "take that word back" and give it new meaning. Where they're failing, or have failed, is that they haven't let the word lose its old meaning. By taking it back for only themselves, they let it keep the power it has. Generations of white kids are growing up confused because they are told a word they generally hear as a term of endearment in rap songs, movies and yes, on sports fields, is a bad word that shouldn't be used. If you want the word to have no power, take the meaning away by letting it fully mean something else. If you don't want certain people using it, then no one, not even you should use it.

This simply got to a point where the teacher had to say, "If one person can't play nicely with the ball, no one gets to play with the ball."