PDA

View Full Version : Gay football player Michael Sam drafted by the rams

mrveggieman
05-10-2014, 08:14 PM
This is both a football and social story. As long as he cam play ball I'm cool with this.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/sports/football/michael-sam-picked-by-st-louis-rams-in-nfl-draft.html?_r=0&referrer=

shrewsbury
05-10-2014, 09:55 PM
was this illegal?

duane1969
05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I expected him to go higher. All-American, SEC DPoY, big playmaker in college. His measurable were disappointing tho. Only ran a 4.91 in the combine, only 17 reps on the bench press, only a 25 inch vertical...his measurable really hurt him. He is a classic case of hurting himself by performing in the combine. His stock went down after the combine. I was reading he was considered a 2nd-4th round pick prior.

I am sure some will try to say his draft stock dropped because he was openly gay and there probably are some teams that passed because of the media spectacle that would accompany him or simply because he was gay, but any LB/DE that post a 40 time comparable to an offensive lineman and a bench press number that most wide receivers can beat should expect to drop in the draft.

Congrats to him for getting a shot.

gsj68
05-10-2014, 10:14 PM
i thought his on field performance merited a 3-4 round at a 4-3 de,he was co def. poy after all

Wickabee
05-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Should I be the first to point out the obvious somewhat offensive joke here?

gsj68
05-10-2014, 11:50 PM
sure

rtsjr
05-11-2014, 12:08 AM
plus he does not cover the pass well bad combine and that no matter who you are you will drop in draft.

duane1969
05-11-2014, 07:02 PM

I think I know where you are going, but I can be dense at times, especially after the massive dinner I just ate, so you might have to lead me to the water on this one :)

Wickabee
05-12-2014, 12:08 AM
I think I know where you are going, but I can be dense at times, especially after the massive dinner I just ate, so you might have to lead me to the water on this one :)

Well, he wasn't drafted by the Packers, Browns, or Redskins...

sanfran22
05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Well, he wasn't drafted by the Packers, Browns, or Redskins...
Boooo...lol. Truthfully though, he has one move. He's a bullrusher to the qb and that's it. He can't do that in the nfl.

deansayso
05-12-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised he got drafted at all...

1. There were better players than him. (He could prove me wrong and be OK in the NFL)
2. He is going to cause a locker room and media explosion. (Even though there shouldn't be because his being gay should not be an issue)

mrveggieman
05-12-2014, 04:31 PM
No hesitation for networks airing Sam reaction

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/no-hesitation-for-networks-airing-sam-reaction/nftMt/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

mrveggieman
05-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Jones fined after sending tweet about Michael Sam

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/jones-fined-after-sending-tweet-about-michael-sam/nftKZ/

ajcorleone
05-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Hmm not looking out for his brother man is he
Jones fined after sending tweet about Michael Sam

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/jones-fined-after-sending-tweet-about-michael-sam/nftKZ/

ajcorleone
05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/15106_751911634843485_6532672695283191113_n.jpg

ajcorleone
05-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Media went nuts over how "brave" Michael Sam's kiss was. Funny how we don't hear about this Eagles pick. He's 6'9", a former Army Ranger, and earned a Bronze Star. He represents all that's best in our nation, and embodies brave in my book.
(http://allenbwest.com/2014/05/sams-kiss-brave-villanuevas-bronze-star-now-thats-brave/)
(http://allenbwest.com/2014/05/sams-kiss-brave-villanuevas-bronze-star-now-thats-brave/)https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1896749_10152742882821729_5081567337154060794_n.jp g
(http://allenbwest.com/2014/05/sams-kiss-brave-villanuevas-bronze-star-now-thats-brave/)

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Media went nuts over how "brave" Michael Sam's kiss was. Funny how we don't hear about this Eagles pick. He's 6'9", a former Army Ranger, and earned a Bronze Star. He represents all that's best in our nation, and embodies brave in my book.
(http://allenbwest.com/2014/05/sams-kiss-brave-villanuevas-bronze-star-now-thats-brave/)https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1896749_10152742882821729_5081567337154060794_n.jp g

I did hear a brief mention of the guy but don't know that much about him.

duane1969
05-15-2014, 09:21 AM
I did hear a breif mention of the guy but don't know that much about him.

That was his point. The media will hype Sam as some form of hero for just being who he is and ignore an actual heroic person. It really is sad.

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 09:30 AM
That was his point. The media will hype Sam as some form of hero for just being who he is and ignore an actual heroic person. It really is sad.

Also we had military vets play pro sports before so that is not anything new. Sam is the first active openly gay player in the nfl so it is news.

ajcorleone
05-15-2014, 09:46 AM
That's great Sam came out good for him for being the man he is.But bravery is something I think we use too loosely.Bravery describes men and women who put their lives on the line for their families and their country.Or maybe I am crazy
Also we had military vets play pro sports before so that is not anything new. Sam is the first active openly gay player in the nfl so it is news.

Star_Cards
05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
To me there are various ways one can be brave. It doesn't have to be limited to one putting their life on the line such as a soldier or a first responder. Just because an act doesn't put a person at risk of losing their life doesn't mean it still can't be considered brave. It seems like people get wrapped up in defining the epitome of brave and thinking that is the only way to be brave.

And anyone watching ESPN and expecting them not to overboard on a few specific topics you're obviously not aware that that's exactly what ESPN does. Favre, Lebron, Yankees, Red Sox and so on. They can't help themselves.

duane1969
05-15-2014, 12:17 PM

News? Yes. Heroic? No. It took a measure of courage to come out before the draft, but a heroic act is not kissing your boyfriend on national TV. That has already been done.

To me there are various ways one can be brave. It doesn't have to be limited to one putting their life on the line such as a soldier or a first responder. Just because an act doesn't put a person at risk of losing their life doesn't mean it still can't be considered brave. It seems like people get wrapped up in defining the epitome of brave and thinking that is the only way to be brave.

And anyone watching ESPN and expecting them not to overboard on a few specific topics you're obviously not aware that that's exactly what ESPN does. Favre, Lebron, Yankees, Red Sox and so on. They can't help themselves.

Brave and heroic are two different things. I agree he was brave to come out before the draft. I do not agree that it was a heroic act. One does not simply become a hero by doing something that takes bravery. If that is the case then any yahoo could be considered heroic for doing something that the average person would not.

I agree about ESPN, that is why I never, ever watch it.

shrewsbury
05-15-2014, 12:34 PM
why did he need to kiss him on TV? To prove he way gay?

I don't get the hype.

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 12:35 PM

I don't get the hype.

A lot of ballplayers kiss their s/o when they are drafted. I don't believe that he was trying to prove anything.

Wickabee
05-15-2014, 12:45 PM

I don't get the hype.

Why wouldn't he kiss him? He got drafted to the NFL.

ajcorleone
05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
ESPN made this more of a story than it was.As always

gladdyontherise
05-15-2014, 01:32 PM

I don't get the hype.

You really think he was standing there thinking "Oh man, I got drafted! Oh look, a camera is right there, let me kiss my boyfriend!"?

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 01:35 PM
You really think he was standing there thinking "Oh man, I got drafted! Oh look, a camera is right there, let me kiss my boyfriend!"?

Could be but don't think a straight ballplayer never thought the same thing.

texansrangerfan73
05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm all good with this. Heck they (FG) wants to allow GLBT into the service so why pro football.

Star_Cards
05-15-2014, 02:06 PM
News? Yes. Heroic? No. It took a measure of courage to come out before the draft, but a heroic act is not kissing your boyfriend on national TV. That has already been done.

Brave and heroic are two different things. I agree he was brave to come out before the draft. I do not agree that it was a heroic act. One does not simply become a hero by doing something that takes bravery. If that is the case then any yahoo could be considered heroic for doing something that the average person would not.

I agree about ESPN, that is why I never, ever watch it.

I wouldn't necessarily call what he did heroic either. I'd define it more as inspiring. I also agree that what he did, in a league that has never had an openly gay player was very brave.

Same here, I can't stand ESPN.

Star_Cards
05-15-2014, 02:12 PM

I don't get the hype.

I wonder how many kisses where shown in the room the top guys sat in at Radio City Music Hall? I assume he kissed him because he is his significant other and he was excited that he just realized part of a very big dream of his. I doubt he planned it to prove that he was gay.

gsj68
05-15-2014, 02:20 PM
yea,theres alot of emotion,hugs and kisses but going billybob and angelinia with a cake was a little much

Star_Cards
05-15-2014, 02:43 PM
yea,theres alot of emotion,hugs and kisses but going billybob and angelinia with a cake was a little much

yeah, I thought the cake was a bit odd. I was confused why the celebration involved cake. lol

shrewsbury
05-15-2014, 02:56 PM
really, so even though he in a reality tv show via the oprah network, none of this was staged at all?

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 02:59 PM
I wonder how many kisses where shown in the room the top guys sat in at Radio City Music Hall? I assume he kissed him because he is his significant other and he was excited that he just realized part of a very big dream of his. I doubt he planned it to prove that he was gay.

How many kisses were shown of a 7th round pick? Or 6th,5th,4th,3rd? It was planned to make a statement. It was grandstanding at it's finest. I believe Oprah's camera crew was there for their new reality show on her network.

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 03:20 PM
How many kisses were shown of a 7th round pick? Or 6th,5th,4th,3rd? It was planned to make a statement. It was grandstanding at it's finest. I believe Oprah's camera crew was there for their new reality show on her network.

You being a conservative capitalist aren't trying to knock espn for making their money are you?

Star_Cards
05-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Obviously his story was way more of a story than most of the other 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders and rightfully so. I'm not put off by this being a story at all, nor am I annoyed by it being reported on or having cameras there. It's a pretty big deal in my opinion and worthy of coverage. I don't know who the cameras belonged to, but if it was part of his show, how is he different from anyone else promoting their personal brand. His reactions seems pretty genuine from what I saw but have only seen it a few times.

I'm more annoyed with the NFL grandstanding at Radio City Music Hall for 3 days to do a single draft, but just ignored it for the most part.

shrewsbury
05-15-2014, 03:42 PM
anyone picked before him deserves the same airtime and treatment. someones sexuality has nothing to do with their ability to play.

I also wonder if it wasn't for Oprah, if he would have been picked much later.

Wickabee
05-15-2014, 03:47 PM
really, so even though he in a reality tv show via the oprah network, none of this was staged at all?

See? Give you enough time and you answer your own question.

deansayso
05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
anyone picked before him deserves the same airtime and treatment. someones sexuality has nothing to do with their ability to play.

Couldn't have been picked too much later

gladdyontherise
05-15-2014, 04:18 PM

You're giving him too much credit. You must think he's a REALLY good actor for him to break down crying in happiness, then pull off a 'publicity stunt'.

Who cares if he kissed his boyfriend? It's no different than the entire weekend of the other plays kissing their girlfriend/mom/dad etc.

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 04:24 PM
You're giving him too much credit. You must think he's a REALLY good actor for him to break down crying in happiness, then pull off a 'publicity stunt'.

Who cares if he kissed his boyfriend? It's no different than the entire weekend of the other plays kissing their girlfriend/mom/dad etc.

This. ^^^^^^

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Then why were there camera's in a 7th round picks house and why was cake involved? The whole scene was a set up and a mockery for any cause he wanted to further. It was done for sensational purposes and was nothing like those that kiss there mom, girlfriend ect.

gladdyontherise
05-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Then why were there camera's in a 7th round picks house and why was cake involved? The whole scene was a set up and a mockery for any cause he wanted to further. It was done for sensational purposes and was nothing like those that kiss there mom, girlfriend ect.

There were camera's there because it's a big deal he's the first openly gay football player. I never noticed/paid attention to any cake, who cares about it anyway?

Again, you think he was a good enough actor to break down crying in happiness, then think to himself. "I JUST GO DRAFTED!!! Oh wait, I need to kiss my boyfriend, there's a camera on me!"

Giving him way too much credit.

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 04:43 PM
There were camera's there because it's a big deal he's the first openly gay football player. I never noticed/paid attention to any cake, who cares about it anyway?

Again, you think he was a good enough actor to break down crying in happiness, then think to himself. "I JUST GO DRAFTED!!! Oh wait, I need to kiss my boyfriend, there's a camera on me!"

Giving him way too much credit.
It shouldn't be a big deal and camera's were there for his reality show. It was a staged event, it was over the top with cake and tongue and that is garbage......

shrewsbury
05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
I am with sanfran on this one (wait, what did I just say?!!!)

gladdyontherise
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
It shouldn't be a big deal and camera's were there for his reality show. It was a staged event, it was over the top with cake and tongue and that is garbage......

The only camera that was there was the ESPN camera from what I read....

Answer my question though, you think he's a good enough actor to cry on command?

And I agree, it shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. I didn't think it was a big deal, but ESPN has to take the story and ride it into the ground, that's how it works with them.

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Ya'll realize the espn is in the business of providing televised entertainment don't you?

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I am with sanfran on this one (wait, what did I just say?!!!)

You chose wisely ;)

Wickabee
05-15-2014, 04:52 PM
But if it was a straight man with a hot girlfriend and a reality show it would he okay, right guys?

gladdyontherise
05-15-2014, 04:54 PM
But if it was a straight man with a hot girlfriend and a reality show it would he okay, right guys?

You mean AJ McCarron and his more famous girlfriend?

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 04:54 PM
The only camera that was there was the ESPN camera from what I read....

Answer my question though, you think he's a good enough actor to cry on command?

And I agree, it shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. I didn't think it was a big deal, but ESPN has to take the story and ride it into the ground, that's how it works with them.
Oprah's were there, and yes, I think he could cry on command possibly. Why not?

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 04:55 PM

No. Sam made a mockery of his "cause". You don't need to suck face and cake celebrate for any reason. I can't remember anyone else ever doing that. It was a money ploy. He's getting a reality show, probably a book deal/movie and he made sure he got drafted. He's a mediocre football player that wouldn't make it out of training camp with out this ploy..... He's probably a marketing genius lol. Everyone is talking about him.

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 04:56 PM
No. Sam made a mockery of his "cause".

How?

gladdyontherise
05-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Oprah's were there, and yes, I think he could cry on command possibly. Why not?

I think you're giving him far too much credit.

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 05:02 PM
How?

Really? name the last player that had a cake episode at the draft. It was grandstanding at its finest. HE'S A 7TH ROUND PICK! He's not getting married.....

mrveggieman
No. Sam made a mockery of his "cause". You don't need to suck face and cake celebrate for any reason. I can't remember anyone else ever doing that. It was a money ploy. He's getting a reality show, probably a book deal/movie and he made sure he got drafted. He's a mediocre football player that wouldn't make it out of training camp with out this ploy..... He's probably a marketing genius lol. Everyone is talking about him.

Again you are a conservitive capitalist. Why are you mad at that?

sanfran22
I think you're giving him far too much credit.

Possibly, but time will tell....

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 05:05 PM

What does that have to do with anything? I don't care what he does financially but I find the whole thing disingenuous and a farce. That was the whole point... But people like you are the reason they do these things I suppose....

mrveggieman
05-15-2014, 05:20 PM
What does that have to do with anything? I don't care what he does financially but I find the whole thing disingenuous and a farce. That was the whole point... But people like you are the reason they do these things I suppose....

People like me, please explain. I watch the draft because I love football and want to see which cards I will be collecting this year. I would think that is the same reason all of us on here like the draft. Most draft pics are going to show some type of emotion when drafted. I am puzzled by your people like me remark.

sanfran22
05-15-2014, 05:27 PM
People like me, please explain. I watch the draft because I love football and want to see which cards I will be collecting this year. I would think that is the same reason all of us on here like the draft. Most draft pics are going to show some type of emotion when drafted. I am puzzled by your people like me remark.

You'll figure it out one day I hope. Question though, would you "sell out" for the money?

Wickabee
05-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Really? name the last player that had a cake episode at the draft. It was grandstanding at its finest. HE'S A 7TH ROUND PICK! He's not getting married.....

Blame Oprah and her producers for setting it up.

ajcorleone
05-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Why do you always go back to this idiotic answer.Is that all you have anymore Veg??? You use to actually add to a conversation.

pwaldo
05-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Michael Sam is 24 years old?

mrveggieman
05-16-2014, 09:55 AM
You'll figure it out one day I hope. Question though, would you "sell out" for the money?

Hell no. There is a word that we use for people who make fools of themselves on reality tv. It is not suitable for posting on SCF however.

jlzinck
05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I will tell you this....if the Patriots drafted Sam and found out AFTERWARDS that he already a deal in place for this "documentary" he wouldn't make it past the 1st mini camp. For someone who wanted to be just known for football and not a gay football player he and his handlers are sure not doing a good job of that.
Go to his website and buy the #SamStrong shirts

sanfran22
05-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Blame Oprah and her producers for setting it up.

I agree, and Sam as well..... This whole thing was about the money IMO.

habsheaven
05-16-2014, 12:47 PM
I am sure the guy would love to be just known as a football player but he has to be realistic and turning down Oprah's money before actually making the pros would be stupid. Especially when you consider how low in the draft he went.

Wickabee
05-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Sam went for the money and I don't blame him.

Look, I really know nothing about him except that he's the guy who took a major step for gays. Someone was going to, it ended up being him. By all accounts he's a decent player with a 50/50 shot of making it in the NFL. A 50/50 shot in the pros is the farthest from a sure thing you can get. So he has a choice; try to make it in football as just another player and likely fail, or use what he can to get his. If people will pay him for his story, sell it! If they will pay money for a kiss and a cake, pucker up and wear something nice you can live without! He's not "selling out" this way and anyone who thinks he is either has a problem with him as a person, or hates to see others make easy money.

Here's the thing, it wasn't easy money. You want easy money, look at Danny Watkins. He capitalized on a great story; trained for firefighting with tons of volunteer and wildfire experience, starts playing at 22 and goes first round to the Eagles at 27. Great story, super sellable, but he didn't have to because he went round 1. That means multi million dollar, partially insured contract. He's now on Miami's roster and probably will site 2nd or 3rd string at best. The guy played for 5 years, went 1st round and walked away just from that a millionaire. That's easy money.

You know what isn't easy money? Playing a sport you love with, against, and for people who would hate you if they knew who you were. Working your entire life towards a goal, and still not being good enough. That's hard money. His being gay, and strong enough to say it insures he gets his. Whether he gets an honest shot for it or not, whether he ever plays a down, he's insured that he's taken care of. It's sad that being honest about something is such a tradable commodity these days, but if it is, trade away.

Maybe then the intrinsic value of honesty might come back as a fad.

Star_Cards
05-16-2014, 01:46 PM

It's more about the story. Yes this story has to do with sexuality but he's the first openly gay NFL player to be drafted. You may be annoyed by the coverage and in this day and age most stories are over exposed, but it's still a pretty big deal. As far as everyone else picked before him deserves the same airtime... It's not like there's an equal time rule or anything. Heck Manziel got way more airtime than most of the 20+ guys that got picked before him. It's about the story.

I hadn't heard about the show that oprah's network picked up until Tuesday I think. I'm not sure that had an effect but have no idea what teams knew about this show. I'd assume not many, but you never know. I'd bet that a show would have swayed people to pass on him more just because of the added attention and and possible distractions for the rest of the team.

Star_Cards
05-16-2014, 01:50 PM
The yearly NFL base salary is just under $500,000. I highly doubt that he's getting that much from the deal of his reality show. I'd say it's more of an awareness and exposure thing than it is about money.

Wickabee
05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
The yearly NFL base salary is just under $500,000. I highly doubt that he's getting that much from the deal of his reality show. I'd say it's more of an awareness and exposure thing than it is about money.

Not so much for the money, but for the insurance. He can get drafted, signed, tryout, and never see a cent unless he gets a guaranteed contract. Meanwhile the Rams are already forever the first team in the category, so their part is basically done.

This insures he isn't just a spectacle, but a paid spectacle. As great as awareness is for the group, it's worthless for the individual who attained it. Noteriety only get a you so far for so long. You need to get paid.

This way he makes NFL money, show money, or both. Without it, there's a good chance he walks away with nothing.

Star_Cards
05-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Not so much for the money, but for the insurance. He can get drafted, signed, tryout, and never see a cent unless he gets a guaranteed contract. Meanwhile the Rams are already forever the first team in the category, so their part is basically done.

This insures he isn't just a spectacle, but a paid spectacle. As great as awareness is for the group, it's worthless for the individual who attained it. Noteriety only get a you so far for so long. You need to get paid.

This way he makes NFL money, show money, or both. Without it, there's a good chance he walks away with nothing.

Good point. He's definitely branding himself, in my opinion.

I just heard on the Radio that the Rams didn't know about the show before he drafted him. I'd think that maybe they would have passed had they known. It will be interesting to see if they let cameras into their facilities for his show.

boba
05-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Can someone tell me if I'm supposed to care or if I'm not supposed to care. Because I thought it was rude to make a big deal out of someone's sexual orientation.

habsheaven
05-16-2014, 03:23 PM

I guess I don't know enough about the NFL. I thought you had to make the team and sign a contract before you get paid?

mrveggieman
05-16-2014, 03:36 PM
I guess I don't know enough about the NFL. I thought you had to make the team and sign a contract before you get paid?

You get paid a flat fee for making it through training camp and playing in preseason games. The regular season is where you make the real money.

cowboysrgr8
05-16-2014, 04:03 PM
its sad he said its all about him being a football player but he is making it out to be more about him being gay than a football player.

now when the rams do get rid of him its going to make them look like they did it because he is gay and not a good football player

Wickabee
05-16-2014, 04:16 PM
You get paid a flat fee for making it through training camp and playing in preseason games. The regular season is where you make the real money.

This. The flat fee is nominal and getting cut at any time is the end of the contract.

Watkins signed for $7m, played 2 seasons, was cut and walked away with a full $4m because he had a guarantee in his contract for $4m.

mrveggieman
05-16-2014, 04:25 PM
This. The flat fee is nominal and getting cut at any time is the end of the contract.

Watkins signed for $7m, played 2 seasons, was cut and walked away with a full $4m because he had a guarantee in his contract for $4m.

Yeah I really hate how they can cut you if you underperform your contract at the drop of a dime and you are entitled to nothing else but if you out perform it they are not required to give you anything extra. However if you are their "franchise" player and lose you right to become a free agent.

Star_Cards
05-16-2014, 04:40 PM

obviously he does. I'm aware that he has to make the team to even make league minimum. My point was that the NFL route is a much more lucrative avenue over a reality TV show on the O Network.

Wickabee
05-16-2014, 07:01 PM
obviously he does. I'm aware that he has to make the team to even make league minimum. My point was that the NFL route is a much more lucrative avenue over a reality TV show on the O Network.

The Oprah show is a sure thing now.
The NFL is still a dream at this point.

Insurance.

pwaldo
05-16-2014, 07:22 PM
I will tell you this....if the Patriots drafted Sam and found out AFTERWARDS that he already a deal in place for this "documentary" he wouldn't make it past the 1st mini camp. For someone who wanted to be just known for football and not a gay football player he and his handlers are sure not doing a good job of that.
Go to his website and buy the #SamStrong shirts

The Patriots being upset that somebody was filming them without their prior knowledge. That's a good one. Bill wouldn't have drafted him because he would have no use for him on the team because he doesn't appear to be as good as ESPN makes him out to be. He ran slow, couldn't jump, and benched some of the worst numbers for a defensive player. Add in that he is older than most of the other players and it looks like the Rams just took him to save the NFL from getting blasted by ESPN 24/7 about how they are a bunch of bigots and wouldn't draft a player because he was gay. This guy is like the gay Tim Tebow if the Rams cut or release him there will be a wave of people campaigning to get every team in the NFL to sign him even though there doesn't seem to be much interest from NFL teams to have him on the roster.

duane1969
05-16-2014, 10:29 PM

I am pretty sure he won't get any guaranteed money. 7th round draft picks tend to get 1-2 year rookie minimum deals so they can be cut for minimum cost if it gets to that. For this year the rookie minimum is $420k (not exactly chump change), but if they don't make it out of training camp then they get nothing but their weekly paychecks which amounts to about $8000 per week.

Wickabee
05-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Yeah, not bad, but not enough to really set yourself up the way a TV show + book deal + talk circuit+ etc can.

ajcorleone
05-17-2014, 06:59 AM
Exactly
Yeah, not bad, but not enough to really set yourself up the way a TV show + book deal + talk circuit+ etc can.

ajcorleone
05-17-2014, 07:00 AM
:love0030::love0030:
its sad he said its all about him being a football player but he is making it out to be more about him being gay than a football player.

now when the rams do get rid of him its going to make them look like they did it because he is gay and not a good football player

Star_Cards
05-19-2014, 11:14 AM
It's reported that the show has been postponed. I find this to be a great idea. One less distraction for him and his team that I think will give him a much better chance to make the team.